Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Elephant Hills

Has anyone else tried this bean?

I got 500g in my CS starter pack. Initially roasted 100g in modified popper - really smooth.
    Then 300g in my version of the Corretto - around CS8. The best home roast Ive tasted (in my limted experience.) On day eight I got a really smooth straight espresso, fantastic body, sweet caramel and chocolate. Not a lot of acid but still enough oomph to lift my morning latte to new heights.

Definitely worth a try if you havent already.  [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Re: Indian Elephant Hills

I really liked this bean.... Definitely interesting enough as a SO. I was still a bit wary of Indian beans after Shimla honey, which I hate.... but this one has swayed me!!

Comment

Originally posted by 38303D202739302C550 link=1325814208/0#0 date=1325814208
      Definitely worth a try if you havent already
      Thanks, have a untouched bag in my stash and am due to roast. I will give them a try.

Steve

Comment

As an espresso it works very well. I cant imagine it would shine through milk though I hardly make milk mix drinks at home (unless they contain vanilla ice cream and bananas ;D ).

I like the Elephant Hills best with some brighter beans, say add 25% Huehuetenango. But yes, by itself the Elephant Hills is definitely a very nice bean too.

Phil

Comment

I like this bean at about CS9-10, but as a SO espresso it was nice and sweet but a little lacking in oomph for my tastes. Goes better blended with the Peru CdS 1:2, and probably most other central/South american beans, where I thought it added a bit of complexity and sweetness. FWIW

Comment

I found the Elephant Hills a little bland myself. Smooth as an espresso but lacking any real characters of note. Nowhere near enough acidity to stand up in milk, the only thing that cut through here was a slight bitterness.

It would however make for an outstanding base for a blend. Ill be trying out a KJM blend using the Elephant Hills in place of the Ceja or Mysore tomorrow... I cant wait to see how this binds the blend together. My bet is it will be outstanding. 8-)

Comment

This is an easy bean to roast althugh it can easily bolt to 2C if too much heat is applied up front. Im not really sure how to use this bean. It has a nice sweet and dessert-like aroma and flavour and reminds me very much of chocolate mousse. But its not a complex bean, doesnt stand out in milk and is perhaps a bit too sweet and smooth. Reaches peak flavour profile 5 days post roast.

I tried it blended with the following beans at a ratio of about 30% in the blend.

Ethiopian Gambella - brings out the cherry and coconut notes with a sweet base. Nothing amazing.

Sulawesi Blue - not recommended unless you like sour coffee. For some reason these two beans end up tasting like sour chocolate and not in a good way.

While I like the aroma and flavour of the bean on its own, its not complex or acidic enough to use as a SO in milk drinks, Ive yet to find the perfect blending bean for this one.

Comment

Ive tried blending this one with lots of different combinations but I cant seem to get to work for me. Too soft in espresso on its own and does strange thngs in a blend. Ive now tried it as filter coffee and its ok as that. Maybe my batch was roasted too far? Will roast lighter and see how it goes next time. Cant say Im presently enjoyong this bean much.  :-/

Comment

Originally posted by 505F524152555F5C330 link=1325814208/7#7 date=1332891096
                  Ive tried blending this one with lots of different combinations but I cant seem to get to work for me. Too soft in espresso on its own and does strange thngs in a blend. Ive now tried it as filter coffee and its ok as that. Maybe my batch was roasted too far? Will roast lighter and see how it goes next time. Cant say Im presently enjoyong this bean much.  :-/
                  I think its one of the best bang for buck Indians I have ever seen. We are using in as a base component in two blends with spectacular results.

Comment

Maybe Im just not a fan of its flavour then. Everytime I blend it I get a really sour or bitter shot despite the pour being otherwise good. No such issues with the other beans I have.

Comment

Originally posted by 2A25283B282F2526490 link=1325814208/9#9 date=1332894208
                      Maybe Im just not a fan of its flavour then. Everytime I blend it I get a really sour or bitter shot despite the pour being otherwise good. No such issues with the other beans I have.
                      That can also point to the need to experiment further with your roast profile... :-?

I find it beautifully sweet.

Comment

Couldnt agree more. It was one of the first roasts I did and the results sold me on home roasting.

Comment

So Ive roasted another batch of this bean. I found it scorched easily last batch so Ive used much more gentle heat upfront and a long roast profile. I do believe Ive hit a better flavour profile. The chocolate notes are more prounouced being more cocoa and less pudding like. 3 days post roast and pulling it on a lever machine and it is sweeter and smoother. I can blend it now without weirdness. Its a little bit edgy 3 days post but still drinkable.

Comment

Originally posted by 487D7077435F737A7A79791C0 link=1325814208/8#8 date=1332892438
                            I think its one of the best bang for buck Indians I have ever seen. We are using in as a base component in two blends with spectacular results.
                            Chris, without giving anything away, were those blends that incorporate the Elephant Hills successful in milk-based drinks?
                            Im just thinking of getting some with the beanbay release, but wont be much use to me if of limited value in blends for lattes etc. Anyone else have an opinion in this regard (particularly those whove roasted it a few times)?
                            Cheers
                            BOSW

Comment

Originally posted by 7C7A66787D627E7F110 link=1325814208/13#13 date=1336862011
                              Chris, without giving anything away, were those blends that incorporate the Elephant Hills successful in milk-based drinks?
                              Hi Barry. Use it as a 50/50 indian and central base with a couple of your fave complimentary origins. I am loving this under milk. The new one looks even better than the last one 8-)

Comment

Working...
                              X