Ethiopia Shakisso Estate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethiopia Shakisso Estate

This arrived last week and I couldn't wait to get my hands on it and roast it.

I did two 350g roasts on the Aillio Bullet. The first I took to the start of second crack (as I do for all new beans to get a benchmark), so it was a little darker to this one. See the attached image for milestones for the one being cupped, end milestones are on the right.

For us coffee nerds, the dose for what I cupped was 19.6g in, 29.6g out for a brew ratio of 1:1.5, ~30s pour. Izzo Alex Leva brew temp 118c, 6s preinfusion.

In the cup its delicious. Roasted for espresso it has 30% development, its sweet, fruity, dry in the finish, medium body and reminds me of citrus fruits, limes in particular.

Gonna be a great Festivus with this bean around.

Happy roasting and brewing all
    JB.
    Attached Files

I don't home roast, so i get my supply brown from andy.

Just recently cracked the bag open; so far i've toyed with brew ratios around 2-2.2; did not like it at all (as espresso, it's decent with milk); Decided to give a ristretto a shot, at brew ratio 1.2, and to my surprise it was really good, notes were pretty much as you described except the body was heavy (which i like very much.....)

Going to give a 1.5 ratio a try tomorrow.

Thanks!

Comment

Aillio Bullet? are they in AU?

Comment

Originally posted by DamianB View Post
        Aillio Bullet? are they in AU?
        Yes- there are a few V1 (uncertified self-import) and also a few V2 as well. I have a V2 I am playing with.

Site sponsor ECA is thinking ETA Feb 2020 on Aus Spec. Discussion is probably best in this thread though.

Comment

got a bag from Andy already brown. I enjoyed it every style. now one of my favourite single origins. its fruit complexity without the bitterness. over ice. as an espresso. as a latte or even iced latte. however I drank it it was beautiful

Comment

Ordered roasted from the bay and had my first cup this morning.

This is the most delicious roast I think i've ever tried.

And I came to this thread to ask why, what makes this so good?

Comment

Originally posted by stralto View Post
              And I came to this thread to ask why, what makes this so good?
              The excellent job of the coffee roaster maybe?
              (maybe the barista helped too)

It's a stunning bean. Part of it's charm is the old varietal, original coffee plants that are found in Ethiopia and partly the fermentation process that leaves the coffee fruit (cherry) in contact with the bean for longer in the processing.

You would have found the Harrar similar but not as BIG as this.

Enjoy!

Comment

Yeh, I'm really enjoying this bean both as an espresso and flat white (which is good, as I seem to have purchased 7.5kg of it). My next experiment is a 50/50 blend of the Shakiso and Ethiopia Bensa thingy from late last year (another of my favourite beans).

Comment

It's a gorgeous coffee alright. For me, just a smidgen behind the last shipment of Yemen Ismaili that Andy managed to ship in.
                  Very close call though...

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
                    Yeh, I'm really enjoying this bean both as an espresso and flat white (which is good, as I seem to have purchased 7.5kg of it). My next experiment is a 50/50 blend of the Shakiso and Ethiopia Bensa thingy from late last year (another of my favourite beans).
                    I was about to crack open my bag of Sharkisso but got distracted by another Ethiopian called Ardi. It still lead to a sensational result in the cup and if the Sharkisso is better than that, I expect I will be on the next step to coffee nirvana.

The good news is that we can help you with that inadvertent over order of Sharkisso. Let us know if it becomes too much of a burden.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post

You would have found the Harrar similar but not as BIG as this.

Enjoy!
                      Unfortunately i could never seem to dial the Harrar in well enough.I think i got only 1 decent shot out of it.

Comment

• Andy
                        Andy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That's the gotcha with most Ethiopian beans, they are amazing when the variables are right and dis-interesting when not. It can be tricky to get them right and it's hard to tell someone the reason they don't like a coffee is their settings are wrong. We drink a lot of the Harrar as filter at home, love it and the grinder is nearly always set to suit. If we toss something else in the grinder it's a chore to get it dialled-in for another origin but often close for another funky Ethiopian.

• mthomas87
                        mthomas87 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I haven't been able to make a bad roast of the Shakisso but I also haven't been able to make a good roast of the Harrar Both smell pretty similar when going through the grinder but I end up with more of a spicy, vegetal taste with the Harrar.
                        The Shakisso is making it hard to decide to roast up a batch of anything else...

I have been trying some of the Sharkisso in my commercial blend, and obviously sneaking some aside as a SO! Its very smooth and well developed with lovely mouth feel, but I tried it in a blind tasting with the African I was using in the blend, the Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Special Prep and I couldn't pick between them. Not really that surprising, but it shows what good value the Yirga is.

Comment

Working...
                      X