Tanzanian Njari Wami - any guides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tanzanian Njari Wami - any guides

I purchased these beans a few weeks ago and tried my first roast today. I use an FZ-RR-700 Baby Roaster.

1). It came out a bit patchy 2). I couldn't find any info on how dark to roast these beans so just took a guess and pulled the roast about 15 sec into second crack.
    If there are any Coffee Snob guides out there who can offer suggestions, I would be very grateful.

And - okay, I'm pushing my luck here - but any thoughts on how long to leave it in the one-way valve bag (given the special properties of the the FZ-RR-700) and how fine to grind it (I use a Mazzer Mini, manual version) would be very welcome.

Cheers
    Jeremy

Jay, I don't know this bean though I have roasted and enjoyed the Tanzania Machare Estate (which tasted best after 10 days). I would expect this to improve with age, so perhaps leave it in the bag for around 5 days and then begin to cup. It should continue to improve for around 3 weeks. Let us know how you go with it.

Comment

Originally posted by smokey View Post
      Jay, I don't know this bean though I have roasted and enjoyed the Tanzania Machare Estate (which tasted best after 10 days). I would expect this to improve with age, so perhaps leave it in the bag for around 5 days and then begin to cup. It should continue to improve for around 3 weeks. Let us know how you go with it.
      Many thanks Smokey. Any clues on how dark to roast these beans?

Comment

I always go just to start of second crack, I love the dark roasts.

Comment

I always go just to start of second crack, I love the dark roasts.
          Thanks. I pulled the roast about 15 sec into the second crack. Some of the beans look like they are roasted nice and dark on the outside but not on the inside. Last cry for help... any suggestions?

Comment

How long was the overall roast time?

Darker outside than in suggests the roast was too quick.

What time interval between 1st and 2nd crack? Scorching = too hot between 1st and 2nd crack.

15 seconds into 2nd might be 14 seconds too long?

Despite using the baby your roast still needs to rest, wait until day 7, at least, roast enough to make it to R+7.

Comment

Thanks Chokkidog. Much appreciated.
              I'll try a lower flame next time (first crack was around 8 min and second about 1 min later). Happy to let it rest for 7 days. Not too sure what you mean by 'Roast enough to make it to R+7'. Apologies for my ignorance.
              Cheers
              Jeremy

Comment

No.....I'm sorry Jeremy..... just meant for you to roast enough quantity so that if you get stuck in early you will
                have enough to make it to day 7! ;-)

Aim for 11-12 mins to 1st crack and then 3&1/2 -4&1/2 mins to start of 2nd crack.

Post up your results from next time!

Comment

Thanks.
                  I still have enough Monsooned Malabar and Sulawesi blend to keep me going so no risk of digging into this batch too early. Thanks again. I will definitely slow the roast and put the results up on this thread.
                  Cheers
                  Jeremy

Comment

Jay, please keep us informed how it goes, sounds like a good rest will make a bit difference in taste as Chokkidog says.

Comment

Jay, please keep us informed how it goes, sounds like a good rest will make a bit difference in taste as Chokkidog says.
                      Absolutely. Will do. And thank you both for all your help.

Comment

Another go. Similar result.

Another go today. I roasted two batches of the Tanzanian Njari Wami and two batches of the Monsooned Malabar. Both on a lower flame so a slower roast - first crack at 12 min in all four roasts.

The MM came out fine. It always seems to (with hardly a gap between first and second crack). With the Tanzanian Njari Wami there was a minute or so between first and second crack, but the result was similar to last time; very dark on the outside but still looking like it is not roasted properly on the inside.

Anyone got any thoughts on this?
                        Attached Files

Comment

The top line of beans look quite well roasted, but I shall leave the judgement to our experienced roasters.

If you break them in half, what do they look like? Post a pic if you can.

The generally accepted remedy for under-roasted beans is to leave them longer before using, and use in an aeropress or plunger rather than espresso.

Your timing sounds OK, but lets look at some cracked beans first and check that out.

EDIT:= that top line of beans have white/cream coloured chaff stuck in the centre crack, thats very normal, and it doesn't really go brown until it falls off into the chaff tray. I gather from the sizes that the top line is Tanzania and the bottom is Monsoon Malabar?

Comment

Thanks Smokey

Turned out to be a great suggestion of yours to break those beans in half. A big thank you. Slightly embarrassing... when I opened them, they are well roasted inside and it's just a bit of chaff that made it appear that they weren't. Ah well, we learn best by our mistakes, and even more by our public ones.

The lower line you referred to is the Monsooned Malabar beans, which I tend to roast more lightly. I prefer the flavour that way and the crema is still amazing.

Cheers

Jeremy

Just saw your edit - after I posted my response. The RF-ZZ-700 doesn't have a chaff tray. Can I use that as an excuse?
                            Attached Files

Comment

Jay, they look awesome don't they, that crack-in-half trick works a treat

Comment

Working...
                              X