Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Correct grind for filter

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    8

    Correct grind for filter

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Are there any tips for achieving optimal grind size for filter coffee? For espresso I was taught 25-30 ml in 25-30 seconds as a rule of thumb. Are there any similar guidelines for filter?

    I find I'm having to press quite hard with my AeroPress which makes me think the grind is too fine. But making it more coarse gives a coffee that's to watery.

  2. #2
    Senior Member timmyc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Edithvale, Melbourne AUS
    Posts
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by richard_browne View Post
    Are there any tips for achieving optimal grind size for filter coffee? For espresso I was taught 25-30 ml in 25-30 seconds as a rule of thumb. Are there any similar guidelines for filter?

    I find I'm having to press quite hard with my AeroPress which makes me think the grind is too fine. But making it more coarse gives a coffee that's to watery.
    How about you have a crack with a coarser grind but longer steep time (with inverted method). Guideline is your tastebuds

    Tim

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    8
    Tim, what is the inverted method?

  4. #4
    Senior Member timmyc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Edithvale, Melbourne AUS
    Posts
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by richard_browne View Post
    Tim, what is the inverted method?
    So basically you just put the Aeropress upside-down (or inverted). Put the rubber part just below the number 4 mark. Put your coffee in & add the water - experiment with grind size, steep time & stirring. Put your cap and filter on top, then flip it over and plunge into your cup

  5. #5
    Senior Member flynnaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,026
    While the Aeropress is essentially a plunger, it doesn't really need a filter grind.

    When I used filter papers I would use espresso grind for 1 cup and slightly coarser for 2 or more cups. Now I'm using the Coava disk rather than filter papers and espresso grind does the job.

    It does seem to require considerable force to express the coffee in an Ap but the trick is to apply onlyn enough force to allow the air pressure rather than your strength to do the work. But if the coffee tastes too strong, then adjust the
    grind coarser.

    Google aeropress inverted method and you'll find several recipes. I've developed my own

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by timmyc View Post
    So basically you just put the Aeropress upside-down (or inverted). Put the rubber part just below the number 4 mark. Put your coffee in & add the water - experiment with grind size, steep time & stirring. Put your cap and filter on top, then flip it over and plunge into your cup
    Thanks Tim I'll give it a try.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by flynnaus View Post
    While the Aeropress is essentially a plunger, it doesn't really need a filter grind.

    When I used filter papers I would use espresso grind for 1 cup and slightly coarser for 2 or more cups. Now I'm using the Coava disk rather than filter papers and espresso grind does the job.

    It does seem to require considerable force to express the coffee in an Ap but the trick is to apply onlyn enough force to allow the air pressure rather than your strength to do the work. But if the coffee tastes too strong, then adjust the grind coarser.
    Interesting. I'm also using the Coava Disk. I'll experiment with something closer to an espresso grind. Cheers.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Central Coast NSW
    Posts
    678
    Behmor Brazen - $249 - Free Freight
    This is my current method for AP with Coava disk here. http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-eq...tml#post474016
    You may or may not find it useful. (:



Similar Threads

  1. Is This Statement Correct?
    By shazza in forum General Coffee Related...
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 18th August 2010, 04:58 PM
  2. Correct Single Shot
    By Shimmy in forum Brewing Equipment - Midrange ($500-$1500)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 7th September 2008, 07:46 PM
  3. paper filter in bottom of espresso filter basket
    By stuartgrant in forum Brewing Equipment (non-machine specific)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 7th August 2008, 12:49 PM
  4. Fine grind/course grind blend...How To?
    By reubster in forum Blending Room
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 5th December 2007, 02:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •