Results 1 to 24 of 24
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Keithy
  • 1 Post By LeroyC
  • 1 Post By samuellaw178

Thread: T64 Pofitec Grinder purchase !

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    6

    T64 Pofitec Grinder purchase !

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Just like to give Paul at dodgy x a big thank you for his very good price and quick service on getting me my new grinder organised and sent out to me.
    Thanks Mate it's an awesome grinder and looks the Biz on my bench top can't wait to see the Pro700 sat next to it
    cheers
    Keithy
    Dimal likes this.

  2. #2
    Senior Member readeral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,091
    Enjoy. I have appreciated having a T64. Make sure you pull out the burr to clean every so often. Can get a bit caked up in there. Obviously your regularity is dependent on your throughput.

  3. #3
    Senior Member readeral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,091
    I vacuum it weekly, and additionally whenever I change coffees. I take out the top burr every two months to brush it out, but haven't done anything further. I use 750g-1kg a fortnight.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    6
    Hi Readeral
    if you get five minutes maybe you would be so kind as to run me through your process in cleaning it,, as I want to look after it and give it some TLC ����
    yes you have just posted while I was
    what brush do you recommend to use
    I will be using similar amounts of coffee too

  5. #5
    Senior Member readeral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,091
    Quote Originally Posted by Keithy View Post
    Hi Readeral
    if you get five minutes maybe you would be so kind as to run me through your process in cleaning it,, as I want to look after it and give it some TLC **
    Regards
    It's kind of blind leading the blind here Keith, very little about pulling this grinder down available online and nothing in the instructions!

    I shove a vacuum up against the grill after taking the lid off the funnel (don't vacuum from the bottom of the funnel..) and use a wooden skewer to knock out any grinds that might have caked up into the corners of the grill.

    I also take the hopper off, give it a good clean in soapy water, and vacuum out the burrs from there, and brushing out any obvious grinds.

    When I take the top burr out, I've marked the burr holder so I know where to put it back in, and give it a thorough brushing out with a small toothbrush and some other tools, and again go at it with a vacuum. At some point I should probably take the burrs from their carriers and wash them, but will probably ask JetBlack for advice before I do that!

    I recommend you pull out the hopper tab that keeps the beans in the hopper when you lift it off, as it narrows the chute more significantly than I think they intended when designing it, and I've found my grounds to be more consistent since doing so. You can always (and I do) push it back in for when you're grinding out the chamber before removing the hopper.

  6. #6
    Senior Member readeral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,091
    Make sure you have a perfectly snug Allen key as well for pulling out the screws - mine didn't quite fit first time (bit small) and has cosmetically damaged the screws, and had I not changed Allen key sets, might've caused functional damage down the track

  7. #7
    Senior Member readeral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,091
    Well.. I want it to last as long as possible, and also I change origins regularly enough that I don't want oil taint in my coffees. Nothing grosses me out more than walking into a cafe where their bean hoppers have a smokey tinge to them where you can tell that they aren't cleaned regularly.

    I quarter to half fill my hopper with 250g-ish, that gives me the most consistent grind output - topping up as often as I have the same batch of coffee available - and I just put up with the fact that it'll stale sooner. It's used within 2 or 3 days anyway. Rather than adjusting my grind as I'm running out of a batch of coffee, I updose a little more. It's usually only an issue for the last 2 coffees anyway.

    If you're going to be single dosing (which I don't recommend with this grinder to be honest) you'll need to keep the little slider in, and close it before you start grinding (or once all of your coffee has sunk below it). This grinder is plenty happy to spit a bean or two back up into the hopper. A better solution to single dosing would be to ditch the hopper altogether.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by readeral View Post
    Well.. I want it to last as long as possible, and also I change origins regularly enough that I don't want oil taint in my coffees. Nothing grosses me out more than walking into a cafe where their bean hoppers have a smokey tinge to them where you can tell that they aren't cleaned regularly.

    I quarter to half fill my hopper with 250g-ish, that gives me the most consistent grind output - topping up as often as I have the same batch of coffee available - and I just put up with the fact that it'll stale sooner. It's used within 2 or 3 days anyway. Rather than adjusting my grind as I'm running out of a batch of coffee, I updose a little more. It's usually only an issue for the last 2 coffees anyway.

    If you're going to be single dosing (which I don't recommend with this grinder to be honest) you'll need to keep the little slider in, and close it before you start grinding (or once all of your coffee has sunk below it). This grinder is plenty happy to spit a bean or two back up into the hopper. A better solution to single dosing would be to ditch the hopper altogether.
    Do you find that your grinder takes the beans from the left hand side of the hopper ?

  9. #9
    Senior Member readeral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,091
    Yeah it would do - that's the reason I took the slider out in the first place - I don't want to be feeding my burrs unevenly. I don't know if that's a thing, it may not be a thing, don't turn it into a weird coffee folklore issue, but I still chose to take out the slider anyway _just_in_case_ it changed the resulting grind.

  10. #10
    Senior Member skidquinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    143
    Hi Gents - very interested in this grinder. Considering parting with my Robur-e and options at this stage are the T64, Rocket Fausto or Compak E5.
    How did you guys settle on the T64?

    I would assume (but have not tested) that grind quality on these grinders is comparable?? I'd want the new grinder to be quiet, quick and create as little mess as possible. And to look slick.

    Paul - how come you moved away from the K10 and kept the T64? I thought you loved that grinder? Was the blind test final decision point?

    Also, don't tell me to keep the Robur......

    Also, anyone know of anywhere in/around Brisbane that stocks all three grinders I mentioned?

    Cheers
    Greg

  11. #11
    Senior Member readeral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,091
    I've written a review on the T64, it might help you. Have a search for it. I've never owned a Fausto or E5 so can't help there, but the T64 fits your requirements ok.

    Paul kept the K10, not the T64.

  12. #12
    Senior Member readeral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,091
    Here is my review: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/grinders/4...ew-2016-a.html
    Here is a thread where a site sponsor suggests the T64 and the Rocket are comparable: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/grinders/4...re-fausto.html

    To my knowledge the only Site Sponsor that carries all three is Di Bartoli. Unfortunately for you, they're in Sydney.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    West Footscray, Melbourne
    Posts
    207
    [/QUOTE]
    Paul kept the K10, not the T64.[/QUOTE]

    Actually I think Paul kept the T64 and sold the K10 for a bargain.

    See post 176 of the following thread http://coffeesnobs.com.au/grinders/4...c-no-more.html

  14. #14
    Senior Member readeral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,091
    Oh right, I stopped following that thread when it became ridiculous. Entropy as epitomised by the internet.

    For some reason I thought Keithy's T64 was the one that had been used in the head-to-head. I guess not! I personally think these T64s rock, so I'm glad Paul kept his

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    West Footscray, Melbourne
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by readeral View Post
    Oh right, I stopped following that thread when it became ridiculous. Entropy as epitomised by the internet.
    Yep, understandable!

  16. #16
    Senior Member skidquinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by readeral View Post
    I've written a review on the T64, it might help you. Have a search for it. I've never owned a Fausto or E5 so can't help there, but the T64 fits your requirements ok.

    Paul kept the K10, not the T64.
    Thanks mate. Had found your review previously and found it super helpful. Made me more interested in this grinder.

    I may have a talk to Ofra and see if I can fit in a visit on my next work trip down.
    Thanks

  17. #17
    Senior Member LeroyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Woodend, New Zealand
    Posts
    2,247

    T64 Pofitec Grinder purchase !

    I saw the T-64 in the flesh at Jet Black a couple of months ago. I was surprised and disappointed with its finish. It just looked a bit cheap. I'm a realist and at the end of the day function takes precedence over form for me (if you've seen my Bialetti machine and accompanying Franken-grinder you'll appreciate this), but I was still a bit surprised by this grinder. From an aesthetic point of view it was my least favourite on the bench at Jet Black. What do you guys that own one think?

  18. #18
    Site Sponsor
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Frenchs Forest NSW
    Posts
    751
    Quote Originally Posted by readeral View Post
    Here is my review: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/grinders/4...ew-2016-a.html
    Here is a thread where a site sponsor suggests the T64 and the Rocket are comparable: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/grinders/4...re-fausto.html

    To my knowledge the only Site Sponsor that carries all three is Di Bartoli. Unfortunately for you, they're in Sydney.
    We stock all 3 too now and have all 3 on our demo bench,

    charlie

  19. #19
    Senior Member skidquinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by LeroyC View Post
    I saw the T-64 in the flesh at Jet Black a couple of months ago. I was surprised and disappointed with its finish. It just looked a bit cheap. I'm a realist and at the end of the day function takes precedence over form for me (if you've seen my Bialetti machine and accompanying Franken-grinder you'll appreciate this), but I was still a bit surprised by this grinder. From an aesthetic point of view it was my least favourite on the bench at Jet Black. What do you guys that own one think?
    Interesting you say this Leroy. Haven't seen one in the flesh, but from videos and photos I thought its finish looked like one of its selling points?
    And I have seen your Bialetti..... as well as the shots you get out of it!! Chalk and cheese those two!

  20. #20
    Senior Member readeral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,091
    Quote Originally Posted by JetBlack_Espresso View Post
    We stock all 3 too now and have all 3 on our demo bench,

    charlie
    Nice work! You guys must have one of the most diverse ranges in the country at the moment.

  21. #21
    Senior Member readeral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,091
    Quote Originally Posted by LeroyC View Post
    I saw the T-64 in the flesh at Jet Black a couple of months ago. I was surprised and disappointed with its finish. It just looked a bit cheap. I'm a realist and at the end of the day function takes precedence over form for me (if you've seen my Bialetti machine and accompanying Franken-grinder you'll appreciate this), but I was still a bit surprised by this grinder. From an aesthetic point of view it was my least favourite on the bench at Jet Black. What do you guys that own one think?
    I really like it. I must say at first glance the portafilter holder didn't look very sturdy and cheapened it's look a bit, but it is surprisingly robust. I guess there's room for improvement there for perceived build quality.
    But as far as polish and looks go for the rest of it, breaking out of the classic Mazzer et al approach, I think this one really works. It's definitely going for a particular style - feels very German like it's heritage, (or possibly just a Modernist vibe) - but it definitely works with the Chrome Box type machines IMHO. They look great side by side. They've taken a risk, and I think it works.

    Personally I prefer the Profitec look of the funnel on the front than the chute of the ECM automatik 64, but that's each to their own.

    For those not so keen on the square design (or the portafilter bracket) look at the soon to arrive ECM V-Titan 64. Any word on that one coming into Australia Charlie?

  22. #22
    Senior Member LeroyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Woodend, New Zealand
    Posts
    2,247
    Quote Originally Posted by K_Bean_Coffee View Post
    Maybe having it next to a Profitec machine is the key. They really match up nicely.
    I was at Jet Black Paul, soooo.........

  23. #23
    Senior Member LeroyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Woodend, New Zealand
    Posts
    2,247

    T64 Pofitec Grinder purchase !

    Ok, maybe it was just a first impression. One that wouldn't necessarily last. To be fair it was a well used demo machine I was looking at and I didn't even have time to really check out fully let alone use it. I'm glad everyone that owns one is happy with it.
    kbc likes this.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    367
    Behmor Brazen - $249 - Free Freight
    Damn..that 'shiny boxy' Profitec lever is looking really sharp there!
    kbc likes this.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •