Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: I am in the process of buying a roasting business / training

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    6

    I am in the process of buying a roasting business / training

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I am in the process of buying a roasting business. so me thinks i need to try this starter pack. any suggestions on blends etc...

  2. #2
    Senior Member Dennis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,512

    Re: Starter Packs for newbie roasters.

    Quote Originally Posted by 0A262F2F2C2C032C2727490 link=1113484527/22#22 date=1340064549
    I am in the process of buying a roasting business. so me thinks i need to try this starter pack. any suggestions on blends etc...
    Hello Jenn and welcome to CS.

    I cant help but hear alarm bells ringing very loudly.* Going by your post, it seems you are going into this without any prior experience.*

    Try and imagine not knowing how to cook, or anything about produce, and buying a restaurant.* How do you think you would go?

    If that "roasting business" your are buying happens to be on the market in Sydney, with a starting bid of $15k, I can tell you it is well and truly overpriced.

    All the best
    Dennis

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    6

    Re: Starter Packs for newbie roasters.

    Hello Jenn and welcome to CS.

    I cant help but hear alarm bells ringing very loudly.* Going by your post, it seems you are going into this without any prior experience.*

    Try and imagine not knowing how to cook, or anything about produce, and buying a restaurant.* How do you think you would go?

    If that "roasting business" your are buying happens to be on the market in Sydney, with a starting bid of $15k, I can tell you it is well and truly overpriced.

    All the best
    Dennis
    Hi Dennis thanks for the advice. I have been in the coffee business for over 14 years so I am doing my research and going in with my eyes open. Its a huge process that will take awhile and I am making sure I cover all my bases.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Dennis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,512

    Re: Starter Packs for newbie roasters.

    My apologies Jenn and all the best with your venture.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    6

    Re: Starter Packs for newbie roasters.

    No worries Dennis. We are all here to help each other. I am newish at roasting. Going to enjoy it to its fullest!!! ;D

  6. #6
    Senior Member GregWormald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,286

    Re: Starter Packs for newbie roasters.

    Depending on the size of the roaster, the sample packs may be too small to be of use.

    As far as blends, etc. go, there is a huge resource here, with enough options to cater for any taste. I guess it all depends on what you want to do--sell the beans, use them in your own shop, export, ... and what your customers want.

    Ive found the sponsors to be of great help (Im an amateur) with everything except specific recipes!

    Greg

  7. #7
    Senior Member greenman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    3,156

    Re: Starter Packs for newbie roasters.

    Quote Originally Posted by 173B323231311E313A3A540 link=1113484527/26#26 date=1340323406
    No worries Dennis. We are all here to help each other. I am newish at roasting. Going to enjoy it to its fullest!!!* ;D
    Hi Jenn, doing a commercial roasting course would be a great way to set yourself up with the knowledge needed to enter the roasting business :) :)

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    6

    Re: Starter Packs for newbie roasters.

    Quote Originally Posted by 061304040F0C000F610 link=1113484527/28#28 date=1340358533
    Quote Originally Posted by 173B323231311E313A3A540 link=1113484527/26#26 date=1340323406
    No worries Dennis. We are all here to help each other. I am newish at roasting. Going to enjoy it to its fullest!!!* ;D
    Hi Jenn, doing a commercial roasting course would be a great way to set yourself up with the knowledge needed to enter the roasting business :) :)
    I found a roasting course through coffee roasters australia, so i am probably going to do that.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    6

    Re: Starter Packs for newbie roasters.

    Quote Originally Posted by 1F2A3D3F0F372A3539343C580 link=1113484527/27#27 date=1340352511
    Depending on the size of the roaster, the sample packs may be too small to be of use.

    As far as blends, etc. go, there is a huge resource here, with enough options to cater for any taste. I guess it all depends on what you want to do--sell the beans, use them in your own shop, export, ... and what your customers want.

    Ive found the sponsors to be of great help (Im an amateur) with everything except specific recipes!

    Greg
    how do you mean sponsers?

  10. #10
    Senior Member David8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Annerley, QLD
    Posts
    559

    Re: Starter Packs for newbie roasters.

    Quote Originally Posted by 7C5059595A5A755A51513F0 link=1113484527/30#30 date=1340437712

    how do you mean sponsers?
    The list of businesses on the left of this page? They are the business who sponsor the forum. They have a LOT of expert knowledge to share. :)

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    6

    Re: I am in the process of buying a roasting business / training

    I had a laugh sorry new to this forum thing. still working my way around everything

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    162

    Re: I am in the process of buying a roasting business / training

    Behmor Brazen - $249 - Free Freight
    Quote Originally Posted by 0529202023230C232828460 link=1340064550/2#2 date=1340272085
    I have been in the coffee business for over 14 years
    Out of curiousity, part part of the coffee business have you been involved in?



Similar Threads

  1. Roasting process explained.
    By Yelta in forum Home Roasting - Tips, Tricks, Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 5th May 2013, 10:52 AM
  2. Roasting as a business
    By rumper in forum Roasters
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21st July 2006, 01:54 PM
  3. Roasting for Cold Process Coffee vs Espresso
    By Javaphile in forum Home Roasting - Tips, Tricks, Ideas
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 29th July 2005, 10:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •