Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• India monsoon malabar gold

Hi All,

Just wondering if someone could tell me what to roast this particular bean to. I have done some reading which dates back to 2006 and i dont seem to be able to find anything regarding what point to take it to on the CS roast card..

Cheers,

Chris

Re: India monsoon malabar gold

Originally posted by 252920202323252E342F35460 link=1327463470/0#0 date=1327463470
    Just wondering if someone could tell me what to roast this particular bean to
    MM roasts will be lighter than other beans. I roast to the start of 2nd crack but some may prefer to go longer.
    I wouldnt rely on colour alone to judge roast finish but will generally look about CS7 or 8.

Comment

Cheers Flynn, I guess trying a few variations i will hopefully come to a taste i like... Thanks for the info

Chris

Comment

I roasted a small batch of this on the weekend. I roast in a very low tech fashion, and havent even done a visual confirmation against the CS card, but the roast was definitely a shade lighter than what Id normally roast something like the Perus - about CS7 to 8 sounds about right in relation to my roast.

I was a little worried it was perhaps a little under-roasted.... until I had the first cup yesterday morning. Brilliant... I might have to stock up, cos I think I have a new favourite bean!

Comment

Hey Damienh7,

There is no worse feeling than thinking you have under done the roast. Thinking at the same time should i put them back?? Good to hear it worked out well for you. Im yet to try this one. However will roast it tomorrow night.
          I have brought this SO in roasted beans before and would like to able to mirror the tastes when i roast it. Like you it is one of my Favourites. I tend to have a soft spot for a lot of beans from India.

Comment

I havent tried it at CS 7-8, but did a batch up a week ago to CS10 on the recommendation of a well-regarded CSer.  Tried it today; awesome!  Very low acid, very spicey/chocolatey and stupid amounts of crema.  I do have to grind it VERY fine, however, to get a decent shot volume.  Might try my next batch a bit lighter and see what happens...

Comment

I loved this bean as a short macchiato. Certainly spicy with cocoa on the mid palate.

Roasted on the FZR 700 to what looks like C7, first signs of first crack, and cooled.

Initial aromas when roasting up to 150 deg celcius seemed like smokey bacon.

Hardly any chaff.

Gary at G

Comment

just about to roast some of this, but just double checking,

Gary did you say "first signs of FIRST crack" ?

is roasting that light specific to this bean or you do that for most?

Comment

In my experience you will find that the Monsoons you want to take it just into 2nd crack and you will find that it does roast lighter. Also with this being a large but light bean you might need to take into account the total bean mass in your roaster.

Comment

You are very right there Nodnerb, this bean took me by surprise with how large it was. I now agree after doing a few roasts with this one that taking it just into second crack is good for me. However it may be different for others.

Chris

Comment

"Malabar Gold" is a trademark name for a blend by Josuma Coffee Company. Monsooned Malabar is an Indian coffee from the Malabar region.

Comment

Originally posted by 7E59475948432C0 link=1327463470/7#7 date=1330221775
                        did you say "first signs of FIRST crack"
                        Was meant to say first signs of second crack, as per most of the punters here.
                        Good pick up Rukudo. Took a while before someone noticed.

It is a sweet tasting bean, with saltiness found in the crema.

Gary at G

Comment

heheh, i was a little confused on that one.

I figured that was the case and did much the same as others have suggested.  I also thought that due to the lower moisture content I would need to adjust my heat for this bean, and that was the case.

Roast was still a bit too short for my liking (1st @ 7, 2nd @ 11).  Will lower the heat even more next time and try and stretch it out a tad.

Dont have a heat probe, so everything is roasted by the senses

Comment

Originally posted by 4E69776978731C0 link=1327463470/12#12 date=1330479310
                            Roast was still a bit too short for my liking (1st @ 7, 2nd @ 11)

Off topic, how big was your batch and what roaster are you using?

Gary at G

Comment

Closed Correto with a 200g batch. Used the same settings as usual for a 200g Hue hue prior and that was 1st @ 12, 2nd @ 16.

Allowed corretto to cool down between.

Comment

Working...
                              X