Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the best Ethiopian on Beanbay right now and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the best Ethiopian on Beanbay right now and why?

Hi All,

Such a massive variety of Ethiopians on Beanbay right now which is actually very impressive selection from one sell. Well done Andy!!!

Anyhow, i typically go with Ethiopian Yirgacheffe special prep which is such a lovely bean. Cant seem to stop buying it. But with so many different types of Ethiopians, i wanted to do a quick poll to tell me a bit about what your thoughts are and to share your personal experience with the rest of us coffeesnobs

From the below selection:
    1. What is your favourite Ethiopian Bean?
    2. Why is it your favourite?
    3. Whats your roast profile that you do?
    4. How do you drink this?

List of Ethiopians currently available on BeanBay:
    • Ethiopian Bifu Gesha Sundried
    • Ethiopian Gambella Sundried
    • Ethiopian Ghimbi
    • Ethiopian Harrar Longberry
    • Ethiopian Limmu Sundried
    • Ethiopian Sidamo
    • Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Special Prep

G'day "madaxle"...

Actually, I love 'em all. They are all quite different in the cup and as a result, you can mix'n'match them in various blends or roast profiles, to give you quite different results no matter which way you drink them.

Can never have too many Ethiopian beans in my view...

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimal View Post
      G'day "madaxle"...

Actually, I love 'em all. They are all quite different in the cup and as a result, you can mix'n'match them in various blends or roast profiles, to give you quite different results no matter which way you drink them.

Mal.

Agree fully Mal. Ethiopians and Costa Ricans. Bring 'em on!

Comment

Originally posted by Dimal View Post
        G'day "madaxle"...

Mal.
        So true. Ethiopian beans were one of the first I ever tried.

They just do it for me!

Comment

Agree with everyone.... they are all great and all different (which is why we have them).

I suggest you try the Biftu next, more in the Yirg style (floral and fruity)

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
            Agree with everyone.... they are all great and all different (which is why we have them).

I suggest you try the Biftu next, more in the Yirg style (floral and fruity)
            Ha! Subtle enabling. Thank you.

Comment

Two sleeps to Wednesday roast day!

Excitment building. Keenly waiting for the Gesha beans.

Comment

Just received my CoffeeSnobs order for Yirg and Biftu. First time for Biftu, on Andy’s recommendation here.

Yirgy is one of my favourites. I have roasted and drunk more Yirgacheffe than any other beans. Yum.

I have also used Harrar, Limmu and Sidamo. I like them all.

Thanks all for your information.

Barry
                Last edited by Barry_Duncan; 30 September 2015, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Interested to know from the Ethiopian selection, which has the lowest acidity and biggest chocolate flavour? I drink espresso only and really don't like bright acidic espresso. Looking for sweetness and maybe a little spice but no sharpness.

Comment

G'day Aaron...

If BIG chocolate is your thing, I'd probably recommend the "Rwanda Nyungwe A" over any of the Ethiopians but of course, the roast profile you use has an awful lot to do with it. If you definitely want to try an Ethiopian though, I'd probably recommend you try the "Ethiopian Gambella Sundried" to kick off with, then use a gentle-ish profile that you take into the first few snaps of 2nd_Crack. This will realise a nice strong dark choc. finish but still retain all the lovely berry notes and soft spiciness that these beauties are known for.

At the end of the day, you will probably need to experiment with a couple of different roast profiles, so as to highlight the flavours that appeal to you but that's half the fun of home roasting after all...

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenBeanGenii View Post
                      Two sleeps to Wednesday roast day!

Excitment building. Keenly waiting for the Gesha beans.

What a way to start out on Monday.

By deliberate and happy choice I waited until now before opening the Gesha.

Glass French plunger out to mark the occasion......

Best described as Holy Chihuahua! Total YUM.
                      Shall partake of this beauty again.
                      Roasted to perfection.

Thank you,Andy.

x

Comment

Originally posted by GreenBeanGenii View Post
                        What a way to start out on Monday.

By deliberate and happy choice I waited until now before opening the Gesha.

Glass French plunger out to mark the occasion......

Best described as Holy Chihuahua! Total YUM.
                        Shall partake of this beauty again.
                        Roasted to perfection.

Thank you,Andy.

x

Its it's damn good stuff this Biftu Gesha. Halfway through a batch I roasted 7 days ago to a lighter grade- around one minute post FC. This stuff reminds me of the Dimetap runny nose ad. It just keeps coming from the PF in big syrupy drops of goodness and never seems to develop into a stream until around the 25 second mark. It was so nice I went through 500 grams just on the weekend! Back to the roaster I go.

Comment

Originally posted by Gavisconi007 View Post
                          Its it's damn good stuff this Biftu Gesha. Halfway through a batch I roasted 7 days ago to a lighter grade- around one minute post FC. This stuff reminds me of the Dimetap runny nose ad. It just keeps coming from the PF in big syrupy drops of goodness and never seems to develop into a stream until around the 25 second mark. It was so nice I went through 500 grams just on the weekend! Back to the roaster I go.
                          Hi All - looking for some roasting guidance for the Biftu , fairly new to roasting having done around 40 so far using a hottop 2k.... the very first roast i did was amazing , lots of great floral aromas especially from off the spent puck , i use a hottop and slowish profile ....however following the same roast profile for a second roast resulting in a distinct lack of the florals i experienced with the first roast ... i have attempted a couple more roasts with both a faster and slower profile , tried different charge temps , all to first snap of 2nd crack but the original experience is still lacking ...any ideas please ?...thanks

Comment

Today I had yet another OMDog, Holy Chihuahua moment.

I had the beautiful Gesha as a Piccolo. Took some beans to friends and was treated to coffee made with a less than 3 months old Strega.

Straight out bliss.

Comment

Originally posted by wizzzzzzzzzzer View Post
                              Hi All - looking for some roasting guidance for the Biftu , fairly new to roasting having done around 40 so far using a hottop 2k.... the very first roast i did was amazing , lots of great floral aromas especially from off the spent puck , i use a hottop and slowish profile ....however following the same roast profile for a second roast resulting in a distinct lack of the florals i experienced with the first roast ... i have attempted a couple more roasts with both a faster and slower profile , tried different charge temps , all to first snap of 2nd crack but the original experience is still lacking ...any ideas please ?...thanks

I also use use a Hottop. I just use the automatic profile up to the absolute first bean to crack, then immediately drop the heat down to the second notch. Leave the heat down until end of first crack then ramp it back up immediately to the third last notch. Let it run another 60 seconds, 90 max. Dump. Works for me

Comment

Working...
                              X