Results 1 to 35 of 35
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Yelta
  • 1 Post By chokkidog
  • 1 Post By Yelta
  • 1 Post By Yelta
  • 1 Post By chokkidog
  • 1 Post By Ronin

Thread: Barista courses in Brisbane?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    4

    Barista courses in Brisbane?

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Which Barista course in Brisbane is good? I looked up on Google and the top 2 courses on the list are CoffeeSchool and BaristaBasics, the latter one seemed more popular from looking at the booking availability. Are they any good? I'm looking for one that actually has passion to teach how to make good coffee not just one that teaches the average skill that results in a Starbucks.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    North Shore, Sydney
    Posts
    47
    Both of them should be ok and will get you everything to make good espresso and understand all commercial setup. Only if you're semi pro and wanna get to another level, you will be disappointed. I just done the latter one in Sydney last week for whole day from 9-3pm @199, you will walk out the door with 4 certificates incl TAFE one (will be posting to you in 2 weeks) In a full class of 18 and most of them never drink coffee, I reckon these young kids wanna get a cert for job as barista. Having said that, the instructor has passion and keen on getting you to the right path.

    In case you wanna enhance your home barista techniques & understand your own machine (instead of the certificates), you'd better talk to our site sponsors in Brissie, they all have better barista courses than the general (money making) schools.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    170
    Cleanskin Coffee have one? As do Wolff Roasters

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    21
    +1 for Wolff, Peter Wolff is one of the best in the business Australia wide. His staff are just as passionate. Doing a course through him will give you a lot of cred in the specialty coffee industry compared to a more mainstream one.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by ibiza888 View Post
    Both of them should be ok and will get you everything to make good espresso and understand all commercial setup. Only if you're semi pro and wanna get to another level, you will be disappointed. I just done the latter one in Sydney last week for whole day from 9-3pm @199, you will walk out the door with 4 certificates incl TAFE one (will be posting to you in 2 weeks) In a full class of 18 and most of them never drink coffee, I reckon these young kids wanna get a cert for job as barista. Having said that, the instructor has passion and keen on getting you to the right path.

    In case you wanna enhance your home barista techniques & understand your own machine (instead of the certificates), you'd better talk to our site sponsors in Brissie, they all have better barista courses than the general (money making) schools.
    I want to get a job as a barista, but I also want to make really good coffee, mainly for myself thought my resume would look better if I have some form of experience in the area.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeyden View Post
    +1 for Wolff, Peter Wolff is one of the best in the business Australia wide. His staff are just as passionate. Doing a course through him will give you a lot of cred in the specialty coffee industry compared to a more mainstream one.
    I've heard a lot about Wolff. I looked on the site but it doesn't show the price, any idea how much it costs?

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    21
    Probably have to get in contact, I've only ever been interested in the roasting course so I'm not sure on the price. I'm guessing $200(?) but don't quote me.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    36
    Toby's Estate on Albert Street (CBD) are advertising some barista/roasting classes. I haven't taken them and don't know how much they cost, but they appear fairly in-depth (according to the brochure in their store)

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesjames View Post
    Toby's Estate on Albert Street (CBD) are advertising some barista/roasting classes. I haven't taken them and don't know how much they cost, but they appear fairly in-depth (according to the brochure in their store)
    They split up parts into different courses where normally would've been in one complete course and they each cost $150+ T_T Can't afford that

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by ibiza888 View Post
    Both of them should be ok and will get you everything to make good espresso and understand all commercial setup. Only if you're semi pro and wanna get to another level, you will be disappointed. I just done the latter one in Sydney last week for whole day from 9-3pm @199, you will walk out the door with 4 certificates incl TAFE one (will be posting to you in 2 weeks) In a full class of 18 and most of them never drink coffee, I reckon these young kids wanna get a cert for job as barista. Having said that, the instructor has passion and keen on getting you to the right path.

    In case you wanna enhance your home barista techniques & understand your own machine (instead of the certificates), you'd better talk to our site sponsors in Brissie, they all have better barista courses than the general (money making) schools.

    Hi Ibiza,

    How do you classify as semi pro? I know how to steam milk to get a proper foam and have basic knowledge on making espresso. I would like to fine tune and espresso making skills and the latte art.. What course do you recommend me to take? I'm learning for my own benefits, so I'm not bowyer about the certificate.

    Cheers,
    Bchong

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemeno View Post
    They split up parts into different courses where normally would've been in one complete course and they each cost $150+ T_T Can't afford that
    Hi Gemeno,

    Which courses did you take on the end and what do you think about the course? Looking to take up a course when I visit Brisbane next month.

    Cheers,
    Bchong

  12. #12
    Senior Member Luke_G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Northen Rivers
    Posts
    659
    @ Gemeno

    Passion and a willingness to learn quickly are trait i look for when hiring, not always experience.
    I would rather teach someone from scratch than correct bad habits/techniques.

    For example, the girl we have right now is a qualified chef that had never used an espresso machine till 2 weeks ago. I only have to show things once and rarely need to correct her on anything.
    She really wants to know what were teaching her.

    A certificate is a good start but if it has TAFE stamped on it, i quickly dismiss it's validity.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Erimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Kippa-Ring Qld
    Posts
    353
    Elixir coffee on Hayward Street do a course
    A very busy cafe with in roasting house. Had a brilliant estrato there two days ago.

    Not sure if I'm allowed to give a link or not mods? commercial link removed per site posting policy
    Last edited by Javaphile; 21st August 2014 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Commercial link(s) removed

  14. #14
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,820
    [QUOTE=Brevillista;538711]Elixir coffee on Hayward Street do a course
    A very busy cafe with in roasting house. Had a brilliant estrato there two days ago.

    Not sure if I'm allowed to give a link or not mods? commercial link removed per site posting policy

    "estrato" not familiar with this one, do you mean ristretto?
    Last edited by Javaphile; 21st August 2014 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Commercial link(s) removed

  15. #15
    Senior Member Vinitasse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Mornington Peninsula VIC
    Posts
    1,251
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    "estrato" not familiar with this one, do you mean ristretto?
    Could have been worse... could have been a double castretto
    Last edited by Vinitasse; 21st August 2014 at 04:33 PM.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    549
    Would it be worth asking if there is any CSers willing to share some knowledge?
    I have in the past (what little I have anyway) and would again if asked & time permits.
    In Brisbane too

  17. #17
    Senior Member Erimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Kippa-Ring Qld
    Posts
    353
    Well done Yelta, you spotted the deliberate error ;-)

  18. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2
    First time post...

    I'm doing a course with Cup Coffee at the Gabba tomorrow, so will report back in a few days.
    It's only for a couple hours, so don't expect it to be too in-depth and might be a little light for what you're looking for?

  19. #19
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,820
    Quote Originally Posted by Brevillista View Post
    Well done Yelta, you spotted the deliberate error ;-)
    Why!!!!
    Vinitasse likes this.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    First time post...

    I'm doing a course with Cup Coffee at the Gabba tomorrow, so will report back in a few days.
    It's only for a couple hours, so don't expect it to be too in-depth and might be a little light for what you're looking for?
    With Josh or Eva?
    Focus on one thing, eg shots as you'll get more out of it.
    Keep in mind that is only one way to make coffee and be open minded to the others as well
    If its still on the KVdW Mirage then enjoy the steam tap, strange feeling on that, for me anyway

  21. #21
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    With Josh or Eva?
    Focus on one thing, eg shots as you'll get more out of it.
    Keep in mind that is only one way to make coffee and be open minded to the others as well
    If its still on the KVdW Mirage then enjoy the steam tap, strange feeling on that, for me anyway
    We did an hour and 1/2 with Tom just going through grinds and extraction and the various permutations, we finished off with Eva for half hour or so on milk texturing.

    We certainly enjoyed our time and took a lot away from it.
    Ronin as you suggest it is one way to make coffee, I took a lot on board and would see it as opportunity to take those ideas and experiment and expand on them at home.

    Gemeno, Tom and Eva both seemed very accommodating and willing to tailor their time to what we were interested in or wanted to cover and at whatever level. I'd certainly recommend it to friends or others interested increasing their knowledge. If you're looking for the same it might be for you, if you're looking for a certificate or something to add to your CV jobwise, it might not be what you're looking for.

  22. #22
    Senior Member Erimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Kippa-Ring Qld
    Posts
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Why!!!!
    It's satire dear boy...

  23. #23
    Senior Member chokkidog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    2,095
    Please explain.... if estrato=Spainish for stratum or layer ..... where's the satire?
    Vinitasse likes this.

  24. #24
    Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PRL
    Posts
    2,592
    Maybe Brevilista means that his/her original statement was a 'deliberate error' was 'satire', not that the use of 'estrato' represented satire.

    Still not exactly satire, I know, but closer to the concept.

  25. #25
    Senior Member Erimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Kippa-Ring Qld
    Posts
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by chokkidog View Post
    Please explain.... if estrato=Spainish for stratum or layer ..... where's the satire?
    If you don't get it, forget it.

    Apart from that chill out

  26. #26
    Senior Member chokkidog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    2,095
    Thanks for the kind advice.

    By the way.... I do 'get it'.... precisely, honestly.

  27. #27
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,820
    Quote Originally Posted by Brevillista View Post
    It's satire dear boy...
    Is it really old chap, perhaps you would care to explain exactly what the satirical content conveys to we simple earth bases beings?
    chokkidog likes this.

  28. #28
    Senior Member Erimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Kippa-Ring Qld
    Posts
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Is it really old chap, perhaps you would care to explain exactly what the satirical content conveys to we simple earth bases beings?
    Do One!

    You've always got to have the last word and you're full of your own piss and importance.

  29. #29
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,820
    Quote Originally Posted by Brevillista View Post
    Do One!

    You've always got to have the last word and you're full of your own piss and importance.
    Think I'll just go and make myself an "estrato" instead.
    chokkidog likes this.

  30. #30
    Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PRL
    Posts
    2,592
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Think I'll just go and make myself an "estrato" instead.
    Wasn't he one of the actors on 'CHiPs'?

  31. #31
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,820
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
    Wasn't he one of the actors on 'CHiPs'?
    Close Barry, your thinking of Erik Estrada Erik Estrada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  32. #32
    Senior Member chokkidog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    2,095
    Estrato is now my drink of choice; great on its own and awesome with milk.

    It really cuts through.

    There is no satire.

    Just another unwarranted personal attack.

    But after a good day's work I'd much rather be full of %^&* and importance........

    than full of %^&* and wind.
    Vinitasse likes this.

  33. #33
    Senior Member Erimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Kippa-Ring Qld
    Posts
    353
    ^


    The clique strikes again

  34. #34
    Super Moderator scoota_gal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    4,126
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Would it be worth asking if there is any CSers willing to share some knowledge?
    I have in the past (what little I have anyway) and would again if asked & time permits.
    In Brisbane too
    I can recall a time when we used to do this a bit. Seems to have dropped off over the years.

    I'm always happy to impart knowledge to people but living out in the back of beyond limits me a bit. Unless of course CS'rs want a holiday! haha.

    Ronin maybe if you started a separate thread about it, you could gauge some interest and see if it will happen?

  35. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    549
    Behmor Brazen - $249 - Free Freight
    Quote Originally Posted by scoota_gal View Post
    I can recall a time when we used to do this a bit. Seems to have dropped off over the years.

    I'm always happy to impart knowledge to people but living out in the back of beyond limits me a bit. Unless of course CS'rs want a holiday! haha.

    Ronin maybe if you started a separate thread about it, you could gauge some interest and see if it will happen?

    Thanks for getting the thread back on track Scoots
    I'm not interested in doing it commercially, just threw the offer out there if someone wants to PM me and time permits. Not interested in money.
    Good idea though if someone wants to start a thread about it.
    scoota_gal likes this.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •