Sulawesi Blue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sulawesi Blue

Anybody else had a go at roasting this one? I did 330g on a Behmor yesterday. I pulled them at the first few snaps of second crack and got a fairly uneven looking roast and what I think is called a mottled appearance. From reading other threads, I think this is pretty standard for wet processed Indonesians??

Will try it later today - hope it tastes good because it sure is an ugly looking roast!

Re: Sulawesi Blue

Picture of the roast.

Comment

I guess the proof will be in the cup Tango....

Let us know your impressions,

Mal.

Comment

got some in the i-coffee roaster as i type, fresh from the beanbay pickup...
        looking forward to this one

Comment

Originally posted by 515E415250565B5B5859370 link=1317523035/3#3 date=1317537828
          got some in the i-coffee roaster as i type, fresh from the beanbay pickup...
          looking forward to this one 
          Would love to hear/see how your roast turns out fivegallon!!

Comment

Quick and dirty pics. Gave the beans the crunch test and they taste great. Might bang some straight into the grinder me thinks 

Comment

In the cup - not bad considering its fresh out the roaster. Fairly sharp right now but the taste is good. Will be interesting to see how much this mellows out over the next few weeks (if it survives that long!)

Comment

Yum!  Just pulled a double shot with an 18g Synesso basket and it was delicious.  Definitely had a spicy aroma about it and Im no expert, but it was exceptionally smooth with no bitterness.  I put another double through milk and it cut through nicely and had a good cocoa aftertaste.

Wish I was able to describe it better but Im just happy that it tasted so good after what I thought was a dodgy looking roast! Looking forward to letting this one develop a bit over the next week or two!

Comment

Excellent.... 8-)

Cant always go by appearances

Mal.

Comment

I roasted 400 grams of this and 400 of the India Shimla Honey. While I’ve got nothing nice to say about the India… I loved this Indo, nice floral notes and what I can only describe as ‘beany’… Smooth and no bittern or sourness.

Comment

Yeah - i get the same results in the behmor (ugly bean). I stopped and it reached 2C about 1 minute into the cooling cycle.

I did 50/50 with Indian Honey and think its pretty good. Indian Honey by itself is a bit strange (offtopic - i hate the indian honey - so much chaff is retained in the drum!)

Comment

Hey all,

Did another roast of these again the other day on the Behmor on the P2 profile with a similar looking result to above.

Drank some today through the aeropress at 3 days post roast, with a bit of hot water added and milk. Produced a really spicy cocoa flavour, with no acidity/sourness/bitterness. Its what I think most people would expect from a cup of coffee.

Highly recommend getting some of this bean as even though its ugly when roasted, its a really nice single origin.

Comment

Originally posted by 5A6F6069610E0 link=1317523035/7#7 date=1317546599
                          Wish I was able to describe it better but Im just happy that it tasted so good after what I thought was a dodgy looking roast!  Looking forward to letting this one develop a bit over the next week or two!
                          Not that Im an expert roaster, but Ive been doing a lot of reading lately and have read in a few places that a good roast does not necessarily look even. This seemed counter-intuitive to me, but your result seems to support the idea. As usual, its all in the cup hey?

Comment

I have roasted 2 lb of this now on the Behmore, first roast I cooled soon after end of rolling first crack and the second after 2nd crack - the first roast was good but the second after levying for 5 days was/is great: smooth, creamy and just a hint of citrus and chocolate. I drink ristretto (dopio) so not a great deal of liquid and the beans have no place to hide their character. This is an excellent coffee!

Comment

I roasted 300gm of this the other night in my coretto. Muffed the Heat settings a bit so pulled it at about cs7-8 (didnt want it going too long) and also got a very mottled look, although smells great. Ill wait a few days more before trying it; just wondering, has anyone else had trouble hearing 1st crack with this one? Ive had no drama with the other 5 bean types Ive roasted, but this one was very much harder to pick...

Comment

Working...
                              X