Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree16Likes
  • 3 Post By Yelta
  • 2 Post By Dragunov21
  • 5 Post By Yelta
  • 1 Post By Jonathon
  • 5 Post By habahabanero

Thread: I defy you not to cringe

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    12

    I defy you not to cringe

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    From today's Sydney Morning Herald, what constitutes great coffee:

    Cafes Always Entertain | Traveller Essay

    "Italian baristas pride themselves on producing good crema on their coffees. It holds in the aroma and flavour and should momentarily support the sugar poured from those little sachets. When you've finished, the residue leaves a pale brown froth that creeps slowly down the sides of the cup. A crema that disappears rapidly indicates stale or inferior beans, or excessive roasting. Baristas often leave the empty cups standing on the bar top to prove the point. This is what I learn in Italy, beyond the confines of museum walls."

  2. #2
    Senior Member Dragunov21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,281
    Seems more like a discussion of cafe culture than quality coffee; I can't actually find much fault with that article.

    Different folks have different priorities/interests, that's all.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    7,134
    Must admit I found it to be quite a well written and entertaining article.
    fg1972, timdimdom and Dragunov21 like this.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    WA, perth
    Posts
    247
    agreed. a very pleasant read. =))

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    12
    I was referring only to her received assessment of what constitutes good beans in Italy, the supposed world benchmark of coffee. Sugar, yes, that's it. You need to put in sugar in it.

    All I can say is if you've never been to Italy, and you're expecting to find the "fourth wave of coffee" emerging there, you'll be sorely dissapointed.

    You're more likely to get a good cup in Berlin:

    Stil in Berlin — Guide: Third Wave Coffee in Berlin

  6. #6
    Senior Member Dragunov21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,281
    I guess I just don't get the drive to look down on the Italian coffee scene because the product isn't what we like. I assuming that the bittersweet flavour is intentional rather than ignorant.
    habahabanero and cafelazio like this.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    7,134
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragunov21 View Post
    I guess I just don't get the drive to look down on the Italian coffee scene because the product isn't what we like. I assuming that the bittersweet flavour is intentional rather than ignorant.
    Exactly, they make it the way they like it.

    The Italians gave us espresso in 1884 Espresso - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for that we can most certainly thank them, of course the process has evolved since then, the Italians make it to their own taste as do we Aussies.

    There is nothing to look down on, more to the point we should be showing them our eternal gratitude because without them we may not have espresso as we know it today.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    558
    To me it's a little like our V8 scene - I'd imagine many Italians would look down their noses at a big Aussie V8, compared to their more stylish cars with smaller engines, but there's room for both.

    Each to their own...
    Dragunov21 likes this.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by Kochman View Post
    All I can say is if you've never been to Italy, and you're expecting to find the "fourth wave of coffee" emerging there, you'll be sorely dissapointed.
    [/url]
    I think going to Italy expecting anything but Italian coffee would be daft, being disappointed about it would be naive. The great thing about coffee in Italy is the consistency of quality, you can stop anywhere for a coffee and NOT be disappointed, because you'll get a good Italian espresso. No citrus undertones or frangipani overtones or hipsters in sight. You don't need an app to pick the right cafe just because the average cafe is incapable of producing a palatable coffee.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    503
    Quote Originally Posted by habahabanero View Post
    I think going to Italy expecting anything but Italian coffee would be daft, being disappointed about it would be naive. The great thing about coffee in Italy is the consistency of quality, you can stop anywhere for a coffee and NOT be disappointed, because you'll get a good Italian espresso.
    I must have been terribly unfortunate when I went to Italy several years ago then. I tried a multitude of places and they all served bitter espresso (with attitude). The only good (GREAT) shots that I had were at the La Marzocco factory in Florence.

    From my experience, if you have a hankering for burnt tasting coffee, you will not be disappointed in Italy.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    12
    Behmor Brazen - $249 - Free Freight
    Quote Originally Posted by Paolo View Post
    I must have been terribly unfortunate when I went to Italy several years ago then. I tried a multitude of places and they all served bitter espresso (with attitude). The only good (GREAT) shots that I had were at the La Marzocco factory in Florence.

    From my experience, if you have a hankering for burnt tasting coffee, you will not be disappointed in Italy.
    Yep. But in fairness, if you want to try grappa, nocino or ice cream in your coffee they do that just great.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •