No announcement yet.

Ethiopia Bensa Sagara

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess if we know the equipment being used, one or more CSers should be able to help a newbie get within a bull's roar of something that will taste reasonable in the cup. That's what I try to do anyway and then Andy's recommendations above will ensure that the newbie roaster can hone in on, what they really love in the cup...

Mal.

Comment

Just sharing my experience in case anyone else is having the same issue...I have been struggling with the Bensa for a while, as I couldn't get a satisfactory roast and didn't get what the raves were about.

My Bensa roasts always had this bready/grainy aroma to it. That is until I finally decided to pick out the pale-looking beans (and some other weird looking beans). What a huge difference! I am not sure why my experience is so different from the others - perhaps I was really unlucky and got a bag with more defects than average (?), but mine was definitely not enjoyable until I started doing this.

Give this a try if you're experiencing the same: pick out the pale/defect beans after roasting and set them aside. Then try smelling/brewing the sorted beans and the culled pale-beans side by side. For me, the aromas are day-and-night and they smell like two completely different beans (the pale beans smell really really really bready/grainy). I went a bit overboard and checked them bean-by-bean, and picked out about 10% (way overkill I know, if in doubt, cull!). But the result was well worth it. The grainy aroma is no longer there to overwhelm the fruitiness in the coffee. I can see why this was a winner!

Comment

Working...
      X