Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sib View Post
    Hello, new member here!
    Is there any way of getting bean bay beans sent to Japan?
    You can buy Yemeni coffee in Japan. Google Mocha Coffee .

Comment

Originally posted by Javaphile View Post
      Sorry Sib but due to the complexities of import laws around the world and the high postal cost international shipping is not available on BeanBay beans.
      Ah, that's a pity - thanks for letting me know!

Originally posted by flynnaus View Post
      You can buy Yemeni coffee in Japan. Google Mocha Coffee .
      Yes - I have some Yemeni Mocha in my freezer!
      But, the comments earlier in this thread make me want to try this particular batch.

Comment

Possibly the best brew I have ever made myself was a Yemen made in an Aeropress. I didn't use any special recipe just the inverted method. It was a few years ago so not the 2019 crop. The beans were roasted to about the end of first crack .
        What has been the problem with the Yemen brews you have made?
        Hi flynnaus! I bought these already roasted from BeanBay - roast date around 2 weeks ago. I've been using it inverted method, tried between 1:30 - 2:00 brew times already, and it's coming out overextracted.
        I've been trying traditional method, have reduced the water temp as well, and around 1:30 brew time - now it's slightly weaker than I'd like and not as full flavoured.
        Just trying to find the sweet spot!

Comment

Originally posted by melon View Post
          Hi flynnaus! I bought these already roasted from BeanBay - roast date around 2 weeks ago. I've been using it inverted method, tried between 1:30 - 2:00 brew times already, and it's coming out overextracted.
          I've been trying traditional method, have reduced the water temp as well, and around 1:30 brew time - now it's slightly weaker than I'd like and not as full flavoured.
          Just trying to find the sweet spot!
          Yeah, a lot of my Yemen brews (Aeropress and syphon) have come out a bit under-extracted. Somehow planets aligned to produce that one special cup.

My usual Ap recipe goes something like this:
          I grind fairly finely with a Zassenhaus Turkish hand grinder.
          I use a variable boil kettle to heat the water to 85 degrees.
          I don't weigh my beans and stick by the standard one Aeropress scoop per cup .
          I add some water to the ground coffee and allow it to bloom for about 10 seconds before filling to just under the 2 cup marker (Ap is inverted).
          Stir 10 times.
          Screw on filter holder then gently press down until the first few drops of coffee can be seen emerging from filter holder.
          Turn right way up and place Ap on the cup then plunge taking about 17 seconds.

So somewhere amongst those numbers was my winning formula. I was using a Terra Keramik cup that day but I don't think aesthetics influenced the final result.
          However, Yemen espresso brews have nearly always been great so I haven't bothered that much. Yemen is a relatively expensive bean to waste too much on trial and error.

Comment

Yeah, a lot of my Yemen brews (Aeropress and syphon) have come out a bit under-extracted. Somehow planets aligned to produce that one special cup.

My usual Ap recipe goes something like this:
            I grind fairly finely with a Zassenhaus Turkish hand grinder.
            I use a variable boil kettle to heat the water to 85 degrees.
            I don't weigh my beans and stick by the standard one Aeropress scoop per cup .
            I add some water to the ground coffee and allow it to bloom for about 10 seconds before filling to just under the 2 cup marker (Ap is inverted).
            Stir 10 times.
            Screw on filter holder then gently press down until the first few drops of coffee can be seen emerging from filter holder.
            Turn right way up and place Ap on the cup then plunge taking about 17 seconds.

So somewhere amongst those numbers was my winning formula. I was using a Terra Keramik cup that day but I don't think aesthetics influenced the final result.
            However, Yemen espresso brews have nearly always been great so I haven't bothered that much. Yemen is a relatively expensive bean to waste too much on trial and error.
            Thank you! I gave this a try this morning and this is very very close. Certainly no bitterness but I might need to brew a tad longer to bring out more flavour.

Comment

Originally posted by melon View Post
              Certainly no bitterness but I might need to brew a tad longer to bring out more flavour.
              Or perhaps, grind just a little finer...

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimal View Post
                Or perhaps, grind just a little finer...

Mal.
                Will report back!

Comment

Hi haven't posted much but thought my tasting of this bean might be of interest. I recently returned from a 6 week trip to South Australia taking my aeropress and 6 bags of home roasted coffee. Two were the Yemen which I saved till last and didn't finish until this morning about 7 weeks post roast. I have to say after not being very impressed by the bean when drinking from two weeks post roast I am now very impressed. I drink mostly 18gram flat whites and this was one of the richest cocoa flavored coffees I've had. It is rich complex and has length. From here in I'll be resting this bean for a month minimum. Thanks Andy!

Comment

I think I'm nearing 5 weeks post-roast now and trying to get through the beans quickly. Chucked 80gm into my cold brewer to see how it'd go. Turns out it's still very very delicious! I did notice it was at its best around 3-4 weeks.

Comment

• I messed up a roast, damn Behmoor, but decided to restart it and keep going. Just opened the bag, you cant kill this bean, its still awesome

Going to miss this one when I run out

Attached Files

Comment

• I just can't get enough of this wonderful coffee taste,may need to be referred to a clinic to combat this addiction...

Definitely not sharing ��.
                        Last edited by Frank63; 22nd February 2020, 12:49 AM.

Comment

• Sadly it's all gone but we'll get more Yemen one day.

Enjoy what you have and selfishly don't share it

Comment

• I am in the fortunate position of still having some of the Yemen in my stash, unroasted. I have a question which I would love to have answered. I use an Elektra Micro Casa de Leva machine. My normal method is to use around 13g (I say around because I am using the shot timer on a Eureka Silenzio), tamp quite hard, pull the lever down and wait for the first few drops to come through before allowing the spring to do its thing. This method works well and usually produces consistently good results in the cup (usually piccolo latte for me). Usually the infusion time until the first drops come through is somewhere in the region of 18-25 seconds. (As an aside, I guess this infusion time is why you can produce a good extraction with less coffee than in a standard pump espresso machine.)

With the Yemen this is completely different. I can wait 40 seconds or more and nothing comes through. I have never been game to wait much longer, maybe 45 seconds is the longest. This produces a very dark, powerful extraction with a lot of complexity, although the bitterness is towards the high end of what I can tolerate.

My question is why does the Yemen behave like this in the basket? Is it something to do with bean density? I'm happy to play around with infusion time to find what I like best, but I would like to know what's happening. BTW, I don't recall any similar behaviour when I was using a pump machine (VBM Domobar Junior).

Any comments/suggestions are welcome.

Comment

• Andy
                              Andy commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Grind settings for Yemen beans are never like anything else that goes in your grinder. Typically they are far more dense than anything else you can roast. Worth every bit of effort to get your grind right though.

• flynnaus
                              flynnaus commented
                              Editing a comment
                              It does sound like you are over-extracting and you ought to loosen up your grind a little.

• Thanks Andy. I will experiment.

Comment

• AlexHeyworth
                              AlexHeyworth commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Update: success. I have decided to ration the Yemen even further, so I am only having one of these a day. I use the hand grinder so I don't have to empty out the hopper and change beans, grinder settings etc. Result: Yummy Yemen. Thanks Andy

• Andy
                              Andy commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Gotta love the Yemen when you nail it and give it plenty of rest.
                              Enjoy!
                          Working...
                          X