Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep - it's no wonder they're a CS fav

Comment

We tried a batch just roasted 2 days ago last night, agree the citrus notes pop, however there's sweetness underneath too so not too zingy. We drank Americano, and compared to the Aceh Danau, Aceh came out much richer more spice and body, however same grind settings i got double the extraction with the Aceh, it was a lot stronger so not comparing apples to apples. Anyway, might try a pour over with the Yirg, reckon it will be even sweeter that way, might be nice as a minor component of a blend with the Aceh too. fun fun.

Comment

Pour over was better than Americano, definite citrus notes. I guess with this one it's taming the citrus/brightness to an enjoyable level, and developing the roast long enough that it's got enough sweetness and balance to work well. Mixed in my morning 19g double, 5g Yirg, 10g Aceh, 4g PNG Wahgi, was reasonably balanced, could probably have reduced the yirg to only 2-3 grams and still had some citrus notes, not sure i'm a huge fan of citrus in a milk based espresso drink. Must say thumbs up to Andy on the beanbay beans, all 4 i've purchased are great, still dialing in roasts, might drop temp (try for a slightly better ROR after first crack than below though, it's probably a bit flat/stalled) and increase fan on the yirg slightly earlier next roast and let the development extend further and see how it goes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170807-120gYirgSpecPrep.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	745902
        Last edited by Janus; 11th August 2017, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Purchased a new bag of Yirgacheffe special prep a week or so ago, first roast on Tuesday, and then tried in a pour over last night. Very nice, citrus and what i think of as sweet acidity is back, and wonderful only 1 day in (my mouth is watering thinking about the flavour)! 220g batch, roast time 11 min, loaded 150c, turn around 70c at 40 seconds, took the beans about 10c past FC with a 2 minute development. The BT ROR does drop pretty sharply following FC and can then take off again, so i've found it important to ease off the heat around 30-45 seconds after start of FC to keep it steady and allow enough headroom for a longer development if wanted. Not really sure if what i'm doing is right, i'm happy with what was in the cup though.

I've been beating myself up about this bean for months, this is the third bag i've purchased, the first bag i had a lot of good roasts with plenty of flavour. The second bag i don't think i had 1 roast i was happy with, and the citrus notes were nowhere to be seen, if i had to try to describe it probably just a sort of muddled/fermented blueberry note (that said the roasts were drinkable, and i think i nailed a few where they were quite good at darker roasts even though i wasn't getting the flavour characteristics I look for in this bean).

This may very well have been due to poor roasting, however it's interesting that the first roast of the new bag was so much more to my liking than any roasts from the previous bag. The beans even appear different (though that could be an aging thing i guess?)

Andy you must be roasting these a lot, do you see flavour big variances in the different import lots?
          I'd be happy to hear that it hasn't been my poor attempts at roasting and i've just had a batch with different flavour characteristics than i'm looking for

Anyway these are an amazing bean, i haven't found another where they give such a clean recognisable taste, and looking around at other online suppliers and the prices another big thumbs up to Andy for offering extremely reasonable pricing.
          Last edited by Janus; 9th August 2018, 04:15 PM.

Comment

G'day Janus...

This batch sounds enticing mate.
            One thing I noticed with the Yirg' Special Prep, is that the so-called sweet-spot window for the ideal roast point is very narrow. I'd take particular note of this profile if the results in the cup are what you were striving for, as a little change in the profile either under or over how this one went, may make results in the cup quite disappointing.

I was gifted a bag of this Yirg' a while ago and it took me three attempts before I considered that the final batch had been nailed exactly where I wanted it. For my palate, it is definitely NOT a bean that should be taken too close to 2nd-Crack as this just seems to kill off nearly all of the intrinsic flavours that this bean possesses. Best roast I have ever experienced for this bean though, was one roasted by Chris Natoli of Talk Coffee - It was just plain beautiful...

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Janus View Post
              Purchased a new bag of Yirgacheffe special prep a week or so ago, first roast on Tuesday, and then tried in a pour over last night. Very nice, citrus and what i think of as sweet acidity is back, and wonderful only 1 day in (my mouth is watering thinking about the flavour)! 220g batch, roast time 11 min, loaded 150c, turn around 70c at 40 seconds, took the beans about 10c past FC with a 2 minute development. The BT ROR does drop pretty sharply following FC and can then take off again, so i've found it important to ease off the heat around 30-45 seconds after start of FC to keep it steady and allow enough headroom for a longer development if wanted. Not really sure if what i'm doing is right, i'm happy with what was in the cup though.

