Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Barista Course in Perth?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8

    Barista Course in Perth?

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi CSers,

    Im looking for a recommendation on a basic barista course in Perth.

    Ive just upgraded my home machine to the EM6910 and Rocky grinder, and due to a fractured ankle, I have a little time on my hands. Seems like the ideal time to learn how to properly use my new gear.

    Cheers
    Rick 8-)

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3

    Re: Barista Course in Perth?

    Hi Rick

    Id recommend the Perth Barista Academy in Northbridge (mod edit commercial link removed)

    I did a half-day introductory course there (for $150 - work paid :) and I was impressed. Awesome coffee and top-flight equipment. The course was very enjoyable, but also very informative and practical. It was a mix of home enthusiasts, people applying for serious cafe roles and kids just leaving school and looking for some cred to apply for basic cafe roles. I seem to recall that I walked away with about 10 coffee shots in me and a cash voucher to buy some beans.

    You may want to give them a call to chat about actually doing the course though, because all their equipment is stand-up operated - and I dont know how that would work with a busted ankle?

    Hope that helps
    smallfry

  3. #3
    Senior Member petar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    122

    Re: Barista Course in Perth?

    i also did the intro course at the Perth Barista Academy.. Vanessa who was giving the course is supper enthusiastic and its a really great start about getting more serious about coffee..

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3

    Re: Barista Course in Perth?

    is this course accredited or are the trainers accredited/recognised training providers?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    921

    Re: Barista Course in Perth?

    Quote Originally Posted by 2B333F33636A520 link=1274503293/3#3 date=1275090288
    is this course accredited or are the trainers accredited/recognised training providers?
    This is no guarantee of quality just a that a minimum standard will be achieved.

  6. #6
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: Barista Course in Perth?

    Quote Originally Posted by 333D303F283E3F510 link=1274503293/4#4 date=1275091737
    Quote Originally Posted by 2B333F33636A520 link=1274503293/3#3 date=1275090288
    is this course accredited or are the trainers accredited/recognised training providers?
    This is no guarantee of quality just a that a minimum standard will be achieved.


    Arr so a level of Competence is assessed and signed off; not just attendance ?

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    921

    Re: Barista Course in Perth?

    Too true!! All the courses I have done have been attendance only no assessment. I suppose I was more referring to the minimum standard of the delivery of the topic.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3

    Re: Barista Course in Perth?

    also with the wa trainer mentioned, I have heard that it is affilliated with a certain supplier (I know that most would be affiliated in some way or other) and that they push this particular brand and the machines used as the best around? can anyone tell me if this is true or not? I am more so interested to know for myself as I am looking at getting some training and would like to learn from an impartial source, not be brainwashed into believing only one point of view.

  9. #9
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: Barista Course in Perth?

    Quote Originally Posted by 18000C005059610 link=1274503293/7#7 date=1275104803
    also with the wa trainer mentioned, I have heard that it is affilliated with a certain supplier (I know that most would be affiliated in some way or other) and that they push this particular brand and the machines used as the best around? can anyone tell me if this is true or not? I am more so interested to know for myself as I am looking at getting some training and would like to learn from an impartial source, not be brainwashed into believing only one point of view.
    2 + 2 = 5 where great coffee is concerned..

    Thus every variable has to be considered and for some users a particular variable may be easer to manage.. ie. Machine.

    Do they have a point YES. Is it Right ... YES; for them and in CONTEXT.

    I want defensive driving.... Will the trainers have preferences or maybe cars provided - Yes..

    Same deal: It is the basic skill sets and understanding the variables, the interactions ect that will make the Driver / Barista great at his job...

    1: Ya want training on A machine - see teh supplier / sponsor

    2: You want Barista / Coffee exposure / understanding - see a well versed Trainer.

    3: You want to be a Barista.. 5 years on teh job with a reputable coffee establishment and Roaster.

  10. #10
    Senior Member greenman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    3,156

    Re: Barista Course in Perth?

    Quote Originally Posted by 6D4E444A4B6D4A4E412F0 link=1274503293/0#0 date=1274503293
    Hi CSers,

    Im looking for a recommendation on a basic barista course in Perth.

    Ive just upgraded my home machine to the EM6910 and Rocky grinder, and due to a fractured ankle, I have a little time on my hands. Seems like the ideal time to learn how to properly use my new gear.

    Cheers
    Rick * 8-)
    Rick, you should have got a training course included with your Sunbeam 6910, the people who run this course are very knowledgable and part of the Perth specialty coffee industry.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8

    Re: Barista Course in Perth?

    Greenman, I bought the machine second hand off this forum, so no course included :(

    Im partial to Fiori beans and have spoken with one of the guys at the factory re him running a half day course for me and a couple of friends. Sounds like it could be happening :)

  12. #12
    Senior Member greenman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    3,156

    Re: Barista Course in Perth?

    Quote Originally Posted by 00232927260027232C420 link=1274503293/10#10 date=1275123260
    Greenman, I bought the machine second hand off this forum, so no course included *:(

    Im partial to Fiori beans and have spoken with one of the guys at the factory re him running a half day course for me and a couple of friends. Sounds like it could be happening *:)
    They are a great crew at Fiori, Kamran is a fount of coffee knowledge and should point you in the right direction. Enjoy...... :)

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3

    Re: Barista Course in Perth?

    Behmor Brazen - $249 - Free Freight
    Hi all

    Sorry Im a bit late coming back to this thread.

    In my view, the Perth Barista Academy does seem to be linked to particular Perth roasting house and particular machinery. I wouldnt describe it as brainwashed, though. It was just clear, from comments and the gift voucher provided after the course, that there was an association. It was, however, clearly communicated that the course was about skills development - and that all equipment is different and that you (and your team) need to practise on the equipment that you (and your team) are going to use regularly. I think AngerManagements comments are a good summary of what I got out of the course: "basic skill set and understanding of the variables".

    Ultimately, if youre making coffee, youve got to start with some beans from somewhere and some machinery from somewhere. If you consider the course a starting point, and a way of finding out what some people look for, then its a good base on which to build your coffee knowledge and technique. Ive not bought any beans or equipment from the (apparently linked) suppliers, but I still took a lot of good things out of the course that I did.

    I did receive a certificate, but I dont think it was a part of a recognised training organisation certified program. I could be wrong there, though. Also, I dont think there was much assessment of competency (or otherwise) by the trainer, but I think I was a much better assessor of my competence after, than I was before!

    BakedBeans: As you say, Im sure other suppliers run their own courses with different machinery and beans too :) I was intending to do a similar course with a different roasting house, for the experience. The roasting house you mention in your post certainly runs similar courses (according to their website). Please let us know how it goes !

    smallfry



Similar Threads

  1. Barista Courses in Perth
    By danago in forum General Coffee Related...
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 18th September 2011, 12:31 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •