Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Good coffee in the Inner West of Sydney

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    16

    Good coffee in the Inner West of Sydney

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi everyone,

    After some advice. Were moving up to the big smoke next year and will be living in Strathfield. Just wondering if anyone knew any places in the vicinity that do good roast beans (caff and decaf).

    Cheers

  2. #2
    mwatt
    Guest

    Re: Good coffee in the Inner West of Sydney

    Im not great with nearness in Sydney but is Marrickville close enough? Coffee Alchemy would have to be very highly recommended.

    Otherwise, theres always mail order from any of the site sponsors, including Andys Brown Bay.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    21

    Re: Good coffee in the Inner West of Sydney

    There are a lot of places, but I dont know Strathfield, Im in Marrickville. If you dont want to do mail order, in order of my preference: Single Origin in Reservoir St in Surrey Hills is good (exceptionally nice people, interesting coffee), Campos in Newtown has good beans (Im not so keen on the coffee they make and in my experience they are rather precise about what time they close), Tobys Estate is only a little further on in City Road and has interesting beans. There are numbers of other roasters around but these are the ones I deal with.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    723

    Re: Good coffee in the Inner West of Sydney

    If you have a car, Marrickville or Haberfield (forgotten the name of the place, but okay beans) are fine!

    Cordial sells Golden Cobra beans, Campos sell campos beans (Newtown) and chippendale has tobys estate. Di Bartoli sell a number of SOs and blended coffee roasted by Hazel (hazchem)

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    389

    Re: Good coffee in the Inner West of Sydney

    Quote Originally Posted by Identity link=1197860621/0#3 date=1197941069
    If you have a car, Marrickville or Haberfield (forgotten the name of the place, but okay beans) are fine!

    Cordial sells Golden Cobra beans, Campos sell campos beans (Newtown) and chippendale has tobys estate. Di Bartoli sell a number of SOs and blended coffee roasted by Hazel (hazchem)
    I may have misunderstood what you are saying here but are you suggesting that the user Hazchem is the roaster Hazel? Because the user Hazchem is Aaron who was at the cafe crawl on Saturday, for breakfast at least. But you are right in saying that Hazel from Coffee Alchemy is the roaster for Di Bartoli.

    Maybe I just confused the issue and misunderstood what you were getting at and made mountains out of a molehill? Or maybe I am correct in my assumption and you need another coffee? *;)

    Either way you wont go wrong if you get coffee from Di Bartoli *:)

  6. #6
    Sleep is overrated Thundergod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    10,496

    Re: Good coffee in the Inner West of Sydney

    I think Identity is having an identity crises too.

    Aaron (hazchem) is about 7 feet tall and Hazel is about 3 foot 6. ;)

    You can easily tell them apart.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    17

    Re: Good coffee in the Inner West of Sydney

    Inner west of sydney, depends how far you are wiiling to go

    Tobys Estate - Cathedral St, Wooloomooloo (www.tobysestate.com.au)

    San Churro (crazy spanish chocolate cafe) - Glebe Point Rd, Glebe

    Gosh Coffee - Fox Studios, Bent St (Off Lang Rd) Moore Park (this is where I work and if you are desperate I can scratch your itch hahaha, bear in mind the blend we use is average...very average, but Ive managed to make a reasonable beverage with it, nothing exceptional but! haha)

    Gustos - Bondi (dont know the street)


    There is dozens of cafes around taht area, mainly in a little closer to the city on side streets off parramatta road, especially near Sydney Uni!

  8. #8
    Sleep is overrated Thundergod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    10,496

    Re: Good coffee in the Inner West of Sydney

    If you are going to Bondi, you might as well make it Bondi Junction and go to Di Bartoli.

    Actually, the best coffee to be had close to Strathfield is at my place.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Dennis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,512

    Re: Good coffee in the Inner West of Sydney

    Quote Originally Posted by Thundergod link=1197860621/0#7 date=1197971352
    If you are going to Bondi, you might as well make it Bondi Junction and go to Di Bartoli.

    Actually, the best coffee to be had close to Strathfield is at my place.
    Then again if you come to mine it will be worth the trip! ;) ;D

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    16

    Re: Good coffee in the Inner West of Sydney

    Well thanks for all the advice. Im in Perth currently, in the process of migrating from Canberra to Sydney (long story) so to be honest most of the names mean nothing to me. Stiill with GPS in hand I will go searching when I get to Sydney.

  11. #11
    HD
    HD is offline
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    28

    Re: Good coffee in the Inner West of Sydney

    Quote Originally Posted by Thundergod link=1197860621/0#5 date=1197961150
    and Hazel is about 3 foot 6. ;)

    You can easily tell them apart.
    >:( 5 feet...on good days!

