Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Flat white in NYC.

  1. #1
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,811

    Flat white in NYC.

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    "In 2010, The New York Times praised the flat white as a "cult drink" but said its popularity was "not likely to (spread) in New York any time soon". Two years later, a handful of new Australian-owned cafes are finding an eager audience, with latte and cappuccino drinkers quickly converting to the flat white. True to the sleepless city spirit, you can now get a flattie 24 hours a day."
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/life/food-wine/bright-lights-flat-whites/story-e6frg8jo-1226358007068
    As an afterthought, tell me why male baristas have a need/desire to wear silly little hats. ::)

  2. #2
    VimFuego
    Guest

    Re: Flat white in NYC.

    Funny you mention the hats. My recent observation to my wife is either a hat (usually a beret) or finger to neck tattoos is a pre-requisite to become a barrister these days. Not saying theres anything wrong with it, just what Ive noticed.
    Having travelled to NYC last year, I can say there is some wonderful coffee shops to be found there (excluding of course the obligatory Starbucks on every corner)

  3. #3
    jbrewster
    Guest

    Re: Flat white in NYC.

    I think a finger to neck tattoo on a Barrister would likely be frowned upon, the legal profession being as conservative as it is* :P

    For Baristas however, I couldnt care less so long as they produce good coffee ;D

  4. #4
    Senior Member trentski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Altona, Melbourne
    Posts
    1,578

    Re: Flat white in NYC.

    cant remember the last time I saw a barista with a hat :-?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sydney, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    218

    Re: Flat white in NYC.

    The one thing that irked me about living in NYC was that I didnt understand how they could make coffees without real milk.

    Maybe you can make "coffees" with half and half but its still not real milk. :P

  6. #6
    Super Moderator Javaphile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Earth!
    Posts
    15,454

    Re: Flat white in NYC.

    Quote Originally Posted by 3E3B3E3F373A520 link=1337411775/4#4 date=1338351448
    Maybe you can make "coffees" with half and half but its still not real milk.
    In the US Half & Half is typically only used in brewed coffee. Ive never seen any cafe that uses it for espresso based drinks. For that it would be one of the regular milks. ie Whole, 2%, 1% or Skim.


    Java "Got Milk?" phile

  7. #7
    Senior Member bennett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    294

    Re: Flat white in NYC.

    I have heaps of relatives in the US and whenever they mentioned half and half I always assumed it was 2%milk or our equivalent of lite white. Ive just googled it after reading Javas post. Its actually half cream half milk!! The things you learn from coffeesnobs. ;D

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sydney, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    218

    Re: Flat white in NYC.

    Quote Originally Posted by 68435443524A4B4E47220 link=1337411775/5#5 date=1338363226
    Quote Originally Posted by 3E3B3E3F373A520 link=1337411775/4#4 date=1338351448
    Maybe you can make "coffees" with half and half but its still not real milk.
    In the US Half & Half is typically only used in brewed coffee. Ive never seen any cafe that uses it for espresso based drinks. For that it would be one of the regular milks. ie Whole, 2%, 1% or Skim.
    I was only on ManHateEm for a month (and nowhere else) and I am quite sure every cafe there served half and half only. :(

  9. #9
    Super Moderator Javaphile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Earth!
    Posts
    15,454

    Re: Flat white in NYC.

    Quote Originally Posted by 474247464E432B0 link=1337411775/7#7 date=1338452740
    I was only on ManHateEm for a month (and nowhere else) and I am quite sure every cafe there served half and half only.
    Is that based on seeing a pitcher/thermos on the service counter alongside the napkins, sugar, and stirring sticks labeled half & half? That is there for those who want cream in their coffee. Just because there was half & half out on the counter doesnt mean that was what was used in the espresso based drinks. Some cafes are now including various milks and milk alternatives on the counter as well.

    Did you perhaps order a latte with full cream? In the US cream for your coffee is understood to mean half & half. If you ordered a latte/cappuccino/flat white/macchiato with full cream you would be served a drink made with half & half, not whole milk.


    Java "Thats a lotta fat!" phile

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sydney, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    218

    Re: Flat white in NYC.

    Quote Originally Posted by 765D4A5D4C545550593C0 link=1337411775/8#8 date=1338460239
    Did you perhaps order a latte with full cream? In the US cream for your coffee is understood to mean half & half. If you ordered a latte/cappuccino/flat white/macchiato with full cream you would be served a drink made with half & half, not whole milk.
    Hmm I didnt really specify but I remember once when I was asked "thats half and half?" and I asked if theres anything else and they pretty much said no. Maybe it was just my luck.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Rocky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Central Queensland
    Posts
    1,085

    Re: Flat white in NYC.

    So let me see if I have got this right. There is a suggestion that in NYC the milk they use for milk-based coffees is actually half milk and half cream.
    How does that steam? Like normal milk? Anyone tried this?

  12. #12
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,811

    Re: Flat white in NYC.

    Behmor Brazen - $249 - Free Freight
    Quote Originally Posted by 4578747C6E170 link=1337411775/10#10 date=1338768133
    So let me see if I have got this right.* There is a suggestion that in NYC the milk they use for milk-based coffees is actually half milk and half cream.
    How does that steam? Like normal milk? Anyone tried this?
    Morning Rocky, yep sure have, Im a cream lover so shortly after buying Silvia many moons ago thought I would try adding some cream to the milk before steaming, never again, it turned into a horrible curdled mess. :P ::)



Similar Threads

  1. When is a flat white not a flat white?
    By TK421 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 22nd September 2008, 03:48 PM
  2. flat white egg nog
    By thegoodies in forum General Coffee Related...
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 17th December 2007, 10:03 PM
  3. Flat white?
    By victor in forum Milk Froth and Bubbles
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 28th November 2006, 02:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •