Rwandan Nyungwe A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rwandan Nyungwe A

Has anyone been roasting this bean lately. Am roasting with a V1 Behmor, first time roasting with this bean. Using 300g P2 C and found C1 kicked in at 13.30 min which coincided nicely with the drop in power to 70% and stopped roast at 19.15min. Stopped it there because I was sure C2 must be fast approaching however there was no sounds of C2 when cooling. >6 min seems a long time between cracks?? Roasted beans weighed 250g and colour CS9. Post roast 7 days taste is Ok but nothing outstanding. I am thinking this roast may have stalled. How have others found this bean??
    Thanks Cicarda

Hi Cicarda, I have been roasting this bean on P3 using a V1 Behmor. Took it to probably CS10 and it has a lot of depth in flavour. It was roasted a couple of weeks ago but from memory it took a long time to hit 2C. Worth persisting with this bean.

Comment

Thanks dan77 also read some notes from greenbay says to try a slow roast profile and darker roast. So P3 and touching on second crack might just be the go! Will be a couple of weeks from my next roast, so will report back.
      Cicarda

Comment

OK tried these beans at 1lb P3B for 300g. Roasted outside as usual very cold 10C. a 20min roast time on the Behmor. C1 with 2min left on the clock and added max time (3min 20 extra). Did not reach C2 however very even CS9.5 colour. Sampled this roast at day 3 and already it tastes more complex compared to previous roast. Seems the slower ramp up bringing out the best in this bean. Will continue to experiment!
        Cicarda

Comment

I had to roast inside on the stove under the range hood this winter as I was wasting too many beans due to the ambient temperature and wind messing with my roasts. All the best!!

Dan

Comment

rwanda Nyungwe A not very nice??

Iknow this is an old thread but i am having trouble with this bean twice now roasted to CS10 10 seconds into C2 (300 g P2 B) (how i start most beans Lazy Boy) BUT the roast has asour back note and vegetal aroma whiuch is vbery unpleasant
            any ideas
            the beans do not look "Good sized beans, super clean washing and very well sorted." as described rather small and ill assorted maybe wroing batch?

Comment

Old thread? Yes, this is a different shipment but still a great coffee this year.

CS10 and "a sour back note" sounds like too fast and too dark.

Add 50g to your batch, slow the roast down, pull it a little earlier. Think more CS9 and the sour could be coming from too fast a roast (not cooking through a dense bean)

This is a stunning coffee, one of the best beans this year and I'll be surprised if you can't get something very good from it but you will have to change your process... repeating the same and getting similar results is an expected outcome.

Comment

I'm not liking these beans, little flavour and poor crema I'll try slowing the roast down next time.

Comment

How fast was it?

Comment

Originally posted by dolmar View Post
                    I'm not liking these beans, little flavour and poor crema I'll try slowing the roast down next time.
                    Weird... this bean oozes out like caramel for me when roast to around CS9.5/10 and getting shit loads of creama. Using 400/P4 on Behmor dropping the temp on first crack to to 25% for around a min then back to 50% hitting the cool after a few second cracks. Never had such a beautiful naked portafilter extraction like this before

Comment

Weird? Not really. ;-)

There's nothing wrong with the bean.

It's a cracker.

Comment

Originally posted by chokkidog View Post
                        How fast was it?
                        15 min with a corretto roaster.

Comment

15 mins with a corretto, popcorn machine or any roaster still depends on what's happening within that 15 mins. I use to roast on a Corretto and the now roast on a larger type of roaster and most of my roasts time wise are the still the same. What happens before FC and for how long and what happens after FC and for how long will make some difference in the end result.

Like the others on this thread have said this bean is a great one and I think its a great one as a stand alone single Origin.

Chris

Comment

I believe this maybe the best coffee I have ever had. The start of the pour looks like a block of "old gold chocolate" oozing out the portafiller. I wouldn't consider using in a blend as it is just so good as a stand alone. A bag of the current crop arrives today. Fingers crossed it's just as good.
                            Stuart

Comment

I really want to try it.

Comment

Working...
                              X