Results 1 to 29 of 29
Like Tree10Likes
  • 4 Post By Bosco_Lever
  • 1 Post By TC
  • 4 Post By Casa Espresso
  • 1 Post By shortblackman

Thread: la pavoni and european sites?

  1. #1
    Senior Member 3rutu5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    102

    la pavoni and european sites?

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    hey guys first poster right here....

    i'm wanting to buy a la pavoni lever espresso machine and even though i want to buy from a local distributor, they are few and far between for these particular items and i cannot go passed the fact that even with a shipping fee of 90 euro, it is still under half the cost of getting one here.

    so has anybody bought anthing from here?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Newcastle NSW
    Posts
    179
    Welcome to coffeesnobs! If price is your primary concern then there are certainly overseas suppliers and online sites that can provide cheaper goods. If you are after outstanding after sales service please try one of the site sponsors, i am yet to be disappointed and more than happy to support local business that tries to deliver more than just products. I suggest try contact sponsor link, it doesn't cost you a dime, who knows may be there is an offer that may meet your requirement.
    Enjoy your coffee journey, you are among friends here

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    West Footscray, Melbourne
    Posts
    207
    Hey 3rutu5,

    Have you looked at site sponsor jetblack espresso? They have a couple of La Pavoni models, which are definitely not double the price of the site you mentioned. As Bazooka said after sales service is a huge plus, as well as a warranty, and also Australian compliance when it comes to the electrics.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sweden/Germany
    Posts
    141
    don't forget the customs duties you have to pay.
    and also don't forget when the machine gets broken and its still guarantee on it.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PRL
    Posts
    2,615
    Welcome 3rutu5, you might want to lose the link the non-sponsor site.........best to read the site rules before commencing one's post career.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Dandenongs
    Posts
    632
    Casa espresso if in Melbourne.

  7. #7
    Senior Member 3rutu5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveD View Post
    Hey 3rutu5,

    Have you looked at site sponsor jetblack espresso? They have a couple of La Pavoni models, which are definitely not double the price of the site you mentioned. As Bazooka said after sales service is a huge plus, as well as a warranty, and also Australian compliance when it comes to the electrics.
    yes mate, i have along with a heap of others locally. i want the La Pavoni Professional which retails locally from $1100-1300.
    in europe it is 487 euro (so about 710 AUD). i must admit when i made that statement i was doing a comparision between pro here and eurocuppo there which was a mistake on my behalf.

    if i could by one in australia even for 800ish i would, because i could probably wonder down to the store and give it a crack.

    but i will try and take down the link from my original post.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Bosco_Lever's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    QLD
    Posts
    441
    You are forgetting a few things.
    487 euros is not 710 AUD. You will be charged currency conversion fee of around 2-3 %. So that makes it $760. Add freight, $140 (90Euro) and you have $900.
    Wishful thinking you will get one for $800ish here.
    The cheapest here is $1049, which includes GST, and an Australian warranty. (about $953 + gst).
    By buying overseas all you save is $50 plus avoid paying gst to our govt.

    Is the lack of warranty worth the saving?

  9. #9
    Senior Member 3rutu5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosco_Lever View Post
    You are forgetting a few things.
    487 euros is not 710 AUD. You will be charged currency conversion fee of around 2-3 %. So that makes it $760. Add freight, $140 (90Euro) and you have $900.
    Wishful thinking you will get one for $800ish here.
    The cheapest here is $1049, which includes GST, and an Australian warranty. (about $953 + gst).
    By buying overseas all you save is $50 plus avoid paying gst to our govt.

    Is the lack of warranty worth the saving?
    Very good point. Completely glazed over the freight as well...must of got caught up in the hype of such an awesome machine. I might try and see if someone in Brisbane sells them
    Last edited by 3rutu5; 21st June 2015 at 08:49 AM.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    56
    there is no conversion charge if you pay with 28Degrees mastercard! I use this card for all my international transactions.

  11. #11
    Senior Member 3rutu5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    102
    I'm going to go out on a limb here....you have lever in your nick, so do you have one? I've heard the lever espresso machines (doesn't matter what brand) make an awesome shot providing you get the grind right. And if maintained they last a while

    If yes, did you get yours locally on the coast? I work around Southport but live in Brisbane and dying to see one in action (as in shop not your house, just in case you thought I was stalking)

  12. #12
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665
    Keep in mind that a toy lever- and I'd include La Pavoni and PV Lusso in that description, has pretty much zero in common (including performance and shot quality) with a commercial spring lever.
    Casa Espresso likes this.

  13. #13
    Senior Member 3rutu5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    Keep in mind that a toy lever- and I'd include La Pavoni and PV Lusso in that description, has pretty much zero in common (including performance and shot quality) with a commercial spring lever.
    Yes, i m aware that domestic and commercial coffee machines are like Toyotas vs Ferrari's. I'm seen reviews of the toy levers and that's what I've seen/read. So anything I talk about here is purely going to be coming from a machine in a domestic sense.

    I've currently got a mixture of various stove top percolators I've collected throughout my adult life and thrown away a series of rubbish espresso machines (delongi/sunbeam etc).

    So just to be clear and to try and avoid the flaming for asking a question and not spending money on a commercial unit, the bulk of my coffee brewed is on a stove before work and I'm only looking at a domestic lever machine for weekends.

    Ive heard that the toy units pull a great shot once working out the grind and I've also heard that replacing the seals annually and good cleaning regimes will allow you to keep such a machine for many years to come. I don't want a isomac or similar just yet, I will wait for that.

  14. #14
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rutu5 View Post
    So just to be clear and to try and avoid the flaming...
    No flaming implied, nor intended. These is however plenty of misinformation on the internerd and we don't need more of that.

    If you nail it with a toy lever such as as a Pav, you can expect at best 2 good shots before it cooks itself. Buy whatever you choose, but go in fully informed, not misinformed based on what you have heard.

    I have plenty of toys on my shelves as well. Some are there so I can admire their external design rather than attempt to use them.

  15. #15
    Senior Member 3rutu5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    102
    OK cheers for the advice. I didn't think I saw them on your site

  16. #16
    Senior Member Dragunov21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,281
    Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    If you nail it with a toy lever such as as a Pav, you can expect at best 2 good shots before it cooks itself.
    If you are only making 2 shots in a short period of time, this isn't exactly an issue. Europiccolas might have limited capability, but you can get really tasty espresso from them, IME.

  17. #17
    Senior Member 3rutu5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    102
    I think on rare occasions I may have need to pull more than a couple shots, so I guess I would just need to wait for the process to do its thing all over again.

    As much as I would love to by a more commercial lever setup, which I assume would be similar to the izzo setup like talk_coffee has brought to his shop (a single lever would loom awesome though). I just don't think my usuage would justify the initial outlay. My oldman got a awesome machine for his 60th which may or may not be a isomac or maybe starts with a v.....basic looking but makes a damn awesome coffee...

  18. #18
    Senior Member Bosco_Lever's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    QLD
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rutu5 View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb here....you have lever in your nick, so do you have one? I've heard the lever espresso machines (doesn't matter what brand) make an awesome shot providing you get the grind right. And if maintained they last a while

    If yes, did you get yours locally on the coast? I work around Southport but live in Brisbane and dying to see one in action (as in shop not your house, just in case you thought I was stalking)
    I have the machine in my avatar. It is big, and needs to be plumbed in. Coffee Roasters Australia are the importers and have a 2 group Bosco on display. They are in Arundel. Blue sky coffee in Newstead have a beautiful VA lever in their shop. You can try an espresso from this and a pump machine, side by side.
    I believe there is a coffee shop with a lever machine, somewhere in the Miami/Mermaid Beach area. Not 100% sure.
    The quality of the shot depends upon the barista. Correct dose and grind is essential for any machine.
    I am biased, and prefer the espresso from a lever, but still enjoy the product from a pump machine. But that is me, and you must realize, your palette will change and develop.
    For home use, if your budget permits, the following machines have a commercial spring lever, with a domestic footprint:
    -Bezzera Strega
    -Londinium L1 (not the L1-P)
    -Izzo Alex Leva.

    The importers for Bezzera are based in Brisbane, so you can have a play with one, and see if you like the way a lever works.
    Have never owned any of the toy levers, but have had espresso from them. Very nice, but only intended for one or two at a time.

    Keep looking and asking (all questions are welcomed), the replies you get are not meant to intimidate, as frankness is difficult to convey via the keyboard.
    Good luck with your search.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Bosco_Lever's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    QLD
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by sailor View Post
    there is no conversion charge if you pay with 28Degrees mastercard! I use this card for all my international transactions.
    Thanks for the heads up.

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    25
    The Europiccola with the chrome base can be bought online shipped from Italy for 650AUD which includes shipping.
    Buying it locally would cost 1,050AUD. The Professional can also be bought for 900AUD from Italy.

    Seems like a no brainer to me.

  21. #21
    Site Sponsor Casa Espresso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    747
    Hi all,

    We are importers and distributors of La Pavoni and Elektra.

    All I can say about buying from overseas is "buyer beware". I am sure there will plenty out there who will cry "vested interest" at our end, and that is fine.

    If you are interested in a genuine price, service and support on a La Pavoni, Elektra or Bezzera then give us a call

    regards

    Antony
    Casa Espresso
    Dimal, GreenBeanGenii, TC and 1 others like this.

  22. #22
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665
    Quote Originally Posted by Casa Espresso View Post
    Hi all,

    We are importers and distributors of La Pavoni and Elektra.

    All I can say about buying from overseas is "buyer beware". I am sure there will plenty out there who will cry "vested interest" at our end, and that is fine.

    If you are interested in a genuine price, service and support on a La Pavoni, Elektra or Bezzera then give us a call

    regards

    Antony
    Casa Espresso
    Hello 3rutu5,

    Can I also add that we have done business with Antony and found him to be a great operator of the highest integrity. He's also a nice bloke.

    I'm certain that you will be in good hands and receive a far superior level of service that you would if dealing with a stranger over 10k km away.

    Chris

  23. #23
    Senior Member 3rutu5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosco_Lever View Post
    I have the machine in my avatar. It is big, and needs to be plumbed in. Coffee Roasters Australia are the importers and have a 2 group Bosco on display. They are in Arundel. Blue sky coffee in Newstead have a beautiful VA lever in their shop. You can try an espresso from this and a pump machine, side by side.
    I believe there is a coffee shop with a lever machine, somewhere in the Miami/Mermaid Beach area. Not 100% sure.
    The quality of the shot depends upon the barista. Correct dose and grind is essential for any machine.
    I am biased, and prefer the espresso from a lever, but still enjoy the product from a pump machine. But that is me, and you must realize, your palette will change and develop.
    For home use, if your budget permits, the following machines have a commercial spring lever, with a domestic footprint:
    -Bezzera Strega
    -Londinium L1 (not the L1-P)
    -Izzo Alex Leva.

    The importers for Bezzera are based in Brisbane, so you can have a play with one, and see if you like the way a lever works.
    Have never owned any of the toy levers, but have had espresso from them. Very nice, but only intended for one or two at a time.

    Keep looking and asking (all questions are welcomed), the replies you get are not meant to intimidate, as frankness is difficult to convey via the keyboard.
    Good luck with your search.
    thanks for the recommendations. I will have to go for a bit of a recon drive and check out some of these machines in person. Once of the reasons i'm so interested in the level, is a couple of reasons. I like the idea of no circuit boards in it, just a good old boiler, couple of seals and a bit of manual labour.

    originally i only intended on having a couple of shots then it sitting there probably until a couple of days until the next time. But in saying that, my wife is a barista who can make a mean coffee, but wont drink it....so there is the possibility that if guests are around there could be a need for more than just 2 or 3.

    So not sure if the la pavoni is a spring lever, but was also reading about the other toy lever in a PV Export, any clue if this is a 1-2 shot wonder like the other toys out there?
    Last edited by 3rutu5; 3rd July 2015 at 09:43 PM.

  24. #24
    Senior Member 3rutu5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    102
    thanks guys for the responses. I'm going to use the information learnt here to make an informed decision. Lucky for me i have around a month until i'll be diving into a lever. should give me a bit of time to find something that suits my needs.

    book marked most of the sponsors sites and some are quite reasonable in their prices, so i think the original ideas of buying from italy may be out of the picture.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Dandenongs
    Posts
    632
    Pump??? Where???

    Pavoni is not a spring lever. I think the term is " direct lever"(?). Same as PV I think. That is , lift lever for pre infusion, and press poem for shot . Spring is course the opposite. Pull down & hold , then release for shot. Cool.

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Dandenongs
    Posts
    632
    Poem? Down.


    dont forget to let us know how you go.

  27. #27
    Senior Member 3rutu5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    102
    Yeah thanks for that, meant to say boiler. I read some where that the other one pv is a spring lever, but it could have been the bigger unit

  28. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Dandenongs
    Posts
    632
    Ok, interesting. Mine is a professional, which I chose for the gauge! The europiccola has no gauge and smaller boiler as you probably know.

    If youre considering a pav: you might want to consider that The boiler size is moot, as you wouldn't need make the - what is it? - 8? Cups in a sitting with it. Because of the limitation of the machine discussed above, you never use the capacity of the larger (& probably not the smaller) boiler anyway.
    Start with it full...
    coz' you can't refill it while its hot/ under pressure!!
    3rutu5 likes this.

  29. #29
    Senior Member 3rutu5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    102
    Behmor Brazen - $249 - Free Freight
    Great to hear somebody who has one the euro one sounds just as good.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •