Post By Vinitasse
I had a laugh Perhaps I should change jobs to selling the Ab-Swing-Pro! hahaha!
Originally Posted by Vinitasse
First of all, nIce effort on the death lead. The socket presumably cooked because you pulled up to 25A through a connection only rated for ten amps.
As for the cool little device, I can't think of many 15A-wired devices that wouldn't routinely draw more than ten amps. What's the point?
15 amp plugs have the big earth pin for a reason. So you can't plug them into a 10amp socket. Most of the 15amp devices will trip a 10amp rcd. The first time it may take a few minutes to trip. The second a little less. As the rcd heats up, it will trip faster and faster.
Of there is no rcd fitted to your power points, the resulting overload creates heat in the wiring, and melted wiring/fires.
It would be better to have rcds (and probably have the house rewired) than using this band aid solution. Have a 15amp circuit wired in while you are at it.
...and you can guarantee that any device that plugs into a 10 amp outlet and allows you to plug in a 15 amp device will NOT be approved for use in Australia, regardless of the amount of 'electrickery' contained inside it to prevent overloading....
Such devices may exist, and people routinely make/use/sell adapters like that, but that doesn't make them safe or legal, and electricians aren't immune from that stupidity. When we were setting up at MICE, the company providing all the power supply to the individual stands had lots of very illegal and dodgy cabling that they had obviously assembled specially, and was even tested and tagged! Some examples were one of these:
(32 amp 3 phase socket)
.....with the switch removed and a second outlet fitted in its place, and the pair attached to a short length of cable to a 32A 3 phase plug. Instant double adapter, allowing a 32 amp circuit to be overloaded by drawing 64 amps. And they had whole crates full of these!