Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Found two favourite green beans, any recommendations what else I would like?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    18

    Found two favourite green beans, any recommendations what else I would like?

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,


    Have been popper roasting (modded sunbeam cornelius) for around a year now & have tried around 12-14 different beans, half sourced from CS, half from other suppliers. They've been of various origins, but there's still mountains of varieties and origins out there I haven't tried.
    Some I've loved, some i've liked & then some have been just ok - it's all been drinkable!

    I've established that of those that I've tried, my favourite two beans have been the Santo Domingo Barahona AA & the Peru Ceja de Selva Estate. Based on that, could anyone recommend other beans that I'd enjoy? Also, can someone with more experience identify a common thread between these two beans that must be appealing to my palette?

    Has anyone had particularly noteworthy success blending either of these with a more unique bean as a 'hook'?

    Appreciate any feedback.


    Also, while I'm writing a thread...with 2012 slowing coming to a close, maybe we should run another 'poll' thread on favourite green beans of the year like this one from back in 2010:
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/general-co...ns-2010-a.html
    I found it an interesting resource when buying beans, but most of the varieties are now outdated (i.e. not available or changed slightly).
    Last edited by Javaphile; 6th November 2012 at 12:47 PM. Reason: direct link

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sydney North Shore
    Posts
    1,325
    As well as Peru Ceja de Selva, one of my favourites is Ethiopian Yirgacheffe.

    I cannot comment on why you like what you like.

    Barry

  3. #3
    Senior Member chokkidog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    2,095
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Duncan View Post
    As well as Peru Ceja de Selva, one of my favourites is Ethiopian Yirgacheffe.

    I cannot comment on why you like what you like.

    Barry
    Barry is right.
    There are simply too many variables, could be that your roast style suits this style of bean or then again it could be your wet coffee method and preference.
    The ph of your palate will be different to others or your ability to perceive the various taste/aroma sensations (depends on your palate, not necessarily experience).
    This is the wonderful world of coffee, the thousands of different farms and farmers, varieties, regions, countries, processing methods, weather, climate and more.

    The awesome opportunity we have with CS and Andy is the access to some of the best beans with a wide variety of cup possibilities and outcomes.
    Andy's beans are not repackaged commercial grades but are selected on their quality and uniqueness. A coffee snobs playground.
    Not all green bean suppliers offer such quality in affordable amounts, so keep trying different beans with different profiles and you'll soon come to recognise that although you will have favourites you'll be wired with anticipation at the next round of offerings as well as the 'edge of the back seat excitement' over the next arrival of all time greats such as our beloved Yemens.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Duncan View Post
    As well as Peru Ceja de Selva, one of my favourites is Ethiopian Yirgacheffe.

    I cannot comment on why you like what you like.

    Barry
    Is that the one for sale on CS? Maybe I'll try that, I've got a kilo of 'Ethiopian Yirgacheffe GR2 Washed' from another supplier, has been good but not excellent (to my subjective taste) - maybe the CS is better..
    Thx for the input Barry

  5. #5
    Senior Member David8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Annerley, QLD
    Posts
    559
    Quote Originally Posted by jesuislepop View Post
    Is that the one for sale on CS? Maybe I'll try that, I've got a kilo of 'Ethiopian Yirgacheffe GR2 Washed' from another supplier, has been good but not excellent (to my subjective taste) - maybe the CS is better..
    Thx for the input Barry
    And that is exactly the problem. What is nice for Barry, may not be great for you (depending on the differences between the two yirgs of course). Personally, my favourite bean has been the PNG Wahgi AA, which is currently available. But it's up to you.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    18
    Thx for the input chokkidog. Absolutely, there's so many variables I know - predicting / analyzing someone's palette is definitely not going to be an exact science!
    FYI I'm pulling both beans (the Santo Domingo & PCdS) as soon as 2nd crack starts, which is my modded popper is 7-8min (depending on room temp). CS8-CS9.

    For me, after years of coffee snobbery (including a few years as a barista, though that's almost a decade ago now), once I started roasting there's definitely been no going back. The control and level of involvement is completely addictive and very satisfying.
    Only bad part has been that I have a had a few 2.5kg (from coffee snobs) bags of beans that I've found just didn't appeal to my palette, which can be a lot of coffee to plough through if it's (subjectively) not that great - hence asking for any suggestions for my next order!

  7. #7
    Senior Member saoye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,006
    Quote Originally Posted by jesuislepop View Post
    Is that the one for sale on CS? Maybe I'll try that, I've got a kilo of 'Ethiopian Yirgacheffe GR2 Washed' from another supplier, has been good but not excellent (to my subjective taste) - maybe the CS is better..
    Thx for the input Barry
    Maybe an easier way is to let us know what characteristics you're after. Barry obviously like a variety as Peru and Ethiopian are very different beans. I like my variety too as I get bored drinking the same thing.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by David8 View Post
    And that is exactly the problem. What is nice for Barry, may not be great for you (depending on the differences between the two yirgs of course). Personally, my favourite bean has been the PNG Wahgi AA, which is currently available. But it's up to you.
    I keep hearing great things about that PNG Wahgi AA but haven't been able to snag it yet! If it was available I'd definitely make it part of the next order, will be on the lookout.
    Yes, it's all very subjective...I guess I'm on a search for a coffee snob soulmate - someone that enjoys Santo Domingo, Peru Ceja de Selva and long walks on the beach

  9. #9
    Senior Member David8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Annerley, QLD
    Posts
    559
    Quote Originally Posted by jesuislepop View Post
    I keep hearing great things about that PNG Wahgi AA but haven't been able to snag it yet! If it was available I'd definitely make it part of the next order, will be on the lookout.
    Yes, it's all very subjective...I guess I'm on a search for a coffee snob soulmate - someone that enjoys Santo Domingo, Peru Ceja de Selva and long walks on the beach
    It is available: CoffeeSnobs - BeanBay

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    73
    Your preferred weapon of choice when it comes to roasting will also have a big impact on taste of finished product, as well, some beans are suited to the short fast roast times of the popper, others aren't.

    Amanda

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by saoye View Post
    Maybe an easier way is to let us know what characteristics you're after. Barry obviously like a variety as Peru and Ethiopian are very different beans. I like my variety too as I get bored drinking the same thing.
    Hi Saoye. I'm not great at articulating my preferred characteristics, but I definitely know what I like...so here goes:

    * I like a full bottom note (or in coffee terms i think I should be saying 'body'), without being overly earthy (some earth is ok).
    * I like what I think are considered to be sweet notes - caramel, molasses and chocolate
    * I always seem to like the dark side of roasts - CS9-CS10.
    * Having lived in Italy a while, I became a fan of the standard Italian espresso blends - in my mind I think that's why I perhaps struggle to enjoy less full bodied coffee. For example I found the Mexican El Malinal Typica to taste a little 'hollow' (my bad articulation again - lacking body perhaps?), but it could be I couldn't get it to roast slow enough.. (CS9-10 @ 7-8min).
    * While I still liked it, I found the Brazil Pulped Natural a little boring / straight tasting.
    * For dining out coffee / or roasted beans, my recurring favourites (having lived in inner Melbourne for years and now Sydney) are the Proud Mary & Seven Seeds house blends. Though I've enjoyed home roasted SO Peru and Santo Domingo as much or more.

    According to CS, my two aforementioned favourite's characteristics are:
    SANTO: "Well balanced, mid bodied with some acidity, very similar in style to PNG and Jamaican coffees.." - maybe someone could suggest
    PERU: "..great body with a long mid-palate profile.."

    That's about the best I can do to narrow down my taste at this point..



    If a mod sees this - is there any problem with doing a 2012 poll on best green beans of the year?


    @David8 wow, I actually looked checked out the current CS range this morning before posting this thread and somehow overlooked that PNG being available, thanks!

  12. #12
    Senior Member saoye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,006
    I may put in a wild guess that you do not like beans that are overly acidic which is why you like the Peru and around that Region Central and South America. You most probably would like the PNG Wahgi AA why not also try the Indian AA which is full bodied and on the earthy side. I suspect you'd enjoy that more than African beans which are full of characters ranging from berry, floral and zest but are very different to what you've said you liked.

    Here's a Vietnamese Arabica I am trying at the moment from a local source. Similar to the Indian but milder. Very easy to drink as an espresso.

    IMGP0877.JPG

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sydney North Shore
    Posts
    1,325
    I too like the PNG Wahgi AA.

    I once asked a very experienced coffee shop and rostery owner what his favourite coffee was. His answer was “The latest coffee I have roasted.”

    While I know when I like or don’t like a coffee and get a lot of enjoyment from drinking it, there are some finer points I don’t get perhaps as my sense of smell is affected by years of having hay fever.

    Barry

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by saoye View Post
    I may put in a wild guess that you do not like beans that are overly acidic which is why you like the Peru and around that Region Central and South America. You most probably would like the PNG Wahgi AA why not also try the Indian AA which is full bodied and on the earthy side. I suspect you'd enjoy that more than African beans which are full of characters ranging from berry, floral and zest but are very different to what you've said you liked.

    Here's a Vietnamese Arabica I am trying at the moment from a local source. Similar to the Indian but milder. Very easy to drink as an espresso.

    IMGP0877.JPG
    Ok next order is decided - PNG Wahgi AA & Indian AA! That Indian does sound like my type of thing, I've got some of the Indian Monsoon Malabar, quite like it but don't LOVE it.

    I think you're right - i seem to have an aversion to overly acidic beans. Thanks everyone for the great discussion & suggestions.

  15. #15
    Super Moderator Javaphile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Earth!
    Posts
    15,465
    Quote Originally Posted by jesuislepop View Post
    If a mod sees this - is there any problem with doing a 2012 poll on best green beans of the year?
    Poll away!


    Java "So many beans, so little time!" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    73
    Behmor Brazen - $249 - Free Freight
    Quote Originally Posted by Javaphile View Post
    Poll away!


    Java "So many beans, so little time!" phile
    Suggest the Poll should run 1st - 31st January 2013. The years not over yet.

    Amanda (hanging out for the next beanbay).



Similar Threads

  1. Recommendations for a 50/50 green beans Espresso Blend
    By mrgrinder in forum Blending Room
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 24th November 2012, 09:30 AM
  2. What were your 3 favourite beanbay green beans in 2010?
    By SniffCoffee in forum General Coffee Related...
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 2nd February 2011, 07:52 PM
  3. Recommendations for Buying Fresh Beans in Sydney?
    By Expresso in forum General Coffee Related...
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 26th June 2007, 08:45 PM
  4. Favourite Beans for 05
    By Paul in forum Cup Tasting Room
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 6th January 2006, 08:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •