No announcement yet.

Ethiopian Harrar Longberry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tried roasting this bean for the first time last week and found about 15% of weight made up by quakers (they bothered me so had to pick them out). In the BeanBay description they are listed as dry processed and not to worry about a splotchy coloured roast.

Is 15% quakers what you would normally expect with this bean? Had more than a few darker than the average color of the roast also.

Awesome aroma. Can't wait to try them after a weeks rest.

Comment

Entirely normal.

What did it taste like with the light coloured beans?
      What did the light coloured beans taste like by themselves?
      What did it taste like with the light coloured beans removed?

I drink this exactly as it is nearly every day (twice today) in the Brazen at home at it's one of my favourite filter coffees and I certainly don't remove them but do the tests above and determine your own need.

Comment

I think this is an underrated bean, which means more for us!

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
          Entirely normal.

What did it taste like with the light coloured beans?
          What did the light coloured beans taste like by themselves?
          What did it taste like with the light coloured beans removed?
          Haven't tried them yet as roasting was on Wednesday. First roast with these beans so wasn't sure if the extra quakers was normal as I haven't come across this before. Already removed and tossed the quakers so maybe next roast.

Will now leave them to rest undisturbed until Tuesday before trying. Need to have a play around with subsequent roasts to find the Behmor profile I'm happy with.

Comment

I have never removed the quakers, I feel they are part of the unique taste of this bean.

Comment

Originally posted by topshot View Post
              I think this is an underrated bean, which means more for us!
              Black, white, espresso, filter this bean is always interesting enough without being "weird" and excellent value. It's about all we ever have at home as it's Paula and the kids all-round favourite too.

At work the Brazen gets lots of different things through it (ie: was Colombian Geisha on Thursday... sweet, juicy, yum) but it's unusual for the grinder at home not to have Harrar Longberry in it.

Comment

Any suggestions on a suitable Behmor profile for it? I tried 400g on P4 and stopped it just before 2C (maybe just a few pops of 2C at beginning of cooling cycle). Did decide to try it yesterday (4 days old) but found it a bit of an assault on the taste buds (really full on). P4 might have been too long a duration even with dropping power to 1/2 at 1C. Will rest it further and see how it develops.

It did have a beautiful even fine grind at around my usual settings on the Compak but needed to drop back about 2 dots coarser to get correct flow.

Comment

Originally posted by CafeLotta View Post

It did have a beautiful even fine grind at around my usual settings on the Compak but needed to drop back about 2 dots coarser to get correct flow.
                  I can't help with the Behmor specifics, but I do find this is one of the few beans that will choke my grinder using a 'normal' profile. So I always aim to ramp faster for this bean (say 1-2 minutes faster to 1C than I would for a central for example) and then also drop 5-6° earlier as well to achieve the bests result.

Comment

stopped it just before 2C
                    Just before second crack or first?

You can drop this at the end of first crack too and it's pretty good.

Play, taste, play some more, taste some more.
                    You won't get a magic pill from anyone, you need to learn what works for you, your equipment and your tastes.
                    ...that's the real reason to home roast!

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
                      Just before second crack or first?

You can drop this at the end of first crack too and it's pretty good.
                      Power dropped to 1/2 at first sign of 1C. Stopped roast at the end of first crack. Maybe had a pop of second crack during the start of cooling cycle.

I am intending to experiment but had just wondered if anyone had a preferred Behmor profile for it. I tried P4 initially. Will probably try P3 next time. Just realised I still had the 20g basket in when I tried it at 4 days which was quite overpowering. It did have a long lingering fruity after taste but was a bit overpowering at first taste. One of the nicest looking grinds in the basket I've had though.
                      Last edited by CafeLotta; 24th July 2019, 10:40 AM.

Comment

After a week and a half rest post roast, gave it another taste using a 15g VST basket this time and can now see why it gets a good rap. Can smell and taste the blueberry. Good Crema. Also a very pleasant long lingering fruity after taste. This roast was probably a bit over so next one will be adjusted. The smaller basket tamed the very concentrated flavor to suit my preference. A very different flavor to what I normally prefer but by the end of the cup it definitely had my attention.

Comment

After a week and a half rest post roast, gave it another taste using a 15g VST basket this time and can now see why it gets a good rap. Can smell and taste the blueberry. Good Crema. Also a very pleasant long lingering fruity after taste. This roast was probably a bit over so next one will be adjusted. The smaller basket tamed the very concentrated flavor to suit my preference. A very different flavor to what I normally prefer but by the end of the cup it definitely had my attention.
                          Might need some help here

I actually had really good results on an earlier batch (i don't roast, so all from Beanbay); 16g, between 2-2.25 ratio in about 27-28 seconds.

Currently running 17g, around 1.75 ratio (i stop at blonding); around 29 seconds, typ. figures, they fluctuate a little, (i run a slightly modified delonghi EC685); issue i have now is that the espresso tastes great initially then it runs into a bitter-ish after taste, not what i recall from my first batch.

I started with the same recipe as the older batch, resulted in even more bitter after taste.... (oh also, i have this with milk in the morning, espresso in the afternoon... some how with milk it tastes more bitter)

Should coarsen grind size and push up the does? (Basket fits max 18g for these beans), basket struggles going lower than 16g...

Or retain does, coarsen grind, cut shot earlier?

Comment

Originally posted by 392392 View Post
                            I started with the same recipe as the older batch, resulted in even more bitter after taste.... (oh also, i have this with milk in the morning, espresso in the afternoon... some how with milk it tastes more bitter)

Should coarsen grind size and push up the does? (Basket fits max 18g for these beans), basket struggles going lower than 16g...

Or retain does, coarsen grind, cut shot earlier?
                            As was mentioned earlier in the thread, experiment to find what gives you the best result. Change one thing at a time (grind, dose, brew temp etc) until you find what suits you best. There can be differences between roast batches. Bitter taste might come from too fine a grind or too high a brew temp.

It's my first roast batch (home roast) of this bean and definitely seemed to suit me better when using a 15g basket. It seems to be too overpowering (strong) for me otherwise.

Changing from a different bean in the grinder yesterday, when I went back to this one the grind setting was just a tad too coarse allowing the brew to run through quicker than usual (about 20 secs for desired volume).

Interestingly, even though it was under, the one background flavor element I wasn't too keen on in this roast had disappeared. Still playing around with this but for me a smaller dose and as others have mentioned, a coarser grind seem to work well. Brew Temp around 93 to 94 deg suits me better too on this roast batch. Early days though.

Comment

Working...
                            X