Costa Rica Geisha SHB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Costa Rica Geisha SHB

I'm going to drop 5kg of this little beauty tomorrow...

Needless that the phone will be on silent while it's in the drum...

Wish me luck!

And here I was thinking about a visit tomorrow! ;-D

Now I might put it off a week!! ;-D;-D;-D

Good luck! Double check your gas supplies! :-D

Comment

I found it an easy bean to roast. I ended up dropping it 8 degrees celsius lower than typical second crack and enjoyed the roast as espresso. It's got the typical sweetness and floral/citrus notes I associate with geisha although not as pronounced as some top Panama versions such as Don Pachi (which is almost twice the price).

Comment

Curiosity got the better of me and we just ran some through the aeropress.

This is one special coffee....A beautiful example of everything I'd hope for from a Geisha coffee.

FWIW, we took it a little further than kwantfm, I dumped the roast just as the first scout went into 2nd- about 3 deg. C from true 2nd.
        Last edited by TC; 15 March 2014, 11:41 AM. Reason: syntax

Comment

My first time roasting a Geisha. I gave it my strandard SHB profile, ending the roast about 5 degrees prior to first snaps of second. About 14 mins all up.

5 days post roast, double espresso = lots of sweetness and delicate floral in aroma and front palate with a very pleasant acidity. Full bodied but very clean at the same time, light caramels in the finish, long lasting after taste. Makes a brilliant strong flat white as well.

I might try shortening my maillard phase a fraction on the next roast see if I can get it to " POP " just a bit more.

Comment

I began drinking a batch from Talk Coffee today. I've got to agree with Steve82 here. I was thinking of my description and then came here and saw he'd already summed it up.
            A real sweet espresso with delicate florals, very pleasant acidity, full bodied yet clean and smooth with a caramel finish. See, what Steve82 said.

Comment

I liked this but thought the Jaramilla shb was nicer and more complex. If prefer this to be a bit brighter (but could just be my roast).

Comment

What does SHB mean?

Comment

"Strictly hard bean" I think?

Comment

Yes, it refers to high grown coffee or coffee that is grown above about/approx 4000 ft.

Comment

If you google 'coffee classification and grading' you'll find all you need to know. But there's some info here:

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/home-roast...tml#post514836 post#10

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/home-roast...tml#post501621 post#7

The hardness of a bean is determined by the number of cells per cubic millimetre. The higher the number the harder the bean.

The higher the altitude the denser the cell structure.

Comment

A great LB through the aeropress - light and tangy, still tasting it 30 min later. Roasted to 215, I normally get to SC around 220.
                        Fruitiness and acidity, complexity developed more as it cooled. Perhaps this is why I liked it brewed this way.
                        Also was great in a 50/50 blend with ethiopian gambella, again as an aeropress LB.

Comment

Ah, thanks for that Jack, Chris and Dog.

Comment

Is the current Geisha the same as the one on this thread from 3 years ago? Either way, I roasted it yesterday, halfway between FC and SC (it was quite cold so the popper took longer than usual).

Today on the filter, it was a clean Latin American washed coffee with a hint of smoke (not so much tea or the bergamot of Earl Grey, though). Balanced with quite a full mouth, although the finish is not as long as the Sidamo Ardi natural.

I like it, but debating whether it is worth the $1-2/cup this would cost me to have this as the regular Latin American washed (over Colombian VG). I guess that's what I used to pay for roasted beans. Either way, looking forward to trying various roast profiles and this 1kg will go quickly.

Comment

Roasted 300g of the San Marcos washed Geisha for filter brewing. Did a 9 minute roast 4C into first crack. Great looking roast, nice and even.
                              Today I cupped it 5 days post roast--a zesty green apple acidity with fruity notes, rich body, nice and clean with a lingering mouthfeel😃😃😃😃A most enjoyable experience and totally different to Panama Geisha I have tried.

Comment

Working...
                              X