Can a green blend be single origin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a green blend be single origin?

Interesting discussion out of another thread which I hadnt previously considered...

You buy greens produced from one farm of a co-op. and theyre marketed as single origin estate. Off the top of your head, would you consider that a blend of 2 or more varietals- say yellow bourbon and typica for example fits your definition or would you expect just one varietal?  :-?

Keen to hear your thoughts....

Chris

Re: Can a green blend be single origin?

Well... in the case where the coffee happens to be 100% yellow bourbon that is 100% from Fazenda Rio Verde I think the answer is pretty clear

Comment

Woah, thats an interesting conundrum.

My response would be biased from the wine world. Most of the French stuff is DOC protected and the rules state that for something to be Bordeaux (for example) that it must come from grapes of the varieties x,y,z grown with in the boundaries of I, J and K. The mix of x,y,z may vary from year to year but as long as it follows the rules it can be labelled a Bordeaux and depending on where abouts within I,J and K borders it would even be labelled a Grand Cru, Premier Cru, etc further narrowing down the origin and pedigree of the wine.

(Also thinking of things like Merlot/Carmenere from Chile where it was only recently discovered that Carmenere was a distinct genetic species from Merlot - they look very similar. Theyd be picked at the same time, but given very subtle ripening differences the wines from year to year would be different - still though single origin).

Now with all that said - as a background to my thinking - coffee like wine expresses its Terroir (place, soil etc) in beans. The same genetic line could be planted in two different soils, aspects and locations and give wildly different flavours. As the coffee is sold as coming from place/estate and is labelled as such, Id consider for myself personally that it matches the definition of origin.

Now if we see the day where coffee is sold based on its variety (and assuming there is significant differences in flavour between varieties like say Shiraz and Cabernet Sauvignon) it may be possible to see labelling as such. At present Id say were just like the French wine system - coffee is sold not per variety, but by where it came from. A super snob may know the varieties that are grown/in the given blend from origin X, but the average coffee snob would know origin, and youre ordinary punter would still think were all mad as hatters.

Comment

Thanks maille, its interesting to compare it to wine...

As an example, the Ipanema Rio Verde web page claims a blend of Mundo Novo and Red Catui- also marketed as single origin estate http://www.ipanemacoffees.com.br/index.php/en/products/our-coffee/estate-coffees/rio-verde

Comment

I consider an SO a single varietal.

However, its been mentioned before that you can roast an SO to different levels and then blend them.
          To me thats an SO blend.

Comment

Thats true Chris... Ipanema does indeed do a Rio Verde sourced blend of Mundo Novo and Red Catuai and their decision to label it a single origin coffee would definitely fit within the breadth of this debate.

However, they also supply 100% yellow bourbon also from Fazenda Rio Verde... very confusing I know but perhaps the following details from HABs current coffee offerings help clarify things for you:

Rio Verde High Natural 10/11 Crop - Just In - Fazenda Rio Verdes high altitude Mundo Novo and Red Catuai varietals are left unhusked for 45 days to promote an absolutely balanced & vibrant coffee - an IPANEMA™ coffee.

versus

Fazenda Rio Verde Bourbon PC - Prepared exclusively from 100% Fazenda Rio Verde Bourbon beans grown at an altitude above 1,100 metres - limited production coffee - fully washed with very refined acidity, thick caramel body with hints of Irish Cream in the cup - an IPANEMA™ coffee.

Now, I certainly thing that the latter definitely qualifies for Single Origin, Estate coffee... wouldnt you agree?

And I do thank you for your interest in my current coffee offerings. Your attention is very flattering indeed ;-)

Comment

Its the marketing strategy of the biggies- both co-ops and brokers which is of interest. Sounds like a good base bean?

Comment

It is a good base bean and I have had some success blending it with a few of its South and Central American cousins but I have found that it stands out brilliantly as an SO due to its thick bodied, caramel and chocolate overtones... makes a great long black.

Comment

A single origin blend is possible by using different profiles and roast depth of separately roasted batches

All of which will have a different flavour profile while sharing many common attributes

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 1A3E373734340E1A3E223C3E510 link=1293415530/8#8 date=1293421532
                    A single origin blend is possible by using different profiles and roast depth of separately roasted batches

All of which will have a different flavour profile while sharing many common attributes  

KK
                    Yep KK, thats a given and I think many here have done that. I was more interested on opinions about blends produced at the plantation/estate.

C

Comment

Originally posted by 0035383F0B173B32323131540 link=1293415530/9#9 date=1293429395
                      Yep KK, thats a given and I think many here have done that. I was more interested on opinions about blends produced at the plantation/estate.

C
                      I think yes it can be done

But if I wanted to be picky I would want

1] The cherry picking is completed in short span in time from the same general region

2] All beans processed together

The only problem this mixing presents is that unless records are kept as to the percentages

You could get a beautiful blend never to be repeated again

KK

Comment

Im happy to accept what may be a loose definition of the term, single origin as the region, and understand that crops from the east side of a hill will vary from those that come from the west.

As its not marketed as single varietal or paddock A, row B, etc. I think the answer is yes to your question Chris.

Statements like, "abundant caramel, chocolate, etc." hint at the potential, though the outcome is entirely in the hands of the person roasting, so this is of less interest to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 61404B4B4C56250 link=1293415530/11#11 date=1293434865
                          Statements like, "abundant caramel, chocolate, etc." hint at the potential, though the outcome is entirely in the hands of the person roasting, so this is of less interest to me.
                          Well... this is the cupping room so I didnt think my comments on the roasted coffees character were out of place... this, of course, being the roasted coffee Chris and I have been discussing over a couple of different posts

Comment

Originally posted by 487770776A7F6D6D7B1E0 link=1293415530/12#12 date=1293435416
                            being the roasted coffee Chris and I have been discussing over a couple of different posts  
                            I havent seen it nor roasted it as I rarely purchase HAB. There is usually too much really special stuff out there for large volume beans to be of personal interest. As mentioned earlier on, I was just curious to hear what others thought the term SO estate meant? So I am asking about greens.

Without even thinking about it, I had incorrectly assumed one varietal and probably picked and processed within a a fairly short time frame. Clearly that assumption is incorrect. It makes me wonder just how far the definition can be pushed?

A mix of varietals, from different crops or even years...still estate SO?

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 6A555255485D4F4F593C0 link=1293415530/12#12 date=1293435416
                              Well... this is the cupping room so I didnt think my comments on the roasted coffees character were out of place
                              I didnt think they were either. Just my own opinion on what is more relevant for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X