Decaf wow is really wow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decaf wow is really wow

A few days after roasting DECAF - Wow it is tasting quite nice. Im looking forward to testing it out as it ages a bit more.

The roasting of DECAF - Wow differs a lot from other beans. I thought my thermometer was playing up because of how the roast went in relation to the temperature. The beans were very dark and there was quite a lot of smoke even before first crack.

My plan for the next batch is to get to first crack a little sooner so the water content will be higher and more suitable for a dark roast. Has anyone else come up with a good roast time/temp curve? Any thoughts on how we should roast it?

Chris.

Re: DECAF - Wow

I dont vary my profile for decaf from my normal general profile, i dont go via colour very much at all but rather stop my roast right at the start of SC.

It is a little disconcerting to roast the first time because the colour and sound volume of FC is just so different to normal beans during the roast process.

Comment

Bolb is spot-on.

IGNORE colour, use the probe to get a similar curve to your own average roast and pull and cool at the very first pops of 2nd crack.

(I dont think I would want a fast ramp to 1st crack but give it a try, you might like it better that on that profile)

Remember, the beauty of home roasting is the chance to pave your own way!

Comment

Ive done four experimental roasts, and hit one that works for me.

Andy, what a beautiful aroma, and I love the flavour - an espresso I can drink straight and truly enjoy. Even better, its a decaf. The best decaf I have ever tasted, hands down.

Decaf Wow had to be roasted with way more heat to get to FC in a normal time than any of my other roasts in the Coretto. My heatgun nozzle had to be 2cm lower than usual, with the nozzle in the top of the breadpan. This would normally burn any other roast pretty rapidly.

I hit first isolated snaps of FC at 16:46 and RSC at 19:50 at which time I cut the heat and coasted for 20 secs (very smokey), pulled and cooled at 20:10. CS12, no oil. 400g greens = 340g roasted.

The final roast I did, I tried to extend the time between FC and SC by reducing the heat after FC at 16:40 by bringing the HG up 2cm to a normal level, and what I thought was the beginning of SC must have actually just been RFC - pulled too early, CS11, on the sour side. Oh well, I only learn by trying.

Im going to enjoy every pour of the roast that hit SC. Yum.

Comment

Thanks Bolb, Andy and Inellidepth. I think I let the smoke get the better of me and I reduced the heat too much.
          Now Im really inspired. Ill try my best to have nerves of steel and follow my planned curve to second crack. I think some Rocky theme music will help me.

Comment

I just did another roast stopping a little short of second crack. We had a coffee as soon as it cooled down and it is already tasting delicious.
            Thanks Andy! We havent had too many coffees that taste so good so soon. It seemed to have plenty of body and nice chocolate notes. We will enjoy tasting the changes as it ages a little.

The roast wasnt as scary as I thought it would be. It was still smokey but it didnt get overly smokey as the temp went up and up. My roast time was shorter than Intellidepths. Rolling first crack was at 7 minutes and I stopped at 12 minutes. I think I will stretch out the roast next time, what do you guys think?

Comment

Yep, stretch the roast out, try for FC around the 10min mark if you can do it and then a gentle ramp to SC say 4 mins later.

Comment

Thanks bolb, Ill do a roast just like that and see how it goes. Im sure this coffee is going to taste really nice with a range of roast profiles.
                Today I was tasting some lovely dark caramel / toasty notes. Yummy toasty. The toasty character seems to linger for ages.
                I blended some (maybe 20%) with a supremo and it lifted the flavour of the coffee nicely.
                I wonder if Andy would consider doing a non-decaf Espresso Wow as a green bean for us???

Comment

Im loving this decaf wow! Stopped just on the first snaps of 2nd crack (using temperature). I was surprised by the complexity of flavour, and can tell theres a blend, by the variation in first crack sound, temp and time.

Must add, that the crema on this decaf is incredible. I didnt know it was possible to get such a viscous pour from a decaf. Amazing, and congrats to Andy. Ive never tasted a decaf so good.

Al.

Comment

tis great to see that everyone is enjoying it.

Im really proud of how it turned-out and we were stunned just how good a decaf can be if you start with excellent coffee beans. I have to thank the guys at Swiss Water for producing a process that is chemical free but still allows the quality of the coffee to shine though.

Enjoy!

Comment

Is the decaf-wow a single origin or a blend?
                      What kind of beans?
                      Thanks.
                      Spressoman

Comment

Originally posted by 676E6164606C75660F0 link=1243147592/10#10 date=1243516389
                        Is the decaf-wow a single origin or a blend?
                        What kind of beans?
                        Thanks.
                        Spressoman
                        I am pretty sure it is a blend but here are Andys notes for WOW decaf green beans

Working closely with the Swiss Water team we have developed a custom Swiss Water Process Decaf that is as close to Espresso Wow as we can get. You will stun your friends and family when you tell them this good bodied, whole palate balanced coffee is a decaf.

Roast by temperature, not colour to just before second crack for best results.
                        KK

Comment

Originally posted by 2B0C16070E0E0B060712160A620 link=1243147592/3#3 date=1243212667
                          hit one that works for me
                          ...well nearly! After a week it seems to taste darker than Id quite prefer. Lots of oil showed up after a few days. Next roast Ill pull it earlier.

I had six decaf WOWs back to back one afternoon... thats gotta mean its good.

Comment

Bought a bag of this last beanbay for some friends. Kept 60 grams and ran it through the popper out of curiosity...

Anyone who has caffeine issues would be well happy with this. Quite a nice coffee indeed and nothing really decaf about it.

Well done Mr Freeman. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Comment

Originally posted by 505D5E50320 link=1243147592/6#6 date=1243293773
                              try for FC around the 10min mark if you can do it and then a gentle ramp to SC say 4 mins later.  
                              Thanks bolb, I did a roast just like that and we all enjoyed that one too  
                              The decaf is the most enjoyed coffee around these here parts at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                              X