Colombian Volcan Galeras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colombian Volcan Galeras

This is the first coffee snobs "brown bean" I have been unsatisfied with.

I found it to be very sharp and acidic on the palate and I cannot face it as an espresso or piccolo late. Makes a nice mocha.

I tried blending it with my other beans on hand: Ethiopian Harrar Longberry, however even small amounts of the Colombian overwhelms its African goodness.

As an aside, in order to get a reasonable pour, I had to set my grinder right down at the minimum.

Anyone have some tips on how I might get some more joy out of the next 250g? Other than drown it in milk and cocoa :

Re: Colombian Volcan Galeras

Not sure where its taken to at the roastery, but I have had this as a Green and was one of my favourites taken just into SC. Very smooth, plenty of flavour, hints of choc/caramel.

Comment

Hi Semillon,

Its possible that youre looking a coffee which is roasted a tad lighter than you prefer. Its a given that all CS coffees are excellent, but we all have preferences as well.

Another thing that comes to mind is that you are drinking it younger than you are accustomed to? It may be worth giving it a few days and revisiting it. All coffees will peak differently and you will always see CS coffees before peak rather than after it...Kinda nice problem to have I reckon :-?

Give it time, try it again, and if it still doesnt ring your bell, you just learned a little more about your palate...

Enjoy the journey

Chris

Comment

I tend to agree Semillon - I was a tad disappointed with this one too.

Roasted to start of 2nd crack - was expecting a good bodied coffee like most Sth Americans but this is very light and bright as a SO - slightly more palatable through a filter than espresso. Anyway I am using it to add acidity in blends...

having said that i have only tried it relatively young so will try again after a good weeks rest.

:-/

Comment

I must say I really like this one when Im feeling like a caramel style coffee. I roast it just into 2C and find I get caramel, caramel, caramel. I do leave it 10 days before opening as I find all beans opened a bit early are bright for me, and 10 days does it for me for this bean. (I find most beans I prefer at 10 days, but some as early as 5 and some as late as 14).

Comment

Originally posted by 362C28362E242120450 link=1268024013/3#3 date=1268057890
            .....this is very light and bright as a SO - slightly more palatable through a filter than espresso
            Hmm....That sounds about 100% on the money for a typical Colombian to me.... :-?

Comment

x2 on Caramal, I have not experienced this as an overly acidic coffee, and infact find it the opposite, You can roast it fairly light usually without risk of it being to bright.

Comment

Originally posted by 0C393433071B373E3E3D3D580 link=1268024013/2#2 date=1268040732
                Hi Semillon,

Its possible that youre looking a coffee which is roasted a tad lighter than you prefer. Its a given that all CS coffees are excellent, but we all have preferences as well.

Another thing that comes to mind is that you are drinking it younger than you are accustomed to? It may be worth giving it a few days and revisiting it. All coffees will peak differently and you will always see CS coffees before peak rather than after it...Kinda nice problem to have I reckon  :-?

Give it time, try it again, and if it still doesnt ring your bell, you just learned a little more about your palate...

Enjoy the journey

Chris
                Usually I cant help myself and I give new purchases a taste only a few days after roasting, some are quite interesting at that stage. This one I have given a couple of weeks and it still tastes overly acidic.

I must admit I have not detected any hints of caramel - though that is a characteristic I see in many other South/Central American coffees.

As you suggest, lesson learned. Like Indonesian coffee, this Colombian is unpalatable

Comment

[QUOTE=4A7C747075757677190 link=1268024013/7#7 date=1268108318]
                  Originally posted by 0C393433071B373E3E3D3D580 link=1268024013/2#2 date=1268040732

As you suggest, lesson learned. Like Indonesian coffee, this Colombian is unpalatable
                  It actually sounds more like you didnt enjoy the way it was roasted rather then the bean itself. A bit of a shame to write off columbian coffee based on this. Likewise with indonesian coffee, how much have you had? It varies massively between regions.

Comment

Hmm....That sounds about 100% on the money for a typical Colombian to me....
                    Admittedly I havent tried many Columbians but compared to my experience of an Excelso in the past this Supremo was much brighter -the Excelso had much more body and sweetness which I tend to enjoy more, thats all.

Comment

I found the above comments very useful and informative as I have just started to put this bean through the Perfetta.
                      My first attempt at 6days post roast produced a nice pour but my assessment of the result (short black) was that it was fairly light, short on the palate and slightly bitter with no trace of the caramel. My pour today suggests that it needs a fairly fine grind and in other respects same as yesterday. Cant say I noticed an acidic character (& I am very acid sensitive)
                      Overall, its a nice bean and I did enjoy my coffee, but probably reinforces for me that the depth and complexity of the WOW blend is close to my ideal.
                      I do get the feeling that it will open-up more with a bit more age post-roast. I will post further impressions next week as this is my first Colombian & I have a bit to learn about the single origin varieties.

Comment

I just finished the last of my stash today. Some of my lighter roasts were acidic but I corrected this with a lower dose and finer grind 16g produced good balance. I like them acidic though.

Roasting to about 1min before 2nd crack yielded some wonderful syrupy sweet ristretto pours.

Ill buy it again if it comes up in Beanbay.  

Comment

The bean is now a couple of weeks old and as expected, has opened up considerably. I am now enjoying a fuller flavour that hangs around longer. Yes, it is a bit more bitter than I am used to with the WOW or the Ceja de Selva but not overly so. I couldnt say I thought it was particularly acidic - which is good for me as I do not often drink milk-based coffee and dont need the ability to cut through the milk. My final analysis is that this is a very nice bean, roasted to perfection and I will certainly be ordering it again. If this is a good example of single origin then bring it on!

Comment

Roasted some of this to around CS9 5 days ago and am now drinking it, unlike some others I enjoy the CVG, chocolate/caramel flavours? not sure about this way of describing coffee, to me it has a rich coffee flavour with a syrupy mouth feel and great crema, not at all acidic.
                            What do I mean by coffee flavour? like everyone I have benchmarks or taste memories that were established early in life, anything that approaches these criteria ring my bell and anything that fails to get close I dont reorder.
                            Never have been one to look for elusive characteristics in wine or coffee (i.e. fruit, wood, earth, berries, tobacco etc, I either like it or I dont.
                            So on a scale of one to ten I would give CVG a 7, not the greatest but very drinkable and I will certainly order again.

Comment

After the bag sat in darkness for almost a year, I just tried some of this, taken to a darker roast at about a minute or so past 2C.

At 10 days post roast, it has nice body, no acidity and I thought generally a well rounded flavour.

Of course it cant compare to MM, or the Yemen, but still a very nice bean that I would order again.

Comment

Working...
                              X