Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Exploding Duralex!

  1. #1
    joe
    joe is offline
    Senior Member joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    241

    Exploding Duralex!

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    What I thought was an odd thing happened here tonight. My wife was putting a Duralex glass in the dishwasher, and as she put it in, she barely touched the side of another glass. The Duralex shattered in her hand!
    I did a Google search and it turns out that Duralexes can just shatter... :o

    Even more reason to have coffee from an ACF or Nuova Point! * :)

  2. #2
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: Exploding Duralex!

    Quote Originally Posted by joe link=1169208569/0#0 date=1169208569
    What I thought was an odd thing happened here tonight. My wife was putting a Duralex glass in the dishwasher, and as she put it in, she barely touched the side of another glass. The Duralex shattered in her hand!
    I did a Google search and it turns out that Duralexes can just shatter... :o

    Even more reason to have coffee from an ACF or Nuova Point! * :)
    Very common- we had probably 50 do that in our various cafes. BTW I hear that Duralex has gone under....

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    802

    Re: Exploding Duralex!

    Duralex can just do that, with very little pressure. When my son was 3, I had Duralex plates, and was teaching him to put his plate in the sink after eating. One day he missed the bench, the plate hit the lino floor, from a height of maybe 1/2 metre, and shattered into hundreds of tiny pieces. He was physically unhurt, but obviously psychologically scarred. The Duralex dinnerware has long since been replaced. My son is now 15 and Im still trying to get him to put his plates in the sink.....

  4. #4
    Senior Member askthecoffeeguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Preston, victoria, 3072
    Posts
    817

    Re: Exploding Duralex!

    I think that you will find that duralex is designed to shatter upon significant or repeated contact, so as not to produce any nasty shards of glass to prick yourself with - no! no! no!

    I have found that certain designs in the duralex range are more prone to shattering, whilst others stand up to punishment a bit better - and yes, the standard latte glass does tend to break a lot more readily for reasons unknown, which is one of the reasons which I prefer to drink from ceramic!

    P

  5. #5
    joe
    joe is offline
    Senior Member joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    241

    Re: Exploding Duralex!

    Very common- we had probably 50 do that in our various cafes.
    And cafes still use them?? *Theyre game!


  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,673

    Re: Exploding Duralex!

    Quote Originally Posted by Viviane link=1169208569/0#2 date=1169212220
    *My son is now 15 and Im still trying to get him to put his plates in the sink.....

    I somehow dont think it hasa anything to do with the shattered plate incident ::) it may just be a 15yo boy thing ;)

  7. #7
    hazchem
    Guest

    Re: Exploding Duralex!

    Quote Originally Posted by joe link=1169208569/0#4 date=1169214258
    Very common- we had probably 50 do that in our various cafes.
    And cafes still use them?? *Theyre game!
    yeah, i seem to remember it happening in just about every cafe ive worked in. Its not all that dire really, considering the way they break its pretty safe. Unless it happens in a bar near the ice...

  8. #8
    Sleep is overrated Thundergod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    10,496

    Re: Exploding Duralex!

    Quote Originally Posted by lucinda link=1169208569/0#5 date=1169214922
    Quote Originally Posted by Viviane link=1169208569/0#2 date=1169212220
    *My son is now 15 and Im still trying to get him to put his plates in the sink.....

    I somehow dont think it hasa anything to do with the shattered plate incident ::) it may just be a 15yo boy thing ;)
    I have to agree.

    Id say hes an intelligent child.
    Thats obvious because at the age of 3 he instantly recognised the potential to turn the unfortunate accident to his advantage.
    On the other hand, if he did it on purpose, hes not intelligent, hes a genius!

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,946

    Re: Exploding Duralex!

    Quote Originally Posted by joe link=1169208569/0#4 date=1169214258
    Very common- we had probably 50 do that in our various cafes.
    And cafes still use them?? Theyre game!
    Yeah, well, they break in the least harmful way possible and they are as cheap as cheap can be ... which is why I heard that Duralex went under. I cant actually remember any breakages ...

    Still, gimme a nice and small ACF tulip cappuccino any day. Cant wait until theyre back in stock. I think that everyone at work will grab half a dozen for home, the importer will run out again and well have to wait another six months!

    Cheers,

    Luca

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    131

    Re: Exploding Duralex!

    My son is now 15 and Im still trying to get him to put his plates in the sink.....
    My daughter is of much the same age and canít find the dish washer either (come to think of it neither can my wife) so it might just be ďa thingĒ.

    Bruce

  11. #11
    Flo
    Flo is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    330

    Re: Exploding Duralex!

    Quote Originally Posted by luca link=1169208569/0#8 date=1169278530
    Still, gimme a nice and small ACF tulip cappuccino any day. *Cant wait until theyre back in stock. *I think that everyone at work will grab half a dozen for home, the importer will run out again and well have to wait another six months!

    Cheers,

    Luca

    Im going to ask a dumb question.. What is an ACF tulip cappuccino cup? Is ACF the manufacturer? Where can they be sought when in stock? Coffee Parts?

    The other thing...after how much use have the Duralex cups shattered? I use them as my prefered cup for milk based drinks...

  12. #12
    Flo
    Flo is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    330

    Re: Exploding Duralex!

    Quote Originally Posted by Flo link=1169208569/0#11 date=1169302410
    Im going to ask a dumb question.. What is an ACF tulip cappuccino cup? Is ACF the manufacturer?
    Note to self: Before posting "dumb" questions do a Google search *::) :-[

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    160

    Re: Exploding Duralex!

    Behmor Brazen - $249 - Free Freight
    We discovered the exploding duralex in a coffee shop while out one day with our 2 yr old - who ended up sitting in a pile of what was once a latte glass!




Similar Threads

  1. Vale the Duralex Glass (for Caffe Lattes)
    By Metreo in forum General Coffee Related...
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 20th October 2007, 08:32 PM
  2. Duralex glasses - where to buy in Perth?
    By tempestv8 in forum General Coffee Related...
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11th October 2007, 08:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •