Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Long Black?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    37

    Long Black?

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    :-?

    Ok...

    My basic training is from The Coffee Club in Melbourne... So i have been involved with coffee now for around 18 months and love it! We had Coffee Club National itles last year and I came first in VIC and 4th in AUS which was pretty cool! So yes... I love coffee!!!!!

    My Quetion is this though... I did a detox recently and had to go off dairy... so I started to drink more black coffee, now I am back on dairy, I dont really like the taste in the coffee, very fatty and YUCK :P, even skinny milk tastes bad!

    So now, the question, when making a long black, should the hot water go in before or after the espresso?

    Coffe Club Documents say before, but the director says after! Weird Huh!

    I like the look of the crema if it goes in afterwards, but I am concerned that the flavour is all on top of the cup and not throughout the drink...

    Would love to hear your thoughts on this one!

    Steve

    P.S. First Post so be gentle! ;)

  2. #2
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: Long Black?

    Quote Originally Posted by stevenkylie link=1184589054/0#0 date=1184589053
    :-?

    Ok...

    My basic training is from The Coffee Club in Melbourne... So i have been involved with coffee now for around 18 months and love it! We had Coffee Club National itles last year and I came first in VIC and 4th in AUS which was pretty cool! So yes... I love coffee!!!!!

    My Quetion is this though... I did a detox recently and had to go off dairy... so I started to drink more black coffee, now I am back on dairy, I dont really like the taste in the coffee, very fatty and YUCK *:P, even skinny milk tastes bad!

    So now, the question, when making a long black, should the hot water go in before or after the espresso?

    Coffe Club Documents say before, but the director says after! Weird Huh!

    I like the look of the crema if it goes in afterwards, but I am concerned that the flavour is all on top of the cup and not throughout the drink...

    Would love to hear your thoughts on this one!

    Steve

    P.S. First Post so be gentle! ;)
    Hi Steve and welcome...

    CC do have some waaaay bizarre standards....I know- I trained some of them in Melbourne...Stuff like not to touch the grinder (but know how to set it)...Not to free dose...but know how to do it... ::) It seemed all about consistent mediocrity to me :P....Hopefully you ignore a lot of what you were taught....

    Whats with the 70ml double shots etc....So I wouldnt pay too much attention to the grand poobah ;-)

    Water goes first...

    2mcm

  3. #3
    Sleep is overrated Thundergod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    10,496

    Re: Long Black?

    Ill second that.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,334

    Re: Long Black?

    I worked at the Coffee Club and was one of the main baristas who opened the store I was at...no one never told me not to free dose or not to change the grinder.

  5. #5
    Senior Member fatboy_1999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,118

    Re: Long Black?

    Dont use no double negatives.

  6. #6
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: Long Black?

    Hmm....Last time I saw their trainier doing her stuff at the academy, nothing has changed... All just push that button and do what I say...Shots, mls and seconds....Nothing to do with quality or instinct...

    Good thing you had freedom Wushoes. I hope things have/are changing...

    2mcm

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    37

    Re: Long Black?

    OK...

    Today I looked at the manuals again and it DOES state to pour the water into the cup AFTER the shot!

    I sampled both again today and have decided that the coffee tastes much nicer and has a more distinct taste and a less offensive nose when the water is poured FIRST!

    Decided! Water, then Espresso!

    I think the training they offer is aimed at young people after a ob rather than people after a career in coffee/hospitality. If the franchisee is cool, then they encourage you to try new things and adjust this change that... as long as you have the silly 35ml shots... WEIRD I KNOW!

    Thanks for all the pollers too... made it much easier to decide!

    CHEERS!

  8. #8
    mwatt
    Guest

    Re: Long Black?

    Quote Originally Posted by stevenkylie link=1184589054/0#6 date=1184674624
    as long as you have the silly 35ml shots... WEIRD I KNOW!
    Whats with that?

    Muffin Break also advertise that an espresso is 35-40ml. Since when?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    242

    Re: Long Black?

    Quote Originally Posted by mwatt link=1184589054/0#7 date=1184718858
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenkylie link=1184589054/0#6 date=1184674624
    as long as you have the silly 35ml shots... WEIRD I KNOW!
    Whats with that?

    Muffin Break also advertise that an espresso is 35-40ml. Since when?
    Since youre trying to reconcile between something tasting really aweful, and the general population wanting to feel like they bought a drink, not a coffee.

    Its more than once Ive been told when I stare in disbelief at my full to the brim short black that people want something to drink.
    Hmmm... perhaps I should be asking luca what Im likely to be charged with if I jump behind the counter without an invite & do it myself.

  10. #10
    Site Sponsor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    265

    Re: Long Black?

    Quote Originally Posted by fatboy link=1184589054/0#4 date=1184671799
    Dont use no double negatives.
    should have been "ever".

    Cheers, Dave.

    =================

    At First Pour, I pour a doppio on top of hot water in a tulip.

  11. #11
    Senior Member fatboy_1999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,118

    Re: Long Black?

    Or..

    Dont use no double negatives never!

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,604

    Re: Long Black?

    Are you positive about that? ;D

    (couldnt help myself) ::)

    -Robusto

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,334

    Re: Long Black?

    What I meant was, my "never" in the post should have been "ever"

  14. #14
    Senior Member fatboy_1999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,118

    Re: Long Black?

    Yeah - I got that, but its more fun the other way.

    See - Robusto has already got some entertainment out of it.

    Sorry - Im bored and I think I need to go see Simon for a coffee at HQ.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,334

    Re: Long Black?

    Behmor Brazen - $249 - Free Freight
    Come down to First Pour...Ill make you a killer Long Black ;) The current batch of Veneziano Estate is banger....



Similar Threads

  1. Long black or long black?
    By yeeza in forum General Coffee Related...
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 9th September 2008, 12:43 AM
  2. [m]: Long Black?
    By Dimal in forum Milk Froth and Bubbles
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 17th July 2007, 12:01 AM
  3. What is a long black ?
    By Brendan in forum General Coffee Related...
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 12th July 2007, 06:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •