Flores Research Project - May 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flores Research Project - May 2011

Here is some background information on the Flores Research Project coffee as supplied by Tony Marsh who has been working on the ground there for a long time.

Project Title:

Enhancing Farmer Engagement with Specialty Coffee chains in Eastern Indonesia.

Project Objectives: The project will identify practical solutions to the challenges currently faced by the industry through action-learning research methodologies. The overarching aim of the project is to improve the livelihoods of smallholder coffee farmers in eastern Indonesia by enhancing farmer engagement with speciality coffee chains. This will be achieved through two separate objectives:
    1. Improve the effectiveness of smallholder coffee institutions.
    2. Enhance the quality, consistency, and market reputation of specialty coffees.
    As a result of this project, models for effective producer-exporter relationships will be established, leading to efficiency gains and improved knowledge transfer mechanisms. The socio-economic baseline study will provide a solid platform for subsequent intervention by development agencies, government and the private sector. The quality assessment study will sensitise regional actors to international quality demands while contributing to the improved marketability of the specialty coffees of eastern Indonesia.

Activity: Semi -Commercial Production of Pulped Natural Coffee in Flores
    1) Background: Due to the interest of Pulped Natural in the 2009 processing trial (See Paper), a larger scale production is in order.

2) Objective:
    a) Produce a commercial volume of Pulped Natural coffee for evaluation in the Specialty Coffee Market.

3) Overview and general description of Assessment Trial:
    a) Plan to do 17 bags, 1000 ton coffee. Grade 1. Need to process 7500kg cherry.
    b) Over a period of 15 days x 500kgs of cherry = 7500

4) Methodology
    a) Buying plan
    i) Quality standards.
    • Good quality Fresh cherry. 95% ripe.
    • Mixed Varieties - OK.
    • Various locations in Bajawa, Flores

b) Processing.
    i) Pulp fresh cherry.
    • No washing, straight to drying table.
    • Dry as thin layer (6– 8kg per sqm) for 4 days, or until mucilage is dry.
    • Rake regularly.
    • Then combine 2 drying trays to 1 tray.
    • Dry to 12%

c) Data keeping.
    i) Give each process day a batch number. Batch No = 26July or 26/7
    ii) Keep all coffee from each process day separate. There will be approx 15 batches.
    iii) In the store, Note number of bags in the Batch. ie Batch No 26July 1/5 = bag 1 of 5 bags of parchment.
    iv) Each batch will be cup tested before hulling and blending.
    v) Coffee will be shipped to Surabaya in parchment form.
    vi) Record when each batch was processed and when it was send to the store.
    vii) Make a note of any issue about any batch so we can confirm in cup test.
    • For instance. Coffee rained on, cloudy weather.
    d) Storage.
    i) Keep each batch separate each day.
    ii) Keep coffee very dry wrapped in Tarpaulin.
    iii) Keep bags well labelled. Double label. One inside bag and one out side bag.
    e) Shipment
    i) Transported to Surabaya by Indocom.
    f) Sampling and evaluation
    i) When parchment reaches Surabaya as parchment take good representative parchment sample from each batch.
    ii) Send samples to Puslit for evaluation.
    iii) Puslit will confirm if any batched should be excluded

g) Processing
    i) Approved batches will be mixed and hulled by Indocom as normal coffee.
    ii) Coffee Sorted to Grade 1 speciality coffee and bagged
    iii) Labelling will depend on where the coffee is to be shipped and who buys it.

5) Assessment of Buyer Roaster / Consumer opinions.
    i) We will trace coffee and gather comments from buyers, roasters and consumers.

Below are some great pictures and also the PDF document "The Influence of Primary Processing Methods on the Cup
    Taste of Arabica Coffee from the Indonesian Island of Flores"

Re: Flores Research Project - May 2011

The feedback needed from the CSrs that buy and roast this coffee is:

1: Comments on coffee. Appearance, how it roasts, any issues, any good points.

2: Compare this with other coffees.... it is like a..... and why?

3. Overall rating of coffee including any description such as.... acidity. body, flavour characteristics.

Tony will write up a "case study" on this coffee, reporting comments from each point in the chain with final recomendations.

The more comments the better!!

Comment

I am relatively new to this, in fact this is my first post on the forum! Quite excited to get hold of some of the Flores Research Project beans and hopefully make some sort of useful contribution from my limited knowledge, which I must say has improved in leaps and bounds having benefited from the shared wisdom of CSers

Last night I roasted a couple of batches of the Flores in the popper. The colour of the green beans was very uneven, some very green through to a honey colour and everything in between, like a mixture of the two drying tables shown in the second and third picture above. This came through in the roast, I am getting very consistent roasts with other beans in the popper so I can be fairly certain that the mildly uneven roast is due to the initial colour variation in the green beans.

Having said that I found this bean very easy and clean to roast, the chaff seemed to all come at once in a big cloud and was pretty much gone within a couple of minutes! Little to no chaff left hanging onto the bean itself. Both batches into a long first crack at 6:20 going through a beautiful caramel colour I havent seen in any other bean Ive roasted. First batch dumped at 23:10 just into second crack, finishing at CS9; second batch dumped at 22:30 at the first snaps of second crack finishing at CS8.

There was a very intriguing smell to the roasting smoke and the fresh roasted beans which I couldnt quite put my finger on, for some reason I kept thinking of a Time Out bar (!) looking forward to a sniff and possibly a shot tonight to see whats happening 24 hrs post-roast

So more to come!

Comment

Originally posted by 7659534E370 link=1305212353/1#1 date=1305212596
        1: Comments on coffee.  Appearance, how it roasts, any issues, any good points.
        On first view the beans vary greatly in appearance, from the usual green right through to a lightly tanned brown, with a number of others having very dark patches.
        The beans were on the larger side and were generally quite uniform in size.

In terms of the roasting itself, i found it a very easy bean to roast without any real surprises.
        The sound of the first crack was as pronounced as ive heard from any bean ive roasted, a real loud, almost exaggerated snapping that continued for a good two minutes or so.

I dumped the beans at the very first signs of 2C and managed a very even, beautiful looking CS9 roast.
        I got quite a deal of chaff off the beans, ending with a loss ratio of 17.33% (my usual is about 16.5% or so).

Overall im very happy with the way the beans roasted and im looking forward to putting them through my grinder after theyve rested for a few days.

Comment

Originally posted by 282828620 link=1305212353/3#3 date=1306114178
          On first view the beans vary greatly in appearance,

The beans were on the larger side and were generally quite uniform in size.

i found it a very easy bean to roast .

Overall im very happy with the way the beans roasted
          I roasted two lots on the weekend:
          480g in the KKTO finishing  a few seconds after the start of 2C at CS9 with 415 g (13.5% loss)
          220g in the Coffee-tech Baby resulting in a CS8 roast which I will use for filter and syphon brews.

I agree with Ristroms comments except on the uniformity of size. I dont think they were that well graded compared to other Indos but there was a large amount of discolouration. Insect damage seemed fairly low.

Both roasts were quite even. I took some photos which I will post with my tasting observations later this week or next week.

The only other point was the very pleasant sweet smell during the roast and a chew on a freshly roasted bean also gave a hint of a very nice bean to look forward to.

Comment

I used the Flores to break in my new Behmor last night. The first batch I did was a tad dark (CS10) and reached 2nd crack just after the cooling cycle. The second batch looked spot on at CS8 (in comparison with beans I buy from a Coffee Roaster in Frenchs Forest).

For a 250g batch (I used 1/2lb, P2 with a few +), the difference between CS10 and CS8 was 30 seconds in roast time. I ended up with 207g of beans in the end (17.2% less; there were a couple of green beans that fell through amongst the chaff).

Im yet to taste it, but they smell great. Ive given samples of the CS8 and 10 to a couple of work mates. Ill provide my feedback as well as theirs in the next week.

Comment

Turns out you cant modify old posts on this forum... unless I havent yet worked it out.

Heres a picture of the roast in the meantime.

Green, CS8, CS10 - although you cant really see it in the photo

Comment

Re: Flores Research Project - First impressions

Originally posted by 69637661616E7A7C0F0 link=1305212353/4#4 date=1306115285
                I roasted two lots on the weekend:
                480g in the KKTO finishing  a few seconds after the start of 2C at CS9 with 415 g (13.5% loss)
                220g in the Coffee-tech Baby resulting in a CS8 roast which I will use for filter and syphon brews.
                OK, I was going to wait 4 days for the Baby roast to develop but I couldnt

Took 30g of it to work and prepared a filter coffee in the Clever Coffee Dripper.

First taste: sweet, no distinguishing flavours, no earthiness typical of many Indos

Several sips later: Nice but still a bit flat. there is some hint of a flavour I cant describe but its some sort of berry. As I sit here typing this post, the flavour is gradually coming forward and suggesting strawberry.  The sweetness is till the most noticeable characteristic.

Getting towards the last 1/3 of the cup and noticing another flavour trying to struggle through but its refusing to identify itself. The strawberry is much more defined now and the sweetness has dropped off.

