Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Syphon/Siphon.

  1. #1
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,866

    Syphon/Siphon.

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Dug out my Bodum Santos last night after quite a few year in the back of the cupboard.
    Ground some Sumatra Panjang Mandheling a bot 5 clicks on the Rocky courser than espresso, 500 ml of water 3 heaped tablespoons of coffee, placed over a very low gas flame and allowed the water to rise to the top chamber, left on the flame for a further 2 mins took it of the heat and let it do its thing.
    The result, certainly not to my taste, sure the resulting coffee was clean, it was also watery and lacking in character, very much like the kind of coffee I have experienced in the US, and that aint sayin much.
    So unless anyone can point out the error in my method I suspect this is one piece of coffee equipment destined to spend the rest of its life in the back of a cupboard. :(

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    169

    Re: Syphon/Siphon.

    Hi Jon,

    That all sounds correct.

    Perhaps try stirring the grounds once its a bit wet (still some water in the bowl).

    2mins brew is also about right and the only other thing, the amount of coffee grounds, also seems on the money (a tblspn per cup). You could go to 4 scoops for 500ml (some merit in a scoop for the pot).

    If you decide to send it back to its dark home at the back of your cupboard, I know where it could get a more useful life...

  3. #3
    Senior Member redzone121's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,162

    Re: Syphon/Siphon.

    Hey Jon W
    I am not familiar with the Bodum but here is a couple of thoughts.
    Dont know if you are keen on scales but I always measure by weight for syphon. I am usually in the ball park of 7-8gms per 100mls but it depends on the coffee I am using at the time and also personal preference in taste strength. I go to 75 seconds brew time in top chamber for 500ml and just 60 seconds for 300ml.
    Of course IMO its almost a tea like experience (in a good way) I like to think a good SO roasted for syphon will give plenty of character but not too much in body, but thats just my interpretation.

    Chris

  4. #4
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,866

    Re: Syphon/Siphon.

    Quote Originally Posted by 7C65746E7C1D0 link=1260775585/1#1 date=1260778920
    Perhaps try stirring the grounds once
    Yep did that
    Quote Originally Posted by 7C65746E7C1D0 link=1260775585/1#1 date=1260778920
    2mins brew is also about right and the only other thing, the amount of coffee grounds, also seems on the money (a tblspn per cup). You could go to 4 scoops for 500ml (some merit in a scoop for the pot)
    Will give that a try before I give up.
    Quote Originally Posted by 7C65746E7C1D0 link=1260775585/1#1 date=1260778920
    If you decide to send it back to its dark home at the back of your cupboard, I know where it could get a more useful life...
    I may well list it for sale on this site, keep watching. :)

  5. #5
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,866

    Re: Syphon/Siphon.

    Quote Originally Posted by 7D6A6B7560616A3E3D3E0F0 link=1260775585/2#2 date=1260781141
    I am not familiar with the Bodum but here is a couple of thoughts.
    Dont know if you are keen on scales but I always measure by weight for syphon. I am usually in the ball park of 7-8gms per 100mls but it depends on the coffee I am using at the time and also personal preference in taste strength. I go to 75 seconds brew time in top chamber for 500ml and just 60 seconds for 300ml.
    More grist for the mill, Id hate to sell the thing and find Id missed something vital.
    Quote Originally Posted by 7D6A6B7560616A3E3D3E0F0 link=1260775585/2#2 date=1260781141
    Of course IMO its almost a tea like experience (in a good way) I like to think a good SO roasted for syphon will give plenty of character but not too much in body, but thats just my interpretation.
    And that may well be the rub, I like me coffee like me wimen, bit of substance to em, none of these skinny Minnies for me. ;)

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,946

    Re: Syphon/Siphon.

    Hi Jon,

    The mouthfeel and body that you get from a siphon is closer to a tea than to a long black. If your preference is for big body, siphon might not be your thing.

    The general rule for brewed coffee is to go for about 60 grams of coffee per litre at a grind setting that extracts as much as possible before overextracting (most systems seem to agree that you shouldnt extract more than about 21.5% of the weight of the coffee, if that interests you). If you like heavier body, you can use more ground coffee.

    People that like siphon coffee tend to go for light roasts; in fact, its pretty hard to go too light! They also tend to go for coffees that have a fair bit of aroma, acidity, sweetness and cleanliness. I havent tried the sumatran coffee that youre using, but if youll indulge me in generalising for a second, a sumatran coffee that is roasted appropriately for espresso is likely to be about the worst thing that you could run through a siphon, short of a monsooned coffee or a robusta. Id be expecting some rubber and forest floor funk. If body is what you are after, a better bet might be something like a pulped natural brazilian coffee. That said, despite the waxing lyrical that often seems to accompany peoples descriptions of siphon coffee, siphons are not all things to all people and they are not the brewing method to choose if you want big body and low acid. If thats what you are after, you will probably get more enjoyment from a well made long black or moka pot coffee.

    Cheers,
    Luca

  7. #7
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,866

    Re: Syphon/Siphon.

    Quote Originally Posted by 455C4A48290 link=1260775585/5#5 date=1260794153
    If your preference is for big body, siphon might not be your thing.
    I suspect this is the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by 455C4A48290 link=1260775585/5#5 date=1260794153
    People that like siphon coffee tend to go for light roasts
    The reason I pulled it out was that I recently under roasted some Sumatra Panjang Mandheling, I think it was Mal suggested trying a siphon or similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by 455C4A48290 link=1260775585/5#5 date=1260794153
    Id be expecting some rubber and forest floor funk
    Experienced nothing like these flavours, it was clean, delicate and a little earthy, certainly not bold enough to suit my palate.
    Quote Originally Posted by 455C4A48290 link=1260775585/5#5 date=1260794153
    if you want big body and low acid
    Thats exactly what Im looking for in coffee.
    Quote Originally Posted by 455C4A48290 link=1260775585/5#5 date=1260794153
    you will probably get more enjoyment from a well made long black or moka pot coffee.
    I agree.
    Thanks for your thoughts. :)

  8. #8
    Senior Member GregWormald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,286

    Re: Syphon/Siphon.

    Its not a siphon, but I use about 25 gm of beans for about 100-150 ml of coffee out of my Aeropress at work to get a coffee strength rather than a "tea" strength.

    Its better than the leased espresso machine with stale beans, and much better than indistinct coffee, but when Im home its espresso all the way.

    Greg

  9. #9
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,866

    Re: Syphon/Siphon.

    Behmor Brazen - $249 - Free Freight
    Quote Originally Posted by 64514644744C514E424F47230 link=1260775585/7#7 date=1260872195
    Its not a siphon, but I use about 25 gm of beans for about 100-150 ml of coffee out of my Aeropress at work to get a coffee strength rather than a "tea" strength.

    Its better than the leased espresso machine with stale beans, and much better than indistinct coffee, but when Im home its espresso all the way.

    Greg
    Have contemplated buying an Aeropress since our discussion Greg, just not sure, Ive got heaps of unused brewing devices now and fear this will just add to the collection. :-/



Similar Threads

  1. Grinder for siphon, chemex and aeropress
    By cooleagles in forum Grinders
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 18th March 2013, 11:49 PM
  2. Vintage Siphon Part Needed
    By mico in forum Brewing Equipment - Manual Coffee Brewing Processes
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 17th March 2013, 12:31 AM
  3. !!!SOLD!!! - Bodum Santos Siphon
    By Ronin in forum SOLD
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15th November 2011, 06:21 PM
  4. siphon coffee course?
    By peaceofcake in forum General Coffee Related...
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 16th March 2010, 01:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •