Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 56

Thread: Top Australian Cafes

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,334

    Top Australian Cafes

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    The Australian has a released a photo gallery of Australias "top cafes". What do you think?

    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/executive-lifestyle/gallery-e6frg8jo-1225844125431?page=1

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Port Fairy
    Posts
    2,993

    Re: Top Australian Cafes

    Given they only posted 14 for the country ::) There is maybe one in Melbourne that might be dropped and a few more that missed out, but thats opening a whole can of worms so I wont ;)

    Better than some lists I suppose

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    979

    Re: Top Australian Cafes

    If all it does, is point people in the direction of the specialty coffee industry then I say its a good thing. Impossible to mention everyone.

  4. #4
    Senior Member simonsk8r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    1,085

    Re: Top Australian Cafes

    Brother Baba Budan.... <3<3<3 looooove it! Go there, now :)

  5. #5
    hazchem
    Guest

    Re: Top Australian Cafes

    Quote Originally Posted by 4740444B43495C4C4B42250 link=1269678964/1#1 date=1269679462
    Given they only posted 14 for the country *::) There is maybe one in Melbourne that might be dropped and a few more that missed out, but thats opening a whole can of worms so I wont *;)

    Better than some lists I suppose
    theres 20 odd cafes mentioned, I dont disagree with any of them. Perth & Brisbane could have had more coverage, but hey I think they did a pretty good job. Although they listed my local coffee pub, which is one of those "oh my god they told everyone" moments but Im very happy for HD as she runs a great business and completely deserves to be spoken of in the top of ANY list or discussion about excellence in Australian specialty coffee.

    Im intrigued as to who you think should be dropped from the Melbourne list beanflying, but appreciate getting into it might cause more trouble than its worth.

  6. #6
    Super Moderator scoota_gal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    4,126

    Re: Top Australian Cafes

    Since when did Australia only consist of Melbourne, Sydney, Perth, Brisbane and Adelaide?? ::) Im even amazed that they did think to include Tasmania!

    Im sure that there are plenty out side of these areas doing great specialty coffee...

    This reads like a paid advertisment to me... :-?


  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    1,756

    Re: Top Australian Cafes

    looks like phil Dibella out the front of Single origin :-? dont think so, but looks like him

    Some seriously great coffee houses missed the list......

    paid advert.....i agree ;)

  8. #8
    hazchem
    Guest

    Re: Top Australian Cafes

    yep paid advert for sure. good one guys, way to support those doing great things in coffee. Surely just creating awareness about specialty coffee helps ANYONE who sells it?

    I dont disagree that there is good purveyors of specialty coffee outside of the capital cities, but a paid advert? thats just sour grapes.

    I guess some people will never be happy. ::)

  9. #9
    Senior Member Dennis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,512

    Re: Top Australian Cafes

    Quote Originally Posted by 3F362D343F323A570 link=1269678964/7#7 date=1269740221
    I dont disagree that there is good purveyors of specialty coffee outside of the capital cities, but a paid advert? thats just sour grapes.
    Agree with you wholeheartedly Aaron. There will always be some/lots of good ones left out for reasons that have nothing to do with the quality of coffee served.

    It was great to see Hazel included amongst the big boys. She rocks! :)


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    42

    Re: Top Australian Cafes

    Only one from Adelaide? BAH! I know of a couple that deserve to be on that list.

  11. #11
    CoffeeSnobs Owner Andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Internet
    Posts
    16,845
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Top Australian Cafes

    The Australian (called that because they thought it would sell more papers than calling it "The Sydney") have put together a list of some of the best coffee houses in the country. Because lots of these venues were not within 15 minutes from the Sydney CBD they dont have pictures but if you read the text you will see many other places listed (including The Coffee Barun in SA for example)

    Curiously, seems every single Slayer in the country is there... Jorno machine snobbery maybe?

    I think its a good list and pretty sure all of the places mentioned are in the CS recomended cafes in Good Coffee Where?
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?catselect=GoodCoffeeWhere


  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    73

    Re: Top Australian Cafes

    Hey Andy
    Could you pls post a link to the articl? I cant seem to locate it on the AUstralia website
    Thanks
    J

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    73

    Re: Top Australian Cafes

    oops, just saw it above
    Thanks

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,334

    Re: Top Australian Cafes

    Quote Originally Posted by 59767C61180 link=1269678964/10#10 date=1269752883
    Curiously, seems every single Slayer in the country is there... Jorno machine snobbery maybe?
    Not quite. There are few more out there!

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    57

    Re: Top Australian Cafes

    Paid ad?? Laughable.. I have been to most of these cafes and I am the guy in the picturer of Cafe 12. Oomph. I am the one using the slayer. These are some great cafes, dont discredit the hard work we have put in to make them what they are, PLEASE people!!! :)

  16. #16
    Super Moderator scoota_gal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    4,126

    Re: Top Australian Cafes

    Quote Originally Posted by 434A5148434E462B0 link=1269678964/7#7 date=1269740221
    yep paid advert for sure. good one guys, way to support those doing great things in coffee. Surely just creating awareness about specialty coffee helps ANYONE who sells it?
    I dont see how.

    There seems to me to be something slightly wrong with creating a list of the top ten or so best list of coffee places because invariably there are going to be some very hard working and also deserving businesses not included in that list. In this case it seems to me that if youre not a trendy inner city cafe then you dont make the cut.

    What about places in the outer suburbs of cities doing awesome stuff? Regional centres even? I mean, Canberra didnt even get a mention! *;D

    Anyhow, I dont think that this was the way to help spread the cause of specialty coffee.

    But then again, everyone is affected differently by marketing and if this is the only way to get people into cafes so be it.

    However, I really am angry that I cant hold an opinion here and express that without being called out for being "sour grapes" or worse "not able to please everybody". Thats just rude when Ive given an opinion, especially after Ive being asked for one.

    I dont censor people here on CS for their opinions and if I ever have, then please forgive me for that.

    If David wanted only sugar coated "yes they all rock" replies, then he should have been a bit more specific in his original post ie...what does everyone except Scoota think? *::)

  17. #17
    Super Moderator scoota_gal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    4,126

    Re: Top Australian Cafes

    Quote Originally Posted by 5E7D6E6E7D7F771C0 link=1269678964/14#14 date=1269756304
    Paid ad?? Laughable..
    And regardless of what you think, this is not a "news" story, rather it is advertising...just in another form. All of those cafes mentioned just got some great free advertising. But again, what about all the other deserving cafes where people are working just as hard??

    Is it really that hard for others to see? :-?

  18. #18
    hazchem
    Guest

    Re: Top Australian Cafes

    Quote Originally Posted by 7E5D4E4E5D5F573C0 link=1269678964/14#14 date=1269756304
    dont discredit the hard work we have put in to make them what they are, PLEASE people!!!
    dont worry Barrack, I am confident that the vast majority of us not only realise that, but (like me) are very grateful for the hard work so many people (including the venerable Mr Freeman), all across Australia, put into their own business and furthering the cause of specialty coffee.

    Maybe if some feel left out, or that the list is not comprehensive enough, they could write their own and get it published in a widely read newspaper or similar website.

    Quote Originally Posted by 7C6C60607B6E50686E630F0 link=1269678964/16#16 date=1269757090
    Quote Originally Posted by 5E7D6E6E7D7F771C0 link=1269678964/14#14 date=1269756304
    Paid ad?? Laughable..
    And regardless of what you think, this is not a "news" story, rather it is advertising...just in another form. All of those cafes mentioned just got some great free advertising. But again, what about all the other deserving cafes where people are working just as hard??