I think Im still a day or two shy of seeing this roast at its best but first impressions are quite positive of a lighter roast in a filter brew method.

Update 1: 15 minutes later and the lingering after-taste is definitely strawberry.

Update 2: OK, the strawberry has me confused. I did a small roast of Ethiopia Sidamo Guji on the weekend to see how it would go as a Mocca Java blend with the Flores. Im wondering now if I grabbed the wrong bag this bleary-eyed-and-not-yet-caffeinated morning.  I suspect so  :-[.

Update 3 (and Ill finish soon, I promise)
                I didnt get the bags mixed up. Both the Flores and Sidamo were newly opened and when I weighed them, it corresponded to the amounts I took out to roast. To double check, I had a chew on one of the beans from the first Flores roast (in the KKTO) and I could taste...strawberry! I wonder if that gives a hint about the provenance of the Flores trees.
                I think I can guess what my Sidamo-Flores Mocca Java blend will taste like.

Comment

I have not bought these beans yet, but after keeping an eye on this thread it sounds like an interesting little caper, may just have to join in.

Comment

Not having the skillful palate of other members I cant share much beyond personal preference, although I pretty much agree with flynn_aus on first impressions (sweet, no standout flavours).

As an espresso the CS8 batch was rather light bodied, gained a little more at CS9 so I have since roasted another batch to CS10 to see what happens.

4-5 days post roast Im starting to really enjoy the Flores, it came through in milk better than expected, reasonably sweet although still rather light.

Ive found that I"m having to grind this bean finer than anything else Ive had so far.

Thinking of blending with some PNG Kone Ka in the next few days, but unsure whether to blend before or after roasting? Any wiser heads with some advice? If this is too far off-topic I can head off to the roasting section...

Comment

I tried some of this tonight. Im not too sure how to describe coffee. I roasted it on Sunday night, so its been 3 days and the one I used tonight looked like CS10. There were small specs of oil on the bean.

I dont usually drink espressos, but the espresso shot itself was somewhat sour. The aftertaste was strong and pleasant.

I also had one with milk. No complaints; it was on the sweet side and had a nice solid flavour to it.

Im only new to roasting and will keep my eyes on out the thread to see how people describe the taste of coffee. Ill try the CS8 batch in the next few days and report back.

Comment

Originally posted by 4241545258505D41505F4542310 link=1305212353/10#10 date=1306326010
                        Im not too sure how to describe coffee.

Reply #10 - Today at 22:20 Mark & Quote Quote
                        I tried some of this tonight. Im not too sure how to describe coffee. I roasted it on Sunday night, so its been 3 days and the one I used tonight looked like CS10. There were small specs of oil on the bean.

I dont usually drink espressos....
                        You only need to describe what you taste and you did that. There are no rules you have to follow.

Try roasting this a little lighter next time if you want to drink as espresso. Milk-based drinks tend to work better with a darker roast, depending on the bean but darker roasts will also eliminate some of the flavour characteristics of the bean.

Comment

Had my first try this morning, 4 days post roast, through milk.

Initial thoughts are a pronounced if indiscernible sweetness, low acidity, mid-bodied and generally a well balanced, subtle cup.

My palate is rather rudimentary so its entirely possible, nay likely, that more refined palates will detect more individual flavours.

Looking forward to seeing if i can taste some individual flavours as the coffee ages.

Comment

Tried again today (Day 5). Again, a CCD brew.
                            Pretty much as Ristrom describes: sweet, no acidity and balanced. No length of flavour

No sign of the strawberry I tasted on Day 3 and the brew I tried yesterday had a subtle toffee flavour which I can still detect today but less so.

Next report will be on the KKTO roast
                            with milk,
                            as an espresso,
                            and blended with the Ethiopian Sidamo Guji

OK - update (sorry). I said no length but it seemed to come back after a few minutes and I can still taste toffee sweetness almost an hour later.

Comment

Have just finished a roast of this with the behmor, hell of a lot of chaff from it and almost had a roasting fire

was lucky to see a glow to pulled the chaff tray to see a few bits of glowing chaff in it, into the sink the tray went quick smart

during roasting they smelt more smokey than any other bean ive roasted before, has anyone else noticed this at all or is this just a freak one off for me here?

on a plus after that little incident the beans roasted up very consistently, but will post more when I try them later on

On further investigation at the back of the behmor I found a well and truly starbucked bean, to the point of almost ash, so it seems a bean got caught in the wrong spot and may have got a lil warm

really consistent looking CS10 roast

Comment

Working...
                              X