Ethiopia Biftu Gesha Sundried

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethiopia Biftu Gesha Sundried

Just tried my first cup four days after roasting. I roasted it reasonably light in my Gene Cafe stopping after first crack had completed and before second crack had commenced - my usual roasting regime for Ethiopian naturals.

Drinking this as a flat white the taste was remarkably spicy with mild cocoa predominating, quite exotic actually, the sort of coffee you'd expect from a Casbah.

Interesting yes, but at this stage not enough weight, certainly compared to the wonderful Colombia La Esperanza Gesha Cerro Azul I've been drinking for the last few weeks, but that's an unfair comparison.

Also 4 days after roast is usually not enough for Ethiopians to develop so I'll post again in a few days and let you know how it is coming along.

I've got some of this 4 days post too, faster ramp to just the whiff of 2C.
    Just ran a double ristretto through the Lido and the triple basket - and wow is there some stuff going on here!
    Very exotic - I found it lighter in body than the Gambella but with similar 'fermented fruit' flavours overall, with great acidity. But also perhaps some chinese 5 spice-like flavours and a hint of aniseed? And the aroma is fabulous

Comment

I bought some that Andy has roasted and there certainly is some stuff going on there. About a week post roast and hasn't settled down but getting better every day

Comment

Originally posted by ccgnome View Post
        Drinking this as a flat white the taste was remarkably spicy with mild cocoa predominating, quite exotic actually, the sort of coffee you'd expect from a Casbah.
        Do people often drink Gesha coffee with milk?? I had always thought of it as a black coffee but that was really due to reading articles about when Star Bucks had it for the first time and the articles mostly said something like "sorry not for you milk coffee drinkers". Does it come down to the individual lot of gesha as to milk being the go or not as obviously the notes with this one say something along the lines of it's good with milk.

Genuine question, not a criticism or anything like that!

Comment

Originally posted by gtstcactus View Post
          Do people often drink Gesha coffee with milk?? I had always thought of it as a black coffee but that was really due to reading articles about when Star Bucks had it for the first time and the articles mostly said something like "sorry not for you milk coffee drinkers". Does it come down to the individual lot of gesha as to milk being the go or not as obviously the notes with this one say something along the lines of it's good with milk.

Genuine question, not a criticism or anything like that!
          It is fine with milk as it has more than enough acidity to cut through. You'll taste more of the unique varietal flavour in a short black of course but you'll still a good sample of that special character in a flat white or long macchiato.

It is true some coffees work best with black coffee but I don't think this is one of them. Starbucks attitude may be more a reflection of "coffee preciousness" than anything else. See a lot of it these days like all those trendy coffee shops that refuse to serve food with their coffee or wont make their daily single origin coffee available for milk based coffees because "You can't taste the coffee" Sure I understand the point but heck the customer is paying for the coffee and is entitled to drink coffee however they want.

Comment

Drink what you like ... how you like.

Comment

My original comments about Ethiopia Biftu Gesha were posted 4 days after roasting. This is an update 8 days after roasting.

With the help of the additional time the body and flavours in this coffee have intensified. What was mild cocoa is now closer to chocolate. Fruity flavours are now quite evident while at 4 days after roast they were subdued. There is also an unusual aromatic present as well - a bit like bergamot in earl grey tea. With the intensification of other flavours the spiciness that dominated the coffee at 4 days is more laid back and better balanced.

Overall this is a heavily layered and nuanced coffee that will appeal most to those who value and appreciate the uniqueness of premium single origins. It may not appeal to those who value coffee largely on its strength but hey I've now placed an order for another 2.5KG and that probably says it all.

Comment

Second your findings ccgnome
                I've just pulled a stunning double ris from some of these roasted 10 days ago. No chocolate (but I dropped just before 2C) but an amazing sweet buttery mouthfeel that just keeps hanging around - swirling this puppy is like cupping olive oil!. Little acidity to speak of, but there is great clarity which is surprising - more like the way port cuts through rather than a lime perhaps. I'm getting some raisins and vanilla, but agree with the mystery flavour - not a big tea drinker, but see what you mean - very much a herbal kind of flavour - like the cornflowers in T2 Blue Mountain? See if it gains clarity over the next few days…
                Great find Andy

Comment

I have 5kg on the way. Can't wait to roast it up !!

Comment

So after 4 days I've decided to try these. What a fantastic bean! The description is spot on.. I'm getting fruity notes which I wish were more predominant like other Ethiopians I've had recently. Then the other taste I'm getting is chocolate. I wonder what these would be like in a cold drip! I bet the fruity notes would pop!
                    Last edited by neofelis; 21 March 2015, 10:27 AM.

Comment

I will be running it through my dripper Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426912967.767331.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	324.0 KB
ID:	738645

Comment

I'll let you know the results.

Comment

Awww!! I need a dripper! I was going to buy a Tiamo one but I didn't know about the quality. I could of got a good price too!

That's a Tiamo Rocket right?

Comment

Just finished roasting a batch of this bean this morning. I'm not very experienced at roasting yet and it was into a rolling second crack by the time I got it on the cooling rack. Still, can't wait to see how it comes out.

Comment

That's a Tiamo Ultimate. It's sold iron. Amazing. My local cafe has one running.

Comment

Working...
                              X