Results 1 to 19 of 19
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Boggas
  • 1 Post By readeral
  • 1 Post By Dimal
  • 1 Post By Dimal

Thread: Timer for pre-heating?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    64

    Timer for pre-heating?

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Guys,

    How many of you use a timer attached to your power outlet to switch your machines on in the morning for pre-heating? I can see the convenience - but can't seem to find any with built in surge protection.

    Thanks,

    Paul

  2. #2
    Senior Member skidquinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    143
    Hi Paul. I use one. Doesn't have surge protection, but i wasn't aware that was an option.
    I think you'll probably find most people do use a timer, but will let others comment.

  3. #3
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    16,770
    Decent quality Surge Protection isn't a bad idea. Belkin make some, don't know about incorporated timers though...

    Mal.

  4. #4
    Senior Member artman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,411
    Presumably you have the machine plugged into surge protection currently? Just plug the timer into the surge protector. Or am I missing something here?

    I have been using the Arlec wifi switch. It's great being able to switch the machine on remotely heading home.

    Cheers

  5. #5
    Member Boggas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    58
    I use a belkin wemo insight switch. The ability to set rules on my smart phone coupled with remotely turning my coffee machine on from anywhere using my phone allows me to always give my HX machine at least 45min to warm up properly.

    It doesn't have surge protection built in though I feel it is reasonably low risk as there is no PCBs or super sensitive electronics in my HX machine, however as artman said I couldn't see why you couldn't piggy back a timer onto a surge protector.
    Caps likes this.

  6. #6
    Senior Member readeral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,091
    I use a Wemo Insight switch as well. You can do a heap of cool things with a bit of internet savvy.
    Caps likes this.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    115
    +1 for the Wemo.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by artman View Post
    Presumably you have the machine plugged into surge protection currently? Just plug the timer into the surge protector. Or am I missing something here?
    Cheers

    Cool - thanks guys. I normally like to have surge protection on expensive gear and was just trying to avoid having multiple connectors. We also don't have a lot of bench space to have a powerboard where the espresso machine, kettle, currently reside. I find it odd that there isn't easy availability of a timer with inbuilt surge protection :-) Am going to buy a new machine shortly, so haven't bothered with surge on my Venezia as yet. Just thinking about options.

    I didn't know about the Wemo - will check it out. Can you program it so that it turns the unit on automatically at a set time each day?

    Thank you.

    Paul

  9. #9
    Member Boggas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by pgseye View Post
    Cool - thanks guys. I normally like to have surge protection on expensive gear and was just trying to avoid having multiple connectors. We also don't have a lot of bench space to have a powerboard where the espresso machine, kettle, currently reside. I find it odd that there isn't easy availability of a timer with inbuilt surge protection :-) Am going to buy a new machine shortly, so haven't bothered with surge on my Venezia as yet. Just thinking about options.

    I didn't know about the Wemo - will check it out. Can you program it so that it turns the unit on automatically at a set time each day?

    Thank you.

    Paul
    There is a fair amount of control based on day, time, sunrise/sunset and the list goes on.

    I am pretty sure the Belkin website will have a really good description of the functions

    The insight switch gives you the same as the switch but with power monitoring incase you like to see how much power is being used by your machine.

  10. #10
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    16,770
    Quote Originally Posted by Boggas View Post
    It doesn't have surge protection built in though I feel it is reasonably low risk as there is no PCBs or super sensitive electronics in my HX machine
    It'd be an unusual HX machine that didn't incorporate electronics of some description.
    Even my 35+ year old Bezzera BZ-35 machine has some basic electronics installed (including propriety ICs)...

    Mal.
    Deano likes this.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by pgseye View Post
    I didn't know about the Wemo - will check it out. Can you program it so that it turns the unit on automatically at a set time each day?
    Yep, I have mine set to come on 30mins before my alarm goes off. Then it is set to turn off after I have left for work just in case I forget to turn it off. Then it is set to turn on 30 mins before I get home. I have different times set for weekends. The Wemo is setup to be connected to your home wifi so you can also turn the power on and off remotely via the app on your phone or mobile device.

    You can set as many different times or 'rules' for different days as you please.

  12. #12
    Member Boggas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    It'd be an unusual HX machine that didn't incorporate electronics of some description.
    Even my 35+ year old Bezzera BZ-35 machine has some basic electronics installed (including propriety ICs)...

    Mal.
    Thanks Mal my statement was a touch misleading and not my intent. There is some electronics in my machine, however not in the same volume as other devices I would consider more sensitive devices.

    I do use surge protection on some devices at home but I have to draw the line somewhere. The coffee machine is in the same category as the fridge, washer and other very expensive kitchen appliances I own.

    I am not an electrical engineer so I'm not suggesting this is the right or wrong approach it is just my approach.

  13. #13
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    16,770
    Each to their own of course but quality protection is very cheap insurance...

    Mal.

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Illawarra NSW
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by pgseye View Post
    Cool - thanks guys. I normally like to have surge protection on expensive gear and was just trying to avoid having multiple connectors. We also don't have a lot of bench space to have a powerboard where the espresso machine, kettle, currently reside. I find it odd that there isn't easy availability of a timer with inbuilt surge protection :-) Am going to buy a new machine shortly, so haven't bothered with surge on my Venezia as yet. Just thinking about options.

    I didn't know about the Wemo - will check it out. Can you program it so that it turns the unit on automatically at a set time each day?

    Thank you.

    Paul
    Hi paul,

    Why don't you fit a double GPO with surge protection built in? Like this? https://www.sparkydirect.com.au/p/55...-2025sfwe.html

    Then use a Belkin Wemo to control it. Its great because you can control it from anywhere via wi-fi with your smartphone and set multiple days/times. So say you go away and forget to turn it off, you can remotely disable via your phone.

  15. #15
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    16,770
    Can be found for much cheaper than this though...

    Mal.

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Illawarra NSW
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    Can be found for much cheaper than this though...

    Mal.
    Yeah sure can, all depends on brand, quality and look your after. That was just an example, clipsal usually is expensive.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    64
    Thanks for the tips - I will check these out. I hadn't thought about surge protection being relative to the sensitivity of the electronic componentry - but of course that makes sense. More important for a computer than a coffee machine. I don't think I've ever really had need for surge protection - power supply seems to be quite constant (eastern suburbs of Melbourne), but then again I probably wouldn't know whether the gear I do currently have protected (computer, TV, audio, etc) would have been affected without it.

  18. #18
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    16,770
    Quote Originally Posted by Airsk View Post
    Yeah sure can, all depends on brand, quality and look your after. That was just an example, clipsal usually is expensive.
    Was referring to the exact same item....

    Mal.
    Airsk likes this.

  19. #19
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    16,770
    Behmor Brazen - $249 - Free Freight
    Quote Originally Posted by pgseye View Post
    I hadn't thought about surge protection being relative to the sensitivity of the electronic componentry - but of course that makes sense. More important for a computer than a coffee machine.
    That would be an incorrect assumption...



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •