Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maui Mokka Ka'anapali Estate

Oh my, oh my...

Tried some today out of Andy's Australium with Rick.

We didn't even get near a great pour before I had to leave. No pour on the first and a very choked second that looked like it was waaay too tight and yet what an amazing, low-acid dark cocoa bomb. Can't wait to try and nail a shot tomorrow!

Same experience- I have just started drinking my first batch and had to wind out the grind on the Macap a full turn... but haven't nailed the extraction yet.

i think it is because the beans are actually quite small so i went to cs11 where regular beans go to cs9-10 at the same settings.

So far enjoying the cocoa bomb flavour.

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    Oh my, oh my...

Tried some today out of Andy's Australium with Rick.

We didn't even get near a great pour before I had to leave. No pour on the first and a very choked second that looked like it was waaay too tight and yet what an amazing, low-acid dark cocoa bomb. Can't wait to try and nail a shot tomorrow!

Comment

Just opened my first batch of the Mauii. CS9 roasted on corretto. Day 7. Wound my grinder out 2 notches (thanks for the tip guys) and pulled a double on my Carimali Uno. Got approx 50mLs in approx 45 secs (guesstimated), so I still need to try courser. Keeping in mind I'm very poor at putting words to my tastes, I would describe as very low acidity, malt and a hint of creamed honey followed by a slowly developing chocolate which then just lasts and lasts.

Most 'chocolate' I find in coffee is more a roasted cocoa bean flavour rather than chocolate (cocoa (solids and butter), sugar +/- milk), but this one is more like chocolate to me. I think roasting a little darker would turn it into a dark cocoa on my palette. Might have to try this one at multiple roast depths, both darker and lighter.

Comment

Tried a single shot this morning. The volume / weight ratio of the grinds was about as low as I've seen. The K3 spat out a full dose about 20% faster than usual. Definitely need to go for a coarser grind, but a very nice espresso (sip) then piccolo (the rest).

Comment

I might have to get some of this... I love me some Mocha/Java so this might be right up my alley.

Comment

What sort of profile did you roast this on?

Comment

Originally posted by meimjr View Post
              What sort of profile did you roast this on?
              Hi meinjr,

Not sure what type of set-up your roasting on, so may be worth a grain of salt, but here is my log.
              Corretto, Palsonic PAB3600, insulated with partial lid. Bosch adjustable HG.

450g green

This is right on the cusp of 2nd crack and is absolutely perfect for my tastes / brewing equipment.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Maui.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	734674

Comment

Well, this 1st roast is developing. I'm still getting malt, the creamed honey has developed into a beautiful caramel and the chocolate has become more intense and more like cocoa. Very round and smooth on the pallete. Definitely one that gets you scooping out that last drop in the cup.

Only a few days until roast no 2 is ready to open, and it looks better.

Comment

Agree that the early milk chocolate character tends towards darker cocoa as the coffee matures.

Comment

This will, from now, be one of my favourites! Very like the best of the Yemeni coffees, but better. Yum. I got both chocolate bomb and fruit when roasted to the very first snaps of second crack.

Very small dense bean. I ground to my usual level and it was fine. The volume of beans to get the right weight was very low.

Greg

Comment

I roasted some this week too, for the first time.
                      Look like cocoa pops, they are tiny!!
                      They sound like cocoa pops, boy were they quiet!!
                      Can't wait to give them a rip in a week's time.

This is them next to a 'normal' size bean
                      Attached Files

Comment

So, Mrs DBC very sneakily bought me a bag of these lil' beauties for Christmas - the gift that'll keep on giving! What a great pressie

My question - any tips on a profile for roasting them to get the best out of them? My gut feeling is they are so small (and soft?) that maybe a faster ramp would be advisable to stop them being over-roasted? Something similar to roasting something like the Uganda Kisoro or Eth Sidamo?
                        I'll be sure to log my cupping notes and thoughts anyway - just like to start off on the right foot!
                        Cheers Matt

Comment

Hi Matt,

Awesome!! Great prezzy!! You'll love these beans!

They are a low altitude 'island bean'; (i.e. soft, not like it's Yemeni cousins- hard ;-]) I gave them a gentle and continuous ramp - about 75% initial heat
                          and no more than 80%, in the HG.

Only did one roast, so I can't compare with a different profile.

Cheers

Comment

Thanks Chokkidog
                            I'm give them a whirl and report on the results - gentle roast it is!
                            Matt

Comment

These Maui beans - they're a wild old roast!
                              Did 700g this morning early while it was still cool. Absolutely tiny beans!

Blew gallons of smoke from 160° right through till 190° (normal beans only smoke till 160°ish).
                              Almost missed hearing 1C totally - heard maybe 1-2 pops (only just enough to log!) then hit the first snaps of 2C about 3° earlier than usual - around 221° so dropped them.
                              Blackened chaff everywhere - but the beans look nice. Maybe slightly darker than I'd normally go to - could have dropped a degree or two earlier I think - but we'll see how these cup!

Profile and pic

Happy roasting!
                              Matt

Name:	20140117-Maui-Mokka-20amb_FMD4365.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	736969

Name:	20140117-Maui-Mokka-20amb.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	107.0 KB