Australia Chesterton A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australia Chesterton A

I roasted this one on June 25 and opened it yesterday (8 days post-roast).
    My first brew was a flat white and I was amazed at the sweetness. Then there were several other flavours that surfaced briefly only to slip away before I could describe ithem.My overall impression was nice and different in a good way. Looking forward to seeing how it develops. My palate finds that most beans reach their peak 12 days after roasting.

Later I tried it as a piccolo latte - well, almost a macchiato. I found it mildly but pleasantly acidic and again, no discernible flavours coming forward. That could just be my dulled sense of taste though.
    I tried it again this morning as a latte then a straight espresso. Again, the milk-based brew seemed to be more enjoyable but the espresso was still enjoyable: mild and sweet with no prominent notes emerging for me. I didn't pick up any of the 'funkiness' that Andy mentioned in the cup although the aroma was present after I roasted and again when I opened the bag. It is also notable that the roast aroma stuck around for most of the day

Roast profile below: batch size of 430 grams, no preheating of the KKTO, 6 mins of drying phase, first crack somewhere before 200 degrees and stopped at 218 degrees (not the 221 the profile graph indicates) My KKTO typically only does gentle ramps, it works for me.

Another CSer mentioned they had difficulty getting a good pour from this bean using their equipment. I found no such problems. I instinctively tightened the grind a couple of turns on my Macap MXK before grinding and every pour I've done so far has been good, even when I underdosed the espresso shot. I used a naked portafilter for the espresso shot and showed everything was in order.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200625-AusChesterton_430g.jpg Views:	0 Size:	134.2 KB ID:	833425

Would I recommend this bean? Well yes in that it seems different to any other bean I've tried. Certainly different to the Aussie MTE beans we've had in the past. I hope other CSers give this bean a go and report back on their observations.

An interesting result Steve...

From looking at your roast profile and description of results in the cup, it looks/sounds as though a faster profile may result in more pronounced and identifiable intrinsic flavours. As you say though, you prefer gentler profiles and the results produced; given that is the normal operation of your setup, it may not favour trying to accelerate the profile to any great degree. It would be worth trying though if you can push it a bit.

Mal.

Comment

Thanks Mal
      I suspect the inability to detect flavours adequately is more about my stunted sense of taste and smell. I have been happy with the results i've been getting over the last 10 years but I've been mostly roasting hard beans such as Ethiopian SOS and blends. As I've said before, it might be time to dust off my corretto to seek faster roast times. Or I could try a smaller batch size to speed up the roast.

Comment

• Dimal
        Dimal commented
        Editing a comment
        A smaller batch might be worth a go, so you could stick with the KKTO.
        What's the smallest batch you have tried successfully so far?

• flynnaus
        flynnaus commented
        Editing a comment
        The smallest batch I've ever done is 350g but that was a bit too small. I'll try 400g next time.

Well Day 10 and it has opened up a bit more with some pronounced flavours coming through. The trouble is, I still can't describe those flavours. I sipped the shot before adding milk and again there was the sweetness with a hint of toffee. But the flat white I made was enjoyable, with a nice lingering aftertaste...which I can't describe. There was a little of the funkiness Andy mentioned which wasn't unpleasant. Strangely, I keep getting a hint of tobacco.

Comment

• flynnaus
        flynnaus commented
        Editing a comment
        Update: Just made myself an espresso  just now from a shot that was updosed. There was 12 seconds of preinfusion rather than the usual 8s. This resulted in a surprisingly smooth shot, very little acidity and this time , a pronounced almond flavour but, again with that hint of tobacco.
        Yep, thumbs up for this bean. Give it a try!

Had my first go at this one today. We'll see how it develops.
      Looks OK.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	20200705_145221.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	646.9 KB
ID:	833546

Comment

I have to say, this was not my favourite bean. I rate it as way better than a Robusta but that's a low bar. I never managed to finish a cup of pure Robusta, but I managed several cups of this. I got what Andy called 'funky' but I would have said closer to 'manky'. Huge amounts of parchment and 'shells'. Some of the shells seemed to show evidence of insect poo which might explain things a bit. Do they have an emerging coffee borer bean problem?

