Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PNG Kone Ka

Have tried this today twice as long black and espresso, 3 days post roast

Ill be honest I have an awful palate so cant go into specifics, its still a touch young, but very sweet as a shot or long black, very clean and short finish but a rather bold flavour at the same time

All I could pick up was some citrus flavours (I can only ever pick up things like citrus, chocolate and such)

Roasted 350g on 1lb, P4, C setting in the behmor, got to the first snaps of SC in cooling

Will give it a couple more days and see how its going

Re: PNG Kone Ka

Im assuming this refers to the peaberry... totally agree with the sweetness it was lovely, a real suprise, and some earthier qualities too was expecting it would be a disaster as espresso but i would recommend it heartily

Comment

Re: Peru Ceja de Selva Estate

I just tried the PNG Kone Ka Estate from the last beanbay as a flat white it is very very nice with a lovely buttery mouth feel to it.. :P

The roast was to the first snap of S/C  CS/C9..5 days post roast..

Cheers Gra....

Comment

I REALLY enjoyed this SO, but always struggle trying to describe in terms of acidity, body and flavour. Also took my roast to the first snaps of second crack. CS9ish. I would be interested in knowing how an experienced cupper would describe this one. Any takers....

Comment

Roasted 500gr in corretto to CS10 left for seven days put through triple blind basket as an espresso you buety.Pour was heavy with thick crema and drank as a sweet chocalate with a hint of citrus.Pleasant after taste that lingered for quite a while.Very enjoyable and looking to drink the balance.

Comment

May I make a correction to my previous post on Kone Ka.I meant a triple basket in a naked porta filler. Also add to taste grass or leather in after . Thank you for your patience.

Comment

just did a batch of this one again tonight

not sure if its happened before or not or just noticing it now, but first crack was barely audible, less so than second which I thought was odd, slightly shorter roast time, same batch size and about the same roast level (CS10ish)

has anyone else noticed this is a quiet bean or is this perhaps a once off for me

Comment

Originally posted by 2F372D302C2B263D30365F0 link=1296649428/6#6 date=1331117909
                has anyone else noticed this is a quiet bean or is this perhaps a once off for me
                Yep, pretty quiet. I roasted a batch of it tonight in the Gene and I had to tell everyone to keep the noise down inside our house as it was hard to hear in the Gene. But once it got started it was obvious, but a rather quiet cracker  ;D

Comment

Made a really good aeropress today at work and thought Id share. I found this bean quite enjoyable to taste and describe. Roasted by Coffeesnobs.
                  I found it to be quite zesty with hints of lemon/lemongrass and a tiny bit of sour grape. It had a very nice acidity but I found it didnt last too long. It has a very subtle finish which isnt overbearing, which had slight notes of toffee, that also didnt last all that long.
                  Id love to try this from an espresso, but I dont have one yet?

Comment

Rightly so Cooba84, this has been one of my fav beans so far as an espresso. It found it quite well balanced as a single and good body and length. Will be on the lookout for more thats for sure.

Comment

The secret to this Kona Ka, is that its actually a fantastic base for a blend. I like it a lot when blended with a Costa Rican Las Pavas, both roasted around the CS9 - 10 mark.

Comment

@ausnadian - Ive actually got a fresh bag of Las Pavas which Im going to open up this week. I might even save some of the PNG beans I have left and try your blend.

I also thought Yirgecheffe would go well with the PNG as it has such a distinct flavour, the PNG would even it out.

Comment

Lovely bean

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Roast #63 PNG Kone Ka.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	732684

Just started drinking Roast #63 PNG Kone Ka

Did a slow roast to first crack (1C) at time 12:57 at temp 204.4C.
                            Backed off the heat and HG height to pull at the start of 2C at time 23:56 temp 229.1degC.

From 5 days till now (7 days) just brilliant in the cup.

18g shot (30ml pour) as a latte just beautiful flavours.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by sando View Post
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]90[/ATTACH]

Just started drinking Roast #63 PNG Kone Ka

Did a slow roast to first crack (1C) at time 12:57 at temp 204.4C.
                              Backed off the heat and HG height to pull at the start of 2C at time 23:56 temp 229.1degC.

From 5 days till now (7 days) just brilliant in the cup.

18g shot (30ml pour) as a latte just beautiful flavours.
                              Hi Sando
                              Welcome!
                              These PNG beans are great :-) Glad its good in the cup!

Just wondering about your profile? The 12 mins to first looks great - but the 10-11mins from 1c to 2c is pretty long, and with that 20+ deg drop looks like the roast has stalled pretty significantly. From all I've read the aim is to climb right through the roast with no drop in temp, while still slowing towards the end…
                              It looks like you have a good gun setting for the rise to 1c. But maybe reduce the amount of HG drop at 1c? I only drop gun temp 50deg just before 1c (@ 195deg on the DMM), then another 50deg end of rolling 1c (210 deg on the DMM) which gives a steady 3-4deg per minute rise from 1c to drop point in about 6mins later.

Just a few thought :-)
                              Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X