    Is it really that hard for others to see? *:-?
    Of course the list could have been longer. But if articles and photo essays such as this, create more awareness about specialty coffee which in turn encourages people to seek out places that serve it, wherever they might be - Sydney, Adelaide, Canberra, Tamworth, Uluru - then everyone wins.

    Get angry about having your opinion challenged if you like. I dont really care.

    To be frank, claiming that this article is paid advertising is, IN MY OPINION, poor form and not what I PERSONALLY expect from a moderator of this forum.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    57

    Re: Top Australian Cafes

    Ohh touchy on this forum!! Yes there would definately be others who deserve to be on here, maybe these were better on the day?? But hey, same goes for any sport in the world, they cant hand medals to everyone sadly. But hey, there is only 14!! What do some of you expect? Thank you hazchem for the re assurance though. You are right, this is good for speciallty coffee and is what its about. Scoota girl, wow, come over here and ill shout you a latte, maybe thatll cheer you up...

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    366

    Re: Top Australian Cafes

    What I believe poor form to be is a personal slight against someone for having a differing opinion, no matter how valid or otherwise that opinion appears to be to you or anyone else.

    Yes, discuss and debate differences of opinion with varying degrees of robustaness (yes, poor pun intended ;D), but leave the personal shots out of it.

    Yes, the article may serve to raise awareness of specialty coffees. And yes, that can be of great benefit to others in the industry. Paid or not though, to me it appears to be more advertorial than not. A bit like the show on one of the 6.30pm current affairs shows about the new wave of tvs a while back. It covered the whole differing LCD, LED, Plasma and so on thing with reference to digital tele coming in. But all the shots were taken inside a JB Hifi store.

    Where do you think most of the shoppers that show created would have gone? Not to Harvey Norman.

    Good luck to those mentioned in the article, the work they do certainly does deserve recognition. And I don;t have any clue as to how someone made or missed the cut. But those pictured have been given a pretty big leg up in terms of exposure. Maybe a few less piccies and a few more groupings of coffee houses from each of the capital cities and some regional centres would have been preferable AND accurate.....who knows. My guess is that the researchers simply used their favourite Sydney and Melbourne caffeine suppliers, and rung a mate in the other centres to find a coffee shop or two to fill the article. That is purely a wild and unsubstantiated guess though, before I get shot down in flames. 8-)

    Having said this though, I am always happy to see and love reading anything to do with good coffee.

  21. #21
    Senior Member Dennis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,512

    Re: Top Australian Cafes

    Quote Originally Posted by 21021111020008630 link=1269678964/18#18 date=1269759774
    maybe these were better on the day?? But hey, same goes for any sport in the world, they cant hand medals to everyone sadly.
    What youve said here is just garbage. I know for sure that not every cafe was considered, and I would be astounded if any genuine judging took place.

    Im still happy for those that rated.

  22. #22
    hazchem
    Guest

    Re: Top Australian Cafes

    you know what? I cant believe that, myself included, there has been a blow up about this. I would have thought this is something the members of CS would be happy about.

    I guess I was wrong.

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,334

    Re: Top Australian Cafes

    It is in my opinion that this photo essay is a good for specialty coffee. If it makes the average Joe seek out these cafes in their cities for their cup of joe, then that can only be a good thing. Not everyone is going to be included so dont be offended if you never made it in the list. Doesnt mean youre not doing a good job or that youre not specialty coffee.

    Everyone relax a bit and have a cup of coffee!

    Just out of interest Scoota. Who would you have in the list and who would you have out?

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    1,756

    Re: Top Australian Cafes

    Quote Originally Posted by 68617A6368656D000 link=1269678964/21#21 date=1269761999
    you know what? I cant believe that, myself included, there has been a blow up about this
    You started it :P joking joking ;D

    I think its great that these amazing specialty coffee outlets have been identified, and i do not discount the years of work and devotion that it has taken for some of the establishments to get to where they are now, i agree with den, "Australias Best" implies everyone has sat a practical evaluation.......which has not occurred, there are some people on this forum who produce amazing stuff.......of coarse this advertisement will grate people the wrong way.....

  25. #25
    Super Moderator scoota_gal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    4,126

    Re: Top Australian Cafes

    Quote Originally Posted by 474E554C474A422F0 link=1269678964/17#17 date=1269757113
    To be frank, claiming that this article is paid advertising is, IN MY OPINION, poor form and not what I PERSONALLY expect from a moderator of this forum.
    When I first took on this job...no one told me that I had to throw my opinions out the window and become one who just bows down and conforms to what everyone else wants to have me conform to. I dont really care what you think a moderator here should or should not say...

    Im not bagging out specialty coffee, rather Im bagging out the way in which a "newspaper" has portrayed "news" on cafes.

    David, I am relaxed...its Sunday afternoon! *;D

    Does it really matter who I think should have been included here? I mean, if Im going to get hammered for an opinion on it being advertising paid or not, then there is NO way Im ever going to let you know publically who should have been on such a list... ::)


  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    569

    Re: Top Australian Cafes

    Quote Originally Posted by 6165435A5A5F405758360 link=1269678964/23#23 date=1269763519
    .of coarse this advertisement will grate people the wrong way.....
    I doubt it was an advertisement, it was probably just a journalist / photographer looking for a story / space filler.

    I think it is great exposure, but doubt any of the cafes on the list paid anything or requested to be on the list.

    As with any article in a newspaper, it is one persons opinion, and we are each entitled to our own, except we are not journalists :)

    Complaints about focus on big cities may be justified in terms of best coffee, but newspapers measure their success on readers, and most readers are in large cities, so probably just focusing on their readers and circulation areas

  27. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    1,756

    Re: Top Australian Cafes

    i still think the title "Australias Best" is a bit over the top, and incorrect......maybe "My favorite coffee shops in aust" would be more appropriate.

  28. #28
    hazchem
    Guest

    Re: Top Australian Cafes

    Quote Originally Posted by 77676B6B70655B636568040 link=1269678964/24#24 date=1269763975

    When I first took on this job...no one told me that I had to throw my opinions out the window and become one who just bows down and conforms to what everyone else wants to have me conform to
    Im not, nor would I ever suggest being a moderator means not being able to express an opinion. However, making unsubstantiated claims about an article being paid advertising is something I would call anyone out on, on any forum. It is not something I would expect from a moderator.

    So maybe "Australias Best" is an overblown headline. but guess what, thats what newspaper/website editors do. Write catchy/provocative headlines. Its how they sell papers and get click through.

    and guess what? it worked. were all talking about it.

  29. #29
    Senior Member GregJW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Armidale, NSW
    Posts
    618

    Re: Top Australian Cafes

    Hey! Fantastic for Hazel to get in there! Woo!

    Ive had coffee in a few of the cafes mentioned and cant complain about any of them. Theyre seriously quality cafes. Ive also had some good coffees in cafes that werent in the article. But they had to draw a line somewhere. Thats life.

    Not a bad article, all up. If its marketing to some degree, thats ok IMO, as long as its deserved (and gets one up for specialty cafes v franchises).

    (Better get a Slayer, Den. ;))

  30. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    723

    Re: Top Australian Cafes

    5 of the first 6 on that list are regular haunts for me. And yes, they do portray the top of Adelaide & Sydney coffee experiences - speaking as a general punter and also as a barista judge (not because it makes me any better than anyone else, it doesnt, but because other industry people have certified I can evaluate and score coffee according to worldwide, commonly accepted guidelines for what a fantastic coffee is).

    Those I know like Josh (from Cup Espresso), Hazel (forum member HD), Ian (from Bar Nine), Reuben (Meccas Roaster) all have a passion and dedication that you scoota gal, would recognise and Im fairly sure appreciate, as a coffee professional yourself. Sure, they focussed on metro cafes doing S.O. and/or expensive coffee through expensive machinery in a way that youve said isnt available to you where you work. (Im sure Andy, or Fleur from Market Lane, can help you with that)

    Its not marketing. Look at the shot of Coffee Alchemy. Overexposed, blurry, doesnt show staff, equipment, coffee menu or anything else. Its a photo essay. Sour grapes are really, really unbecoming, and to accuse the top cafes in Australia of being a paid advert is just off.

    Ive got to agree with Aaron, Dennis & Andy here.

    Even if you thought it was a paid advert, how would purveying that opinion do anything but denigrate the work of some of the leaders in the specialty coffee industry in Australia?

    @Andy BeanDrinking in Crows Nest are closer to the CBD than The Source, and have Slayer #0007.

  31. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    366

    Re: Top Australian Cafes

    Im still happy for those that rated.
    And thats the best line in the thread. Its easy to forget this point.

  32. #32
    Senior Member flynnaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,096

    Re: Top Australian Cafes

    There were a couple of other coffee related articles in the Weekend Oz, one about Andrew Kelly as cupper extroadinaire and the other about sophistication/snobbery in the Australian coffee sphere

    See them here and here respectively

  33. #33
    Caffeine Junky
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,103

    Re: Top Australian Cafes

    I noticed in the blurb beneath photo 1 (Bar9 in Adelaide) they mention Rio Coffee. Rio sell equipment, coffee and other sundries but you cant actually buy a cup of coffee there.

    At least they mention The Coffee Barun.

  34. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    42

    Re: Top Australian Cafes

    Quote Originally Posted by 4A4B41524C4953200 link=1269678964/32#32 date=1269771614
    I noticed in the blurb beneath photo 1 (Bar9 in Adelaide) they mention Rio Coffee. *Rio sell equipment, coffee and other sundries but you cant actually buy a cup of coffee there.

    At least they mention The Coffee Barun.
    I noticed that too, not really sure why they put Rio in the blurb. Maybe they just pulled a name out of the phone book and assumed they were a cafe :P

  35. #35
    CoffeeSnobs Owner Andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Internet
    Posts
    16,845
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Top Australian Cafes

    Quote Originally Posted by 7672544D4D4857404F210 link=1269678964/26#26 date=1269764828
    i still think the title "Australias Best" is a bit over the top, and incorrect......maybe "My favorite coffee shops in aust" would be more appropriate.
    This is the best comment in this feral thread!

    If the paper wrote that it would have far more cred.

    Quote Originally Posted by 6845444F55485558210 link=1269678964/29#29 date=1269767455
    Andy "blah blah" in Crows Nest are closer to the CBD than The Source, and have Slayer #0007
    I know, their PR company spammed me (more than once). Poor form really.

    Quote Originally Posted by 474D584F4F405452210 link=1269678964/31#31 date=1269768222
    There were a couple of other coffee related articles in the Weekend Oz,
    John Lethleans article on Auction Room Andrews is a good one...
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/executive-lifestyle/the-divine-bean/story-e6frg8jo-1225845251992
    ...he has been the quiet achiever for quite a while in Melbourne just head down and bum up producing great coffee without the fanfare others need/want/deserve/desire.

    I am curious why the second article has no author credit?!?!

    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/executive-lifestyle/ill-have-it-au-lait-ok/story-e6frg8jo-1225845359989

    Im also curious if Jamie Elfman really said:
    “On the whole, African coffees don’t work so well with milk because of their higher acidity..."

    :o

    If nothing else I think we can all agree on the fact that some weird stuff gets written in newpapers.

  36. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    362

    Re: Top Australian Cafes

    Quote Originally Posted by 002F2538410 link=1269678964/34#34 date=1269773695
    Im also curious if Jamie Elfman really said:
    “On the whole, African coffees don’t work so well with milk because of their higher acidity..."

    I had to read that line a few times myself! Then a few lines later, “Colombians go really well because they have a greater complexity and a level of acidity that cuts through the milk.”

    :-?

  37. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,520

    Re: Top Australian Cafes

    when did Hazel get that table? I gota get out more..... :)

  38. #38
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: Top Australian Cafes

    Seems to me that you can read as many column inches or look at as many photos as you like, but the bottom line is that the best cafes in Australia are the ones you like and no journailst on the shmooze is likely to have any idea- payola or not. Its great that they got some publicity but the title lost me immediately...

    One of my favourite cafes sits on my bench just a few metres from where I type and frankly, I couldnt give a rats as to what the Australian or any other paper thinks..

    I wont bother reading the article as I have better things to do, but if anyone cares to send a copy, I am happy to fix it onto the nail of the thunderbox door and it will receive my full attention in times of emergency....

  39. #39
    jasonscheltus
    Guest

    Re: Top Australian Cafes

    I know Market Lane didnt pay cash for comment. I would be VERY surprised if anyone written up did, and I would be very surprised if any journalist was responsive to that.

    Andy - bang on about Auction Rooms, hes been working hard and quietly for a long time. Good to see a well written article on coffee in the press.

  40. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    1,756

    Re: Top Australian Cafes

    Quote Originally Posted by 603F27313A313D343437373F333C520 link=1269678964/37#37 date=1269778855
    Seems to me that you can read as many column inches or look at as many photos as you like, but the bottom line is that the best cafes in Australia are the ones you like and no journailst on the shmooze is likely to have any idea- payola or not. Its great that they got some publicity but the title lost me immediately...

    One of my favourite cafes sits on my bench just a few metres from where I type and frankly, I couldnt give a rats as to what the Australian or any other paper thinks..

    I wont bother reading the article as I have better things to do, but if anyone cares to send a copy, I am happy to fix it onto the nail of the thunderbox door and it will receive my full attention in times of emergency....
    Gold Chris......pure Gold!

  41. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    979

    Re: Top Australian Cafes

    Quote Originally Posted by 1F40584E454E424B4B4848404C432D0 link=1269678964/37#37 date=1269778855
    ...My favourite cafe sits on my bench
    I like this as a slogan.

  42. #42
    Senior Member flynnaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,096

    Re: Top Australian Cafes

    John (Coffeehorse) was right on the money in summing up the article.
    The cafes in the article that I frequent or recognise have established a well deserved reputation for good coffee and I wouldnt dismiss the article as rubbish or payola-generated. *Perhaps the title is misleading, but what newspaper doesnt indulge in hyperbole.

    If I was a visitor wanting to know where they can get a good cup of coffee in certain places, I could do much worse than visiting the cafes mentioned. I wouldnt be under the illusion that they are the only good places. Yes, Brisbane should have been featured more.

    Quote Originally Posted by 4C6369740D0 link=1269678964/34#34 date=1269773695
    I am curious why the second article has no author credit?!?!
    Necia Wilden. Its mentioned in the hard copy version and also on the launching page http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/executive-lifestyle/food-wine

    I think she also had something to do with the Top Cafes article. Actually, the last slide mentions:
    Weekend Australian Magazine food editors John Lethlean and Necia Wilden list the cafes and restaurants that serve the best coffee in the cou...

  43. #43
    Sleep is overrated Thundergod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    10,496

    Re: Top Australian Cafes

    Quote Originally Posted by 5F5356425B574040570204320 link=1269678964/19#19 date=1269761290
    My guess is that the researchers simply used their favourite Sydney and Melbourne caffeine suppliers, and rung a mate in the other centres to find a coffee shop or two to fill the article. *
    Quote Originally Posted by 70575C6D61320 link=1269678964/25#25 date=1269764097
    I doubt it was an advertisement, it was probably just a journalist / photographer looking for a story / space filler. *
    I agree with the two quotes above.
    Who knows where they get these lists from.
    Ive asked myself the same thing when searching Google Earth for the nearest anything.

    Quote Originally Posted by 735C564B320 link=1269678964/34#34 date=1269773695
    If nothing else I think we can all agree on the fact that some weird stuff gets written in newpapers. *
    Amen.



  44. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    57

    Re: Top Australian Cafes

    I am just happy we were mentioned AND we DIDNT have to pay for it... Finally our 10 years of hard work in little ol Tassie is being appreciated. Also pretty stoked its me in the photo ;)

  45. #45
    Senior Member flynnaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,096

    Re: Top Australian Cafes

    Quote Originally Posted by 1734272734363E550 link=1269678964/43#43 date=1269823439
    I am just happy we were mentioned AND we DIDNT have to pay for it

    Congrats Barrack and Carlos and the rest of the Oomph team...and one of only two CoffeeSnob sponsors mentioned to boot.

    Did the journos mention why they chose your cafe as one of the featured?

  46. #46
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18

    Re: Top Australian Cafes

    Wow, you guys really are coffee snobs, the article wasnt cash for comment advertorial etc etc. The progression of the coffee industry has been quick in recent years with a number of players working HARD. Sure there are huge problems with "generalized articles" about who is top ten etc which is all rubbish and problematic. The real thing is to celebrate that Australia is really starting to become a diverse, structured coffee force. Many players are now educated and have international qualifications. Celebrate the Q cuppers the CoE jury members and coffee professionals who have really lifted the quality and expectations of coffee consumers. Negativity does seem to be very 2010.

  47. #47
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    57

    Re: Top Australian Cafes

    Quote Originally Posted by 4B415443434C585E2D0 link=1269678964/44#44 date=1269824996
    Congrats Barrack and Carlos and the rest of the Oomph team...and one of only two CoffeeSnob sponsors mentioned to boot.

    Did the journos mention why they chose your cafe as one of the featured? *

    No they didnt. They wrote to us in an Email saying we had made the top 100 and to send a picture and a blurb about what we do, which we did. We get no coverage in Tasmania at all (media wise) so this was fantastic. We have been doing what we do for 10 years now and are constantly trying to better ourselves which can be hard when there is not much other competition around. We are part of a few cafes over here trying to educate the public about coffee (tasweigans take some educating ;) ) We do have alot of support over here though which is lucky. Thank you for your kind words of congratulations though. The whole team is pretty chuffed *;D

  48. #48
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    57

    Re: Top Australian Cafes

    Quote Originally Posted by 052623253528332F2235470 link=1269678964/45#45 date=1269847144
    Wow, you guys really are coffee snobs, the article wasnt cash for comment advertorial etc etc. The progression of the coffee industry has been quick in recent years with a number of players working HARD. Sure there are huge problems with "generalized articles" about who is top ten etc which is all rubbish and problematic. The real thing is to celebrate that Australia is really starting to become a diverse, structured coffee force. Many players are now educated and have international qualifications. Celebrate the Q cuppers the CoE jury members and coffee professionals who have really lifted the quality and expectations of coffee consumers. Negativity does seem to be very 2010.
    Correcto!

  49. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    759

    Re: Top Australian Cafes

    Quote Originally Posted by 60434640504D564A4750220 link=1269678964/45#45 date=1269847144
    Negativity does seem to be very 2010.
    Its an election year, of course everyone is negative.

    Lets get back to talking about coffee instead of whinging.

  50. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    441

    Re: Top Australian Cafes

    Behmor Brazen - $249 - Free Freight
    Your mums are very 2010.



Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Cafes using Bodum?
    By mean_beans in forum General Coffee Related...
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 26th November 2010, 09:07 PM
  2. Cafes in Tasmania
    By Lovey in forum General Coffee Related...
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 24th March 2008, 04:12 PM
  3. Bondi Cafes
    By jimmyb in forum General Coffee Related...
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 14th November 2007, 11:18 AM
  4. Third wave cafes what are they?
    By Sarg in forum General Coffee Related...
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 26th October 2007, 07:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •