Costa Rica Miel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Costa Rica Miel

Drinking a filter roast of this one right now! Used a hand grinder and a Kalita 'kantan drip' filter - a piece of folded card and filter paper that sits on top of your cup. Works a treat

Back to the coffee though... It's clean, sweet and super-refreshing. Maple syrup sweetness, some stone-fruit fleshiness and a zesty nudge of lime acidity to give it great balance as a filter brew

Winner!

(It also plays nice 50/50 with the Sidamo Ardi as a sweet aromatic milk coffee. E.g. in a latte the blend has a blueberry cheesecake character with a subtle twang of citrus acidity to balance the high sweetness)
    Last edited by trickydicky2; 28 December 2018, 11:11 AM.

Hoping to get some general guidance with roasting these, as I can't seem to find them discussed here or elsewhere.

I've done a few batches that i'd say are medium-dark and at 5 - 10 days rest i'm experiencing a pretty bad dry after taste.

Comment

Very interesting, my memories of this bean are very different. They were very forgiving and no matter how I roasted them, it was hard to get a bad roast from them. I found them to be very consistent, very forgiving and very "polite" and always very easy drinking.

However, I bought mine quite a while ago so may have been a different batch/harvest to what you are roasting.

Also, I roast on a Hottop so not sure if that may explain our different experience with this bean which I was very happy with.

Best regards...

Comment

How much should I rest these. I roasted 2 days ago and I would say that I can’t find the sweet flavour. It’s more spicy than sweet to me.

should I put them back on the shelf for a bit longer? Or try a different roast depth?

Comment

Most beans need to rest for 5-10 days before their flavor starts to peak.

Java "Let 'em sit some more" phile
          Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

I’ve been struggling with this one a bit. As a lighter roast it seems to disappear in a milk drink. A darker roast seems to be the winner so far.
            I’ve also noticed it roasts way faster than any other bean I’ve roasted.

Comment

One of my absolute favourite beans. Medium roast, longer rest than usual circa 6 days.... So good!

Comment

Have really been trying to get something special from this bean and finally succeeded. I'm quite impressed with a medium roast for espresso and the longer resting time. This one really benefits from a bloom pre-infusion (bloom time 10 seconds) and a 1:2 brew ratio, at least in my exprience. Creates something really interesting in the cup. Sweetness and acidity is akin to ripe grapefruit, and despite that there is a really thick, viscous body - even with the longer ratio. It's like a good Colombian and Indo bean had a baby!

Comment

• Westy5
                  Westy5 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  How long did you rest this batch for. I normally crack open a bag 4-7 days after roasting and think I might be jumping the gun a bit.

• ElShauno
                  ElShauno commented
                  Editing a comment
                  6 days. However, my 6 days might not translate to your six days though - I'm using a (so called) 'ready to drink' profile on the Kaffelogic. I find 24-36 hours is ideal resting for those roasts with most beans, so this required some time at 6 days. If it was a standard profile, I'd suggest waiting minimum 10 days and trying from there. I'm going to try this on the weekend - will roast up about 300-400gms and let it sit.

I think I finally got the hang of this bean. I slowed my roast down and kept the heat gun at around 50% and roasted them in 15m. I let them rest for seven days and will probably finish them around day 12.
                I found it was a pretty mild coffee with a honey sweetness to it.

Comment

I roasted 750 grams of Costa Rica Miel a few days ago, tried it today as a Lungo, certainly is a keeper, as Andy comments in the description, fruity and sweet.

Fortunately I had the foresight to order 5kg.

Never have a problem with any beans I buy from Beanbay, however this one really is something out of the box.?

Comment

• Whorl
                    Whorl commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It sounds great, and I'm really looking forward to roasting this one on the weekend too!
                Working...
                X