Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: The Snobs

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4

    The Snobs

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,
    18 months ago a few dedicated coffee roasters/drinkers decided to organise a site for Australian coffee lovers and fortunately I was invited to join. Who would have thought that in that time we would grow to 648 members? Not me for one. I dont have much input into the forums but I do buy coffee on a regular basis and enjoy the posts of others. I enjoy roasting my beans every weekend and love drinking the results. There is a certain pleasure in being able to reap the rewards of roasting ones own beans. I would like to take this opportunity to thank all those who have made this group the success that it has become and to thank those who work behind the scenes and the up-front people who have kept the group going. Yout work is truely appreciated.

    Cheers Biss

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,613

    Re: The Snobs

    Yes, perhaps one of the site administrators would like to give us a potted history of how this site came to be. Im sure many of us would like to know the origins, the concept, the frustrations of its creation.

    Robusto


  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    333

    Re: The Snobs

    Quote Originally Posted by biss link=1133943639/0#0 date=1133943639
    I would like to take this opportunity to thank all those who have made this group the success that it has become and to thank those who work behind the scenes and the up-front people who have kept the group going. Yout work is truely appreciated.

    Cheers Biss
    Hear, Hear!

    Im new to this site but I want to echo Bisss note of thanks and appreciation. This site has made my entry into home roasting both effortless and exciting (also very affordable). I think it fills a niche perfectly and Im looking forward to getting to know this ever-growing community.

    - Rob

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    333

    The whole Gestalt of Coffee Snobs

    Hi. Im curious as to where all this wonderful coffee comes from. Does CoffeeSnobs buy the bags of coffee from importers and green bean wholesalers? Who are they? Who has the connections with them? And who does all the hard yakka buying, collecting, measuring, dividing, packing and posting the beans. Surely not just Andy!

    CoffeeSnobs seems to be set up as a co-op rather than a business venture (I may be mistaken?), which is great! How co-operative is it? In what ways can members participate in the offline action. Perhaps members are required to put in some time doing stuff?

    Im new on the block, just getting my head around it all, trying to form a picture of the great entity that is Coffee Snobs :)

    - Rob

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    309

    Re: The Snobs

    Quote Originally Posted by robusto link=1133943639/0#1 date=1133944494
    Yes, perhaps one of the site administrators would like to give us a potted history of how this site came to be. Im sure many of us would like to know the origins, the concept, the frustrations of its creation.
    It has had dark times that many long terms members may prefer to forget.

    Cheers

  6. #6
    Senior Member fatboy_1999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,121

    Re: The whole Gestalt of Coffee Snobs

    Behmor Brazen - $249 - Free Freight
    Quote Originally Posted by Robster link=1133943639/0#3 date=1134135046
    Hi. Im curious as to where all this wonderful coffee comes from. Does CoffeeSnobs buy the bags of coffee from importers and green bean wholesalers? Who are they? Who has the connections with them? And who does all the hard yakka buying, collecting, measuring, dividing, packing and posting the beans. Surely not just Andy!
    Rob - Let me stress that Im nothing to do with the Admin of the site. This is just my personal understanding of where the coffee comes from.

    I believe that most of it comes via the importers H A Bennet and Sons.
    Andy has a relationship with them that allows access to many of the varieties they bring in.

    I also think that Andy does the bulk of the work with buying etc. but I know he has some good friends (and fellow snobs) who live nearby, so I would not be surprised if they helped out.

    As for the other parts of the question, theres probably a book in it, so Ill leave that for someone else to tackle if they feel up to it.

    Brett.



Similar Threads

  1. Thanks be to all ye snobs
    By Coffee_n_Geetars in forum Brewing Equipment (non-machine specific)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 25th August 2010, 06:54 PM
  2. New to snobs.
    By seabass in forum Brewing Equipment - Pointy End ($1500-$3000)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15th December 2008, 12:09 AM
  3. [m]: New to snobs.
    By Dimal in forum General Coffee Related...
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 14th December 2008, 02:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •