Ethiopia Shakisso Estate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am loving this bean.
    It is probably my favourite of the BB selections that I have tried.
    I’m currently drinking a 14 day post-roast as an Americano.
    I have roasted it in the KL Nano with a Ninja Turtle profile @ 2.8 giving a CS7-8.

Comment

I'd like to get thoughts from fellow roasters of this bean.

I found it extremely difficult to get an even roast for this bean. Around 10% acted like quakers. I don't know why. I roast on a corretto setup and I've not had this happen with any other CS bean.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? I'm not questioning the quality of the bean, because others have had such a great experience with it. I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong, I did try a number of different roast parameters without much success.

Comment

What size are your roast batches? This can influence outcomes...

Mal.

Comment

• crazyhakins
          crazyhakins commented
          Editing a comment
          500-600gms, which is my usual roast batch size.

Don’t stress it, I get an uneven looking roast from this on my Nano7 but the coffee is still fantastic. Click image for larger version

Name:	A14A68DE-2788-4573-A98E-5E5EA5EE4F66.jpeg
Views:	181
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	872306

Comment

I echo amberale here, been roasting it on the Behmor and it comes out uneven and splotchy. Results in the cup are superb round day 10+.

I roasted this one on the 18th June to CS8/9 and drinking as a V60 pour over. Delicious!

Comment

Generally roast batches of 750g for this one (Corretto 'Big Loaf') and the results are never particularly "blotchy" (Link below).
            Batches are taken to between 215-220C depending on the brew method we're planning to use and the results are always superb...

The guys above are correct though, don't get too hung up on the finished appearance, so long as the results in the cup are great, that's all that matters in the end. This is a wonderful bean alright and one of our favourites.

Mal.

https://coffeesnobs.com.au/filedata/fetch?id=831561

Comment

• Grumpybarista
              Grumpybarista commented
              Editing a comment
              Certainty an even roast there Mal! ?

Originally posted by Dimal View Post
            Generally roast batches of 750g for this one (Corretto 'Big Loaf') and the results are never particularly "blotchy"
            When did you purchased your Shakisso? I purchased 2 bags early last year and 3 bags late last year/earlier this year. I did noticed a difference between the 2 crops. The ones I purchased last year roasted quite evenly. The ones I purchased later was "blotchy". I was wondering if the most recent crop is natural processed vs washed from last year.

Comment

• crazyhakins
              crazyhakins commented
              Editing a comment
              I bought from the roast recent batch, I missed out on the first one so I have nothing to compare it to. Of course, each harvest will be different, just like wine is different from vintage to vintage depending on seasonal factors.

• Dimal
              Dimal commented
              Editing a comment
              Same lots that you bought 'lc'

This is my favourite drinking bean. It definitely has a patchy appearance but always drinks beautifully, I do 400g batches in the behmor so roast depths vary a bit but its always sensational. I would be keen to get feedback from others on similar beans as I really struggle when I can’t get shakisso…like now ?

Comment

• Dimal
              Dimal commented
              Editing a comment
              You could try the "Harrar Longberry" for some really interesting and delectable results in the cup or perhaps the "Guji Wamena Gr.1" for the red berry goodness and huge body that this one produces. Any of the current Ethiopian beans in BeanBay are great in the cup and worth trying...

• Lyrebird
              Lyrebird commented
              Editing a comment
              Second the Guji. Lovely coffee. Very easy to roast.

I managed to make some really bad coffee from Shakisso a couple of months back. I have to roast on battery power on the laptop due to the general flakiness of my Heatsnob. This particular roast the battery ran out of ergs half way through so I eyeballed the drop time and went too early, about a quarter of the roast was very pale.

I hate "third wave" coffee so I picked out all the pale beans one by one. Yes, that took a long time.

Not to waste all that effort I thought "I wonder what happens if you re-roast underdone beans?" Well now I know and I know why no-one recommends this. It smelt like stale instant coffee and tasted worse.

Comment

Working...
            X