Yirgacheffe Special Prep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yirgacheffe Special Prep

I have done a roast of the yirgacheffe special prep currently in beanbay. i roasted it exactly the same as this one (well tried to might be more accurate) but pulled it 3 degrees lower.

i tried this as the previous roast was missing a lot of the floral qualities this bean seems prized for.

anyway…. this one brought them out in a big way! 2 things sprang to mind, citrus and jasmine, very sweet, and a rounded feel in the mouth.

i am having it through an aeropress using the inverted method with the 008 coava and the flavours are amazing. also as andy mentions, the grind aroma is huge, it smells like i have lit some incense.

i have tried a couple using different temperature water, it seemed great with both 90 degree water and 80 degree water, the hotter water didnt seem to mask the bouquet much.

I love this coffee every cup is amazing. 10 days seems to be the perfect number for this one!

Comment

I would have to agree,

This has become a favourite.

I over roasted my first roast and ended up with crap.

2nd roast done to a cs9, and after 8 days. excellent coffee.

Comment

Just done a SO roast of this today after a few months of pre-blends - looking forward to seeing how it goes!

Comment

I just blended some of this with the Sulawesi Blue Peaberry that's in Beanbay - delicious combination! You get the body of the Sulawesi with the brightness of the Yirg! Really interesting and yum!

Comment

Hi Tango,

What ratio did you use?

just ordered some peaberry, and already have the yirg.

Cheers

Comment

Hey themurphs - sorry about the late reply! I did 50/50 (as most of my blending has been recently!). Try roasting them both individually and then mixing after you taste each one individually, both of them by themselves are great coffees.

Comment

Thanks,

Both beans are roasted already, so i might give it a try tomorrow.

The peaberry is excellent!

Cheers

Comment

Oh my giddy Aunt! Just had a double espresso with beans roasted 11 days ago and my oh my, what a sensational coffee. I can still taste the brightness 10 minutes after finishing the coffee, a lovely body too.

Roasted 350g in the Behmor, P2B + 2:30 (22:30), 1C @ 9:05 remaining on the clock, pulled just on 2C with 5:15 left.

Comment

Great coffee for a pour over. One of the best.

Comment

Roasted some Yirg ten days ago... now tasting jasmine tea!

Comment

Gotta love a good Yirg!
                        Just drinking an amazing batch (technically it is a blend - so slightly naughty putting it here!) of slow roasted 60/40 Yirg & El Sal (or any available central - I've used Mex, El Sal & Guat with equally good results) Other Eth's work too in this particular blend, but it is the Yirg that just makes it all come alive! Very floral, sweet & aromatic.
                        Yirgy Yirgy Yirgy!

Matt

Click image for larger version

Name:	20130918-TheBandit-16degAmb-700g-Slow2C-earlydrop.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	734869

Comment

Roasted some again last night... think I took the roast a little too far (dropped at 222*C). It's lovely and sweet, but lacks some of the more high notes that I remember from the last batch.

Comment

Originally posted by DesigningByCoffee View Post
                            Gotta love a good Yirg!
                            Just drinking an amazing batch (technically it is a blend - so slightly naughty putting it here!) of slow roasted 60/40 Yirg & El Sal (or any available central - I've used Mex, El Sal & Guat with equally good results) Other Eth's work too in this particular blend, but it is the Yirg that just makes it all come alive! Very floral, sweet & aromatic.
                            Yirgy Yirgy Yirgy!

Matt

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4386[/ATTACH]
                            Yeh, I've taken to using 70% Central (Guat Hue or Jac) / 30% Yirg as an Aeropress blend.....and the Yirg suits this more than other Africans I've tried.

Comment

Haven't roasted the Yirg Special Prep for quite a while and I had forgotten just how tasty they are, took the roast 45sec. past the start of first crack, rested them for 6-7 days then started brewing, I had forgotten how wonderful these beans are, clean, crisp zingy acidity and floral notes. Started doing long blacks after day 10 with a brew temp of 92C, wow, lovely bright acidity with viscous creamy mouthfeel, sweet with a lingering finish.

Comment

Working...
                              X