I've been beating myself up about this bean for months, this is the third bag i've purchased, the first bag i had a lot of good roasts with plenty of flavour. The second bag i don't think i had 1 roast i was happy with, and the citrus notes were nowhere to be seen, if i had to try to describe it probably just a sort of muddled/fermented blueberry note (that said the roasts were drinkable, and i think i nailed a few where they were quite good at darker roasts even though i wasn't getting the flavour characteristics I look for in this bean).

This may very well have been due to poor roasting, however it's interesting that the first roast of the new bag was so much more to my liking than any roasts from the previous bag. The beans even appear different (though that could be an aging thing i guess?)

Andy you must be roasting these a lot, do you see flavour big variances in the different import lots?
              I'd be happy to hear that it hasn't been my poor attempts at roasting and i've just had a batch with different flavour characteristics than i'm looking for

Anyway these are an amazing bean, i haven't found another where they give such a clean recognisable taste, and looking around at other online suppliers and the prices another big thumbs up to Andy for offering extremely reasonable pricing.
              I can’t speak for Andy but I certainly notice differences in bags and batches. Just finished current my Yirg stash (from another supplier) and never really got any of the citrus spice goodness I’d expect from Yirg. So looking forward to getting my next order from Andy today!

Comment

I agree with the above comments.
                The Yirg can be tricky to roast and has a small window where it really pops. It can also get away from you towards the end of the roast as it tends to accelerate faster than most beans.

In the Behmor roasters, the free bag of coffee is normally India Elephant Hills, Peru Ceja or the Colombian Volcan. All these beans are easy to roast and can be excellent at different roast depths. They are perfect learning beans and far more forgiving. The Yirg tends to be very good in a range but excellent in a narrow area. The other bean that comes to mind like this is the Harrar which explodes in the cup if you nail it.

Don't let it put you off the Yirg though, take it as a challenge that means you need to keep really good notes and only make small changes to your process each time so you can find that sweet spot again.

Comment

As someone who has just started roasting and not probably taking it to the lengths of using software and temp probes.

I had the Indian beans and they were good. My partner and then went through 5kg of yirg and we loved it.

Just went through 5kg of Colombian volcan galeris and struggled to get that bean to a real nice cup. Couple of roasts were great but a few were milk drinks.

I tend to roast more in the light range so perhaps it didn’t get away.

My notes say 414gram if yirg p3.
                  Wait for rolling first crack then drop power to 50% and double drum speed and go for a minute then press cool.

That to me for the yirg was good. Some better than others.

In saying that someone will offer far more experience but what I’m saying is don’t be afraid by this bean

Comment

Where did you purchase your last Yirg?

Comment

Originally posted by lenayres View Post
                      Andy :-)

And I’ve just purchased another 7.5kg from him to

Comment

I find the Yirgacheffe reminds of tea when I get the roast nice. It’s definitely one of the most floral coffees, if I had to describe the distinctive yirg taste I would say tea. I really like it it in long black and cold brew. The current batch is probably the best looking yirg greens I’ve seen.
                        For my tastes, i like a city+ roast, through FC and stopped on the verge of 2nd crack.

Comment

Do you or others in this group source and sell green coffee beans? If so, how would I be able to participate?

Comment

Do you or others in this group source and sell green coffee beans? If so, how would I be able to participate?
                            Everyone can participate in purchasing green beans from BeanBay, click the link at top of page. It’s probably the best value coffee in Australia and only mildly addictive.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryjoda View Post
                              Everyone can participate in purchasing green beans from BeanBay, click the link at top of page. It’s probably the best value coffee in Australia and only mildly addictive.
                              Ryjoda....sorry for the delayed response. The interface of using Tapatalk for monitoring postings is not very fluid for me. I live the USA, so I buy my green beans usually from sellers here. I frequently buy through Green Coffee Buying Club. A couple of people buy lots and divide into 5, 10, or 15 pounds for sale. They provide cupping info and advice on roasting, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryjoda View Post
                                I find the Yirgacheffe reminds of tea when I get the roast nice
                                I 100% agree with Ryjoda here.
                                I have just started drinking my first Yirgacheffe Special Prep roast. Roasted in the Corretto and pulled at 215 degrees.
                                I am blown away by how tasty this is as filter brew. Definitely a 'tea like' taste and smell, and I am also getting sweet apple and cherry flavours with an orange citrus finish.
                                I am enjoying it so much I am choosing it over my usual home espresso.

Comment

• greenman
                                  greenman commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Tried a bag of the latest Yirg Special prep, have been roasting for pourover and syphon brews so just into a vigorous first crack and then into the cooler. Has been providing a tasty brew, very silky mouthfeel and ripe fruit notes, a marked difference to previous seasons which were full of floral notes. Got to love a good Yirg!!!
                              Working...
                              X