I've served it up to several other people and they seemed to like it, so I'm guessing it's just me. But I'm not likely to roast more than the 2x300g I've done of this. I'm not even likely to finish the 300g batch I did for myself. It cost a bit more than say Bensa Sagara, but it's about 10% as good IMO. No comparison at all to the Mountain Top stuff I had a couple years back.

Comment

I am with TheOneTruePath. Not a fan. As soon as I saw in the BeanBay I ordered (because of the memories of the old Mountain Top - which sadly I only got to order once before it became unavailable). I roasted as soon as it arrived, but I did have patience to wait at least 7 days after roasting.

If I was to be kind I would say that, to me, the flavour is really 'flat' or bland. If I was to be less kind I would say not only was it grown near Tinaroo Dam, but it the cup it also tastes like Tinaroo dam... but maybe that's just me.

Anyway, I was disappointed, but no regrets. That's the fun of home roasting and trying stuff. You find things you like and things you don't.

Comment

• flynnaus
            flynnaus commented
            Editing a comment
            Giving up so quickly? My initial taste of the Aussie Chesterton was a bit underwhelming but, as per my post #4 in this topic, your roast may improve after a longer rest. Don't give up on it.
            Also, try a different roast profile eg slower, more gentle or try a blend of a dark Chesterton with a light Chesterton roast.

• UCC
            UCC commented
            Editing a comment
            I have tried it after a longer rest... maybe it was marginally better... maybe. I then tried it as a cold drip... I don't want to come across as being overly harsh, so lets just say I wont do that again.

What is the saying? Life is too short for bad coffee. Perhaps with lots of work I could make this bean better then my first taste... but I don't see the point, there is nothing in the flavour of that bean that gives me hope that this will become a winning bean - certainly not at that price, and not when there are sooo many others things on BeanBay that I do like.

I will still roast what I have left (and give most of it to others to try), and I will try different things with it, but I will not be re-ordering.

You win some, you lose some. For me this was one in the 'loss' column. But it is still fun playing the game!

Just in case anyone is offended by what I have said - don't be. I love trying stuff. I love that Andy gets all sorts of beans for us to experiment with. So I don't want to seem ungrateful. I just don't like this bean. Perhaps others might.

I opened my second roast of Aussie Chesterton yesterday. Roasted on Feb 14 using my corretto instead of my old KKTO, the faster roast time (15mins instead of 20) made a big difference.
          Still a very sweet bean with somewhat indistinct flavours but I'll see how if develops over the next few days.
          Very little sign of the funkiness perhaps suggesting it benefits from a bit of aging on the shelf?

I see Andy has Aussie Chesterton Peaberry in Beanbay now. . Anyone tried them
          . Click image for larger version

Name:	20210214-Aussie_500g.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	858226

Comment

Originally posted by flynnaus View Post
            the faster roast time (15mins instead of 20) made a big difference.
            Hey flynnaus, can you describe the difference in the cup you found between the 15min batch and typical 20min roasts?
            cheers

Comment

Originally posted by barlo View Post
              Hey flynnaus, can you describe the difference in the cup you found between the 15min batch and typical 20min roasts?
              cheers
              Yes, there isn't much difference. For both, the Aussie displayed indistinct flavours that someone with a better palate than I might be able to describe. I mentioned previously in this thread the hint of almond. It was there again at Day 12 of this roast but a bit more elusive. In the first few days I picked up a hint of toffee but, again, brief and elusive.

Hmmm...sweet, smooth, low acidity. I suspect that the Aussie Chesterton is akin to Brazilian coffee and I've decided to use it as a blend base. On Friday I roasted 50% Aussie with a 35% Ethiopian Harrar (the last of the bag) and about 15% Indo West Java. We'll see how it goes

Comment

• flynnaus
                flynnaus commented
                Editing a comment
                I should add that since I've switched to using a corretto instead of a KKTO, my roasts are generally more flavoursome and brighter. This includes the Indian Elephant Hills I'm drinking now. A much tastier brew than when I first tried it as a single origin.
                Further, I bought a new grinder (Ceado E37J) in October last year which has also improved the quality of my coffee so its difficult to say how much shorter roast times gave improved results in the cup.
                What a quandary: drinking some of the best coffee I've ever made and not certain why!
            Working...
            X