  12. #12
    Sleep is overrated Thundergod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    10,496

    Re: Good coffee in the Inner West of Sydney

    [ch9556][ch9559][ch9556][ch9552][ch9574][ch9559]
    [ch9553][ch9562][ch9571][ch9553][ch9553][ch9562][ch9559]
    [ch9562][ch9552][ch9577][ch9552][ch9577][ch9552][ch9565]


    Hello gorgeous; I hope youre well.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    723

    Re: Good coffee in the Inner West of Sydney

    I *thought* thatd get her out of the woodwork......but i should stop being naughty like that ;)

  14. #14
    Sleep is overrated Thundergod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    10,496

    Re: Good coffee in the Inner West of Sydney

    Be careful what you say about her.
    She lurks and reads, just doesnt post often (as proven above).

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    723

    Re: Good coffee in the Inner West of Sydney

    The same applies to my wife......and Id thought I was safe!

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3

    Re: Good coffee in the Inner West of Sydney

    Quote Originally Posted by milbas link=1197860621/0#0 date=1197860621
    Hi everyone,

    After some advice. Were moving up to the big smoke next year and will be living in Strathfield. Just wondering if anyone knew any places in the vicinity that do good roast beans (caff and decaf).

    Cheers
    I havent seen anyone mention Cafe Bianchi. Cant attest to the "high end" quality of their stock but its in Leichhardt, theres good parking in Leichhardt Marketplace where they are and they do a roaring trade.

    Cheers,
    Graeme

  17. #17
    hazchem
    Guest

    Re: Good coffee in the Inner West of Sydney

    Quote Originally Posted by HD link=1197860621/0#10 date=1198064709
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundergod link=1197860621/0#5 date=1197961150
    and Hazel is about 3 foot 6. * ;)

    You can easily tell them apart.
    >:( *5 feet...on good days!
    aside from height, Hazel and I do have another CRITICAL difference .... ;D

    Anyway, Ive had some good, not great, but good coffee at Piccolo Padre in Rozelle recently. I think theyve recently started to roast their own too.

  18. #18
    Sleep is overrated Thundergod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    10,496

    Re: Good coffee in the Inner West of Sydney

    Quote Originally Posted by dasfreak link=1197860621/15#15 date=1199019472
    I havent seen anyone mention Cafe Bianchi. Cant attest to the "high end" quality of their stock but its in Leichhardt, theres good parking in Leichhardt Marketplace where they are and they do a roaring trade.
    I tried their coffee once when I ran out. The lady that served me (wife of the owner IIRC) struggled to tell me when the beans were roaasted. Not a good sign.
    Eventually she told me they were a few days post roast so I figured theyd be drinkable staight away; which is what I was after.
    I was not impressed with them (and Im more of a snob now than I was back then).

    But in anemergency I suppose I might consider them again.

    -------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by hazchem link=1197860621/15#16 date=1199023147
    Quote Originally Posted by HD link=1197860621/0#10 date=1198064709
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundergod link=1197860621/0#5 date=1197961150
    and Hazel is about 3 foot 6. * ;)

    You can easily tell them apart.
    >:( *5 feet...on good days!
    aside from height, Hazel and I do have another CRITICAL difference .... *;D
    I think Hazel would argue she gets by quite well without one.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    723

    Re: Good coffee in the Inner West of Sydney

    Where is Piccolo Padre? Brett, his wife and I crawled past the Little Marionette (great atmosphere, not so great barista) and the Campos rebrand (grassy and sour) a week or two ago and enjoyed neither very much!

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25

    Re: Good coffee in the Inner West of Sydney

    Behmor Brazen - $249 - Free Freight
    Quote Originally Posted by Identity link=1197860621/15#18 date=1199239082
    Where is Piccolo Padre? Brett, his wife and I crawled past the Little Marionette (great atmosphere, not so great barista) and the Campos rebrand (grassy and sour) a week or two ago and enjoyed neither very much!
    Piccolo Padre sits on Darling street in Rozelle... Coffee isnt great, but theyre pretty good for breakfast. If youre in the area and after some ripper coffee Id be more inclined to wander in to Cafe 2000 or theres a new cafe that opened on boxing day on the other side of Victoria road serving Campos beans that pours a mean macchiato... Unfortunately I dont remember the name of the place - they still have the sign up from the previous cafe that was there - Bar Greco.

    This is my first post - long time browser, first time poster :)



Similar Threads

  1. Inner-West of Sydney
    By mwatt in forum NSW-ACT
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 19th June 2013, 09:28 PM
  2. North/West of Sydney
    By speleomike in forum NSW-ACT
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 21st April 2009, 02:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •