Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By shoffecop
  • 1 Post By Yelta

Thread: so do coffee shops use stale beans?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sydney, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    9

    so do coffee shops use stale beans?

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    so ive been making coffee everyday since i got my new machine and until i can get a grinder and a single wall filter set im stuck with a double wall and this month old packet of pregrinded brand coffee bought from the supermarket that i dont even think is for espressos
    the first cup of coffee i made with this machine tasted better or just as good as any cafe ive been to and ive been to a lot.
    i thought okay lucky first cup?
    nope each espresso has been perfect, i have never thought i could make such amazing tasting coffee at home
    if this is what i can make with month old pregrinded coffee from the supermarkets i cant wait to get a grinder and see how the stuff i make with a fresh grind tastes.
    am i just going to the wrong cafes or is it that im such a coffee snob now that the only really good coffee is the one i make cause i know how i like it
    CraigDavey likes this.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Dragunov21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,281
    Heh... wait til you actually taste a good coffee...

    Quote Originally Posted by shoffecop View Post
    going to the wrong cafes
    Pretty much this. Check out the NSW "Good Coffee Where" board if you want a yardstick (but maybe hold off until you get the grinder or you might spoil your home attempts for yourself in the mean time)

    And get a tamper that fits. And keep practising

  3. #3
    TOK
    TOK is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    697
    supermarket coffee is virtually guaranteed to be much older ("staler") than what is delivered to cafes/.


    if you are using a crema enhancing ((double wall) filter then you are getting a distorted view of the coffee you are buying and brewing. Cafes dont use crema enhancing filters amd so there is more "transparency" in the end product.

    Just because the brew has a crema on, especially if its old /or pre ground supermarket coffee where the crema is enhanced by use of a double wall filter, doesnt mean the coffee will cup well.

    Not all cafes makes the same quality of brew, even if they use the same bean supply and brand of equipment.

    You are in a no mans land of branding, trending and market positioning. That means, smoke and mirrors.

    So suggest go back to first two lines of this reply for simple answer, and simply trust your palate.

    Also, beware of making gross generalisations/.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by shoffecop View Post
    nope each espresso has been perfect, i have never thought i could make such amazing tasting coffee at home
    if this is what i can make with month old pregrinded coffee from the supermarkets i cant wait to get a grinder and see how the stuff i make with a fresh grind tastes.
    am i just going to the wrong cafes or is it that im such a coffee snob now that the only really good coffee is the one i make cause i know how i like it
    I live in a regional area where coffee ground or beans can only be obtained from our supermarket, when unable to get into Newcastle for a while, I have bought Gloria Jeans [ground] and it was good, second packet was awful, can tolerate Vittoria Arabica but my favourite is from Peabody's, freshly ground, at Lambton ... will be stocking up next week

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by balwoges View Post
    I live in a regional area where coffee ground or beans can only be obtained from our supermarket, when unable to get into Newcastle for a while, I have bought Gloria Jeans [ground] and it was good, second packet was awful, can tolerate Vittoria Arabica but my favourite is from Peabody's, freshly ground, at Lambton ... will be stocking up next week
    I called Vittoria once to see if the roasting date could be predicted by the "Best Before" date. They said the "Best Before" date is put one year ahead of the roasting date.

    If Port Stephens is indeed your home town, I mail order my beans from someone who lives there

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sydney, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by TOK View Post
    Just because the brew has a crema on, especially if its old /or pre ground supermarket coffee where the crema is enhanced by use of a double wall filter, doesnt mean the coffee will cup well.
    i dont go by crema i go by taste which is what i am referring to in my post

  7. #7
    TOK
    TOK is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    697
    Hi.

    You said "......im stuck with a double wall and this month old packet of pregrinded brand coffee bought from the supermarket that i dont even think is for espressos the first cup of coffee i made with this machine tasted better or just as good as any cafe ive been to and ive been to a lot....."

    Given most supermarket packs are ground for filter / plunger, it is hard to believe your brew is better than you get in a bunch of cafes. The coffee made with a double wall in a domestic machine with month old preground using a grind that isnt even for espresso, wont be anything like cafe coffee, bad or not. Not comparable in any way, and nothing to do with whether cafes use stale beans or not which as said before, is likely to be better than the generally older packs of coffee languishing in supermarkets.

    Anyways, if you buy a good suitable grinder and use fresh coffee beans you wont know yourself even if you continue to use the double walls.....

    goodluck

  8. #8
    Senior Member David8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Annerley, QLD
    Posts
    559
    Quote Originally Posted by TOK View Post
    Hi.

    You said "......im stuck with a double wall and this month old packet of pregrinded brand coffee bought from the supermarket that i dont even think is for espressos the first cup of coffee i made with this machine tasted better or just as good as any cafe ive been to and ive been to a lot....."

    Given most supermarket packs are ground for filter / plunger, it is hard to believe your brew is better than you get in a bunch of cafes. The coffee made with a double wall in a domestic machine with month old preground using a grind that isnt even for espresso, wont be anything like cafe coffee, bad or not. Not comparable in any way, and nothing to do with whether cafes use stale beans or not which as said before, is likely to be better than the generally older packs of coffee languishing in supermarkets.

    Anyways, if you buy a good suitable grinder and use fresh coffee beans you wont know yourself even if you continue to use the double walls.....

    goodluck
    The coarser grind is actually more suited to the dual wall baskets. When I was using my cheap Sunbeam, my coffee was significantly better than some of the chain stores... Then I moved to fresh ground coffee, and of course it's MUCH better. If the OP is happy with the coffee he's producing, that is all that matters at this stage.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,808
    so do coffee shops use stale beans?

    Once again, back on topic.
    To put it simply, some do and some don't, pretty easy to tell one from the other once you've sampled their wares.
    bhamilton likes this.

  10. #10
    Junior Member Salgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Kiama Downs, NSW
    Posts
    23
    Behmor Brazen - $249 - Free Freight
    Actually I have a hard time telling the difference between stale beans and badly brewed beans though I doubt many cafes would have year old beans. A lot of the tastes I thought were "stale bean " flavour are still coming through from my freshly roasted beans most likely because I still haven't mastered grind setting, dosing, temp, roast levels etc... In other words
    Quote Originally Posted by TOK View Post
    Not all cafes makes the same quality of brew, even if they use the same bean supply and brand of equipment.
    and fresh beans can be (ab)used to make worse coffee than stale ones (just ask me!)

    That said my few successes have been better than cafe espressos I've had (none yet from the "good coffee where" places, going to try to find some) but I think a lot of the cafes I go to don't expect you to order an espresso without milk and sugar.



Similar Threads

  1. What to do with beans that are a bit stale?
    By koti in forum Cup Tasting Room
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 4th April 2013, 09:07 AM
  2. Foul taste, are my beans stale?
    By shaneric in forum General Coffee Related...
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 15th November 2012, 11:56 PM
  3. Stale Beans and shelf life?
    By spoole in forum Roasted Bean Storage
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 13th April 2011, 09:31 AM
  4. Stale Beans ?
    By scollops in forum Home Roasting - Tips, Tricks, Ideas
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21st January 2011, 04:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •