No announcement yet.

Ethiopia Sidamo Ardi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used this with Soy milk this morning (for Daughter, not me) and was surprised to find it split the milk.
    I rarely use Soy milk but on the couple of occasions I have used it previously I don't remember this happening (would have been with WOW.)
    Pity because the Soy steamed really well.
    So that extra bit of acidity made all the difference it seems.

Comment

Interesting, I don't add soy,almond, rice, potato or whatever the latest non dairy is but I wouldn't have thought the Ardi was "that" acidic. Certainly not in the same league as a Kenyan, PNG or some of the centrals that can clean plaque off your teeth.

Still a stunning coffee though. Smells amazing tipping the green beans into the roaster, they smell even better when I empty them into the cooling tray and when I bag them-up.

A fortnight later they peak in the bag and explode on the grinder. Just a pleasure to work with these.

Comment

Got this pre-roasted (wanted to treat myself), and for awhile was having a little trouble with it. Was always just a bit too sour, pours were a bit pale, and felt it was maybe a tad too light a roast for espresso (as I was fitting 23.5g into my basket, whereas I can only usually get 22g or so max, and 23.5g was still quite shallow in the basket so can easily fit more). Extractions were also quite odd and there many dead spots, something I hadn't ever experienced before with any other bean with this grinder.

But after resting the beans more, and increasing the yield (pushing it up to 1:2.25, or about 53 grams out), it is absolutely delicious. The sourness has gone, it's juicy, blueberries galore, and it's much more balanced. Still stranger looking extractions than I'm used to but it doesn't seem to matter now.

Just beautiful!
        Last edited by simonsk8r; 29th January 2019, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Uuuuummmmmm......Love those Ethiopian Blueberries!!!

Java "Salivating" phile
          Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

I'm just in the middle of a bag I roasted a fortnight ago - OMG is this bean amazing. Huge blueberry aromas and flavor. I had an iced latte with it because of the heat here in Melbourne - it's like drinking a chocolate blueberry milkshake. I've made up my mind that this bean isn't being shared with anyone (maybe just my wife actually.......).

Comment

Originally posted by DaveD View Post
              I'm just in the middle of a bag I roasted a fortnight ago - OMG is this bean amazing. Huge blueberry aromas and flavor. I had an iced latte with it because of the heat here in Melbourne - it's like drinking a chocolate blueberry milkshake. I've made up my mind that this bean isn't being shared with anyone (maybe just my wife actually.......).
              Ohhhhhh thanks for the reminder, totally gonna try an iced latte tomorrow (gonna be a scorcher tomorrow)...)

Comment

I was away for about 8 weeks, had about 37g of EthSidArdNat left over which I forgot to chuck in the freezer. So when I got home yesterday before I got around to roasting more I had enough for two cups.

It was about 9 or 10 weeks after roasting and I thought it would be fine. Not so much. Firstly '20' on the Niche Zero no longer worked. Pressure on the Breville 902 was 7-ish instead of the usual 9.5 and coming through way too fast for my normal ristretto. Tasted rubbish. Next cup I dropped the grinder setting two notches but that was nowhere near enough, still only 7.7 and still tasted rubbish.

So this confirmed to me that roasted coffee should be aged for a few days to a couple weeks, then quality heads for the basement, by the time two months is up you might as well buy supermarket coffee. And aging radically affects grind setting.

One thing that struck me: I still got a blueberry hit even with a well below average cuppa.

Comment

Originally posted by simonsk8r View Post
                  Ohhhhhh thanks for the reminder, totally gonna try an iced latte tomorrow (gonna be a scorcher tomorrow)...)
                  And I remember now that I never had that iced latte..... :-O

Comment

Working...
                  X