Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yemen Al-Hajj Boaan

Wow is an apt descriptor of this one.

I was instantly amazed by the fruity aroma of the bean even when green.
    I continued to be amazed by the aroma coming from the bag i roasted last week and now ive cracked it open and put it through my machine, im incredibly excited.

Im no cupping expert and often struggle to decipher flavours but through milk id describe this one as bright, almost wine-like acidity, yet with a huge amount of fruity sweetness.
    Very well balanced, despite a lot going on.

Thats probably a contradiction to experienced cuppers but its exactly what i tasted.

Next step is to try it as an espresso and as a pourover, and then ask myself why i didnt buy a second bag of it. :-[

Id be interested to hear what others think of it.

Re: Yemen Al-Hajj Boaan

Originally posted by 1616165C0 link=1300837644/0#0 date=1300837644
    why i didnt buy a second bag of it
    Because we wanted to make sure plenty of others could share the joy   Well, that and Andy mentioned this is "the first of 5 different regional Yemen beans" and the stash wouldnt cope with that much more excitement  :-/

Still waiting for my Sunday Roast of this and a 50/50 with the Java Ijen.

Comment

Originally posted by 3D2D2F3C2B374E0 link=1300837644/1#1 date=1300844587
      Well, that and Andy mentioned this is "the first of 5 different regional Yemen beans" and the stash wouldnt cope with that much more excitement  Undecided
      Ah, i forgot about that.
      Now im extra excited.

Ive only had two Yemeni beans now and theyre both easily in my top 5 in terms of beans ive personally roasted so if the the other four varietals are even half as good as this one and the Bani Ismail, were in for a treat.

Originally posted by 3D2D2F3C2B374E0 link=1300837644/1#1 date=1300844587
      Still waiting for my Sunday Roast of this and a 50/50 with the Java Ijen.
      Id be interested to know how it goes in a blend.
      Personally though, i dont think i could use such an amazing SO in a blend.

If you get great results from the blend i suppose i could combine the bag ends from this one and the Java Ijen i roasted on the same day so i can get a nice sample of how it works in a blend, especially in a traditional Mocha Java blend.

Comment

Originally posted by 030303490 link=1300837644/2#2 date=1300846805
        Id be interested to know how it goes in a blend.
        Personally though, i dont think i could use such an amazing SO in a blend.
        Im going to roast some this weekend too But dont think it is a waste of a stunning Yemeni to blend - I replaced the Ethiopians in my (KJM) blend with some Baini Ismaeli and it is absolutely lovely (IMHO!) I dropped a bag off to Fiefy today - and am waiting for a real experts view on how it is.

But - using it in a blend can stretch it out too! Which cant be a bad thing!

/Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by 7071763B0 link=1300837644/3#3 date=1301038224
          But dont think it is a waste of a stunning Yemeni to blend
          Id probably agree if i had a couple of bags of the Yemeni beans but sadly i only got one of each.

On the other hand, im loaded with delightful Ethiopian beans (i got a couple bags of the superb Harrar and also the Ghimbi), so ill use those two with the two Javanese beans and see what works.

Comment

Originally posted by 5F5F5F150 link=1300837644/4#4 date=1301107551
            (i got a couple bags of the superb Harrar and also the Ghimbi)
            Ahhhh!! Ghimbi!! Niiice! My favorite Ethiopian!

The Al-Hajj Boaan really smells as a green, I have to say. I hope to get to it tomorrow!

/Kevin

Comment

All I can say about this Fantastic bean is.... Wow!

Absolutely magic in the cup and a real toss-up between this beauty and the Bani Ismail as to which is now my preference. Just sipping on a wonderful espresso as I write this and I have to say, I think it pips the Bani Ismail because of some extra complexity with the spice-mix dancing on my tongue.

Has some similarities with the Ismaili but definitely more fruit, more soft spiciness and about the longest dark chocolate finish Ive ever experienced.

An absolute beauty.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by 6845414D402C0 link=1300837644/6#6 date=1302254191
                longest dark chocolate finish
                great description Mal, ive spent all week having a drink of this bean wondering what that finish is, sometimes i am a real dinlo when it comes to figuring out the flavours.

like the gambella sundried i felt this one evolved as time went on, and enjoyed the last of the bag the most.

Comment

Originally posted by 0C252016042C2C3B3A490 link=1300837644/7#7 date=1302259462
                  like the gambella sundried i felt this one evolved as time went on, and enjoyed the last of the bag the most.
                  Seems to be a pretty common denominator of beans from these regions denki.

Im going to roast two lots tomorrow and leave one of the bags for between 10-14 days before opening. Should be very interesting (and delicious).... 8-)

Mal.

Comment

Just roasted some on Monday night! Now Im pacing up and down the coffee machine waiting for a few more days so I can crack it open

Had a cheeky sniff sniff this morning. The fruitiness is extremely prominant.

Hopefully I will be able to get some of that long dark chocolate finish

Comment

YOU DONT HAVE TO WAIT!

I had my first ristretto before the beans had even cooled. Fantastic, if a bit bubbly.

Greg

Comment

Im really struggling to not roast some of these beans on each roast day.

Must make the bag last.

Comment

Originally posted by 24090D010C600 link=1300837644/8#8 date=1302274997
                          Im going to roast two lots tomorrow and leave one of the bags for between 10-14 days before opening. Should be very interesting (and delicious).... 
                          This bean just keeps on getting better and better.... Im up to day 16 post roast still going strong - had my best one yet today. My first experience with Yemeni coffee very dark bold flavours, leaves you wanting more. Reminds be a bit of a SO version of Wow. although I havent had Wow in a long time.

Mine comes from Talk Coffee. For us non-roaster coffeesnobs, Chris gives us an opportunity to try various special SOs which would otherwise only be available as Green through beanbay. In the last 2 months I have had the privilege of trying Yirg special prep, Ghimbi, and this Yemeni. I know Andy (and other sponsors) all have various SO coffees on offer - but I always keep a sneaky eye on the Talk Coffee page to see what special SOs Chris has on offer. Thanks Chris . The only problem is unlike green you cant stash!! Maybe I should just start roasting. ;D

Comment

I have been a bit slack in not reporting back how this stuff worked out.

"Wow".

That says it all. Along with the Mocha Ismaili this is the top of the pile. Today, because I have an extremely sore throat and coffee is good for that, I was forced to make a 50/50 blend of these two Yemenis. I recommend that to anyone!

/Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by 1110175A0 link=1300837644/13#13 date=1314258434
                              I was forced to make a 50/50 blend of these two Yemenis
                              Forced to blend 2 Yemeni beans?
                              Lifes tough!
                              ;D

Originally posted by 383F34343F2E2E5A0 link=1300837644/12#12 date=1313882732
                              This bean just keeps on getting better and better
                              Yep, amazing coffee. The hardest thing for me is keeping enough Yemen coffee roasted for it to age. My wife is a like a drug dog and can sniff-out my stash in a minute.

Maybe I need a safe?

Comment

Working...
                              X