In 1883, Edgar Harold Harris, an English tea & coffee merchant, sailed the first Harris Coffee Clipper into Sydney Harbour, bringing with it the finest coffee beans sourced from around the world. He established E. H. Harris & Co. tea and coffee shop in Sydney’s prestigious Strand Arcade suppling premium grade, specialty teas and coffees and establishing a reputation for service and product quality.
In 1954 Harris began to enter the retail sector, roasting for health food retailers
, general grocery stores and for David Jones from the mid 1960s. The importance of broad distribution of the brand led Harris to be a pioneer in the nascent supermarket chains in the late 1950s.