Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Cup please !!!

Greetings CSers,

I would like to start some cupping at a coffee group we have here at home but I havent even watched a cupping session , apart from comp stuff on You Tube. I have a manual pour over and Auto Drip too (technivorm). I have heaps of paper filters and a Swiss gold also.
    Can someone please give me brewing instructions including coffee to water ratio and steep time etc please.

Thanks heaps,

Chris

Re: How to Cup please !!!

Originally posted by 6E7978667372792D2E2D1C0 link=1239347244/0#0 date=1239347244
    Can someone please give me brewing instructions including coffee to water ratio and steep time etc please.

Thanks heaps,

Chris  
    Chris try this site for instructions, cupping forms and see the link on the bottom about the Tongue map for coffee  
    Also videos of  professionals cuppers  so you cant go wrong

http://www.coffeeresearch.org/coffee/cupping.htm

KK

Comment

Chris, Ive got a bunch of forms if you PM me your email address.

But in a nutshell, 8.25g in 150ml of off the boil water, steep 4 mins, break crust with back of spoon, wait 4 more min and slurp away. You can get proper cupping spoons but a soup spoon works too.

Comment

Thanks KK that looks good.
        PM sent Michelle.

Chris

Comment

Had my first play today. Just used 2 small roasts, one Guatmalan and PNG Wahgi. The most fun was trying to roast such a small amount 200gms and 300gms respectively.
          Anyway 150ml to 8.25 as Michelle suggested and I was pleasantly surprised by how good it tasted (no spitting out yet).
          Lots of variables not least of which was the roasting. The 200gm batch was done in 7 minutes :-[ reminded me of the popper days.

Anyway all good fun and if you havent had a play give it a go

Chris

Comment

Im very inspired by this thread and going to try get some more variety the next green bay to get a cupping session on the go with some friends, cant wait!

Comment

thats awesome wisie! Im not gonna lie, Im always super happy when people come together and cup coffee.

Comment

Hi - this is my first post so hope I havent put it in the wrong spot.
                Great information above about cupping etc.... one thing I was looking for and still yet to find is a taste chart ie what kind of aromas, fragrances and flavours to expect from different coffee/regions. Anyone able to help this beginner?

Comment

This is a Coffee tasters flavour wheel

http://www.wholelattelove.com/articles/images/coffee_tasting_flavor_wheel.jpg

Hope it helps

KK

Comment

Nice one KK

Comment

This is also a great resource for the cupping process with pictures

http://noquartercoffee.wordpress.com/2009/03/12/a-tale-of-three-roasts-part-2/

KK

Comment

Thank you KK - fantastic !

Comment

hey, in regards to the wheel, its not entirely useful without the Lingle book of the explainations of the tastes/aromas on the wheel. Its amazing how wrong people are in using the descriptors on the wheel, myself included. Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by 203C3C2338590 link=1239347244/12#12 date=1241882553
                            hey, in regards to the wheel, its not entirely useful without the Lingle book of the explainations of the tastes/aromas on the wheel. Its amazing how wrong people are in using the descriptors on the wheel, myself included. Just a thought.
                            And the wheel and book should then be coupled with an aroma and taste kit.

Never ending is it?

Comment

Originally posted by 624348484F55260 link=1239347244/13#13 date=1241913790
                              YeeZa wrote on Today at 01:22:

And the wheel and book should then be coupled with an aroma and taste kit.

Never ending is it? Wink
                              Haha, yeah totally. The Nez Du Cafe kit wouldnt go astray, thats for sure. 8-)

Comment

Working...
                              X