View Poll Results: Rate your coffee making skills.

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • God shot, seldom attained = Nirvana.

    0 0%
  • Excellent. Everybody enjoys my coffee, compliments abound.

    18 27.27%
  • Very good, I recieve frequent compliments.

    35 53.03%
  • Average, I enjoy the fruits of my labour.

    9 13.64%
  • Pretty ordinary, most cafes serve better.

    2 3.03%
  • Drinkable to me (just)

    1 1.52%
  • Why do I bother?

    0 0%
  • My girlfriend likes it.

    0 0%
  • My Wife likes it.

    0 0%
  • Abysmal, undrinkable, only fit for the sink.

    1 1.52%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 58
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Rate your coffee making skills. Poll.

  1. #1
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,815

    Rate your coffee making skills. Poll.

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Rate your coffee making skills. Poll.

    Given the large amount of activity on this forum and the vast amount of advice given, on every coffee related subject ranging from electrics to water, I've been contemplating the coffee making skills of Coffee Snob members, and, more to the point how they perceive their own skills.

    Will grade the poll from 1 the best, almost unattainable, down to 10 abysmal/undrinkable.

    Be honest, the votes are anonymous so no embarrassment factor involved, results could be enlightening.

    PS hope I get the poll right, shame we cant edit after setting up, always seem to find room for improvement after hitting the button.
    kbc and RavenMad like this.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Magic_Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northlandia
    Posts
    1,365
    Interesting. My expectation is that, like driving, most people will rate themselves as well above average.

    Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that in a self-selecting group.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Magic_Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northlandia
    Posts
    1,365
    Quote Originally Posted by K_Bean_Coffee View Post
    Nice one Yelta.
    Who's brave enough to start off?
    Not me
    My vote is in

    Quick, someone else vote so they don't know which option I voted for!
    kbc and Smee like this.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,815
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Matt View Post
    My vote is in

    Quick, someone else vote so they don't know which option I voted for!
    Done, not sure it solved your problem.
    Magic_Matt and Sink_cut like this.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Brewster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Maitland, NSW.
    Posts
    187
    Quote Originally Posted by K_Bean_Coffee View Post
    Nice one Yelta.
    Who's brave enough to start off?
    Not me
    Mine's in.
    Come on Paul, cast your vote. I want to see who is first to split off from the herd.
    Magic_Matt likes this.

  6. #6
    CoffeeSnobs Owner Andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Internet
    Posts
    16,681
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    ...we cant edit after setting up, always seem to find room for improvement after hitting the button.
    I can edit, shoot me an email (or use contact us) with the details and I can change to suit.
    ...as long as it keep the integrity of the poll... which is why everyone can't edit!

  7. #7
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,815
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I can edit, shoot me an email (or use contact us) with the details and I can change to suit.
    ...as long as it keep the integrity of the poll... which is why everyone can't edit!
    Thanks Andy, will keep in mind, so far this one seems OK, no glaring omissions as yet.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Dandenongs
    Posts
    632
    Well, I think I'm better than yer average. But i consider a "very good" coffee one that i would have to drive a reasonable distance for. I can do it ( make a very good coffee, that is) sometimes. Not that often though.

    good topic, Yelta.
    Magic_Matt, kbc, Yelta and 1 others like this.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,815
    Quote Originally Posted by shortblackman View Post
    Well, I think I'm better than yer average. But i consider a "very good" coffee one that i would have to drive a reasonable distance for. I can do it ( make a very good coffee, that is) sometimes. Not that often though.

    good topic, Yelta.
    Thanks SBM, been contemplating it for a while.
    Magic_Matt likes this.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Vinitasse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Mornington Peninsula VIC
    Posts
    1,251
    Perhaps we need something to compare our skills against. What better standard could be set than by an Ethiopian barista in the very birthplace of our beloved bean.

    Enjoy!

    https://www.facebook.com/cocktailsfo...8992095870633/
    Magic_Matt and Smee like this.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,815
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinitasse View Post
    Perhaps we need something to compare our skills against. What better standard could be set than by an Ethiopian barista in the very birthplace of our beloved bean.

    Enjoy!

    https://www.facebook.com/cocktailsfo...8992095870633/
    Morning Vinitasse,

    Nice to see you again, our paths don't seem to have crossed much of late.

    Sadly cant open your link, not a Facebook person.

    Trust all OK your end.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,815
    Quote Originally Posted by K_Bean_Coffee View Post
    My vote is locked in Yelta. ....this is going to be interesting.
    Would be a lot more meaningful if we could encourage greater member participation Paul, I suspect we will hear mainly from people that are quite proficient.
    Magic_Matt and kbc like this.

  13. #13
    Senior Member trentski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Altona, Melbourne
    Posts
    1,578
    Cant see It on tapatalk. Just put me down for a 0.75 😎
    Magic_Matt and Smee like this.

  14. #14
    Apprentice Coffee snob
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    323
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Matt View Post
    Interesting. My expectation is that, like driving, most people will rate themselves as well above average.

    Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that in a self-selecting group.
    Im a great driver, in excess of a squillion years and a trillion miles on the road & ive never had an accident. I have noticed there have been a lot of accidents around me on the road and occasionally I get home and find body parts wedged in my grill but overall im above fantastic.

    The Espresso, not so good.

    I did vote, Abysmal, but sometimes my compliments arent so nice.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,815
    Quote Originally Posted by Smee View Post

    I did vote, Abysmal, but sometimes my compliments arent so nice.
    Mornin Smee,

    Good news, plenty of room for improvement, some of us are less fortunate.
    Smee likes this.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Magic_Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northlandia
    Posts
    1,365
    Quote Originally Posted by trentski View Post
    Cant see It on tapatalk. Just put me down for a 0.75
    You know it's out of ten, right?
    Smee likes this.

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    11
    I would kind of think that the people that are on a site called 'Coffee Snobs' would be above average at making coffee so probably responses above 5 should be expected
    Magic_Matt likes this.

  18. #18
    Apprentice Coffee snob
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    323
    Quote Originally Posted by leafrust View Post
    I would kind of think that the people that are on a site called 'Coffee Snobs' would be above average at making coffee so probably responses above 5 should be expected
    Ive got a mate that is a Carpenter, once he nailed his own hand to something.....assumptions can be dangerous sometimes.
    Andy, Magic_Matt and RavenMad like this.

  19. #19
    Apprentice Coffee snob
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    323
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Mornin Smee,

    Good news, plenty of room for improvement, some of us are less fortunate.
    Morning Sir,

    I figured, I'm not hurting anyone and I get enjoyment from it, so what the hell.

    havent started any fires yet, so I can't be that bad ...... always been my own hardest critic.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Vinitasse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Mornington Peninsula VIC
    Posts
    1,251
    Hey Yelta... I've been a very busy boy lately with juggling work at the roastery and the winery and don't have much time to play on CS lately unfortunately.

    I found a copy of the same video on YouTube so here you go:

    https://youtu.be/gCLZv4HCOfQ
    Dimal, MattyRay and Smee like this.

  21. #21
    Senior Member trentski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Altona, Melbourne
    Posts
    1,578
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Matt View Post
    You know it's out of ten, right?
    With 1 being the best, i'm a comfortable 0.75 😎
    Magic_Matt and Smee like this.

  22. #22
    Super Moderator Javaphile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Earth!
    Posts
    15,463
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinitasse View Post
    Hey Yelta... I've been a very busy boy lately with juggling work at the roastery and the winery and don't have much time to play on CS lately unfortunately.

    I found a copy of the same video on YouTube so here you go:

    https://youtu.be/gCLZv4HCOfQ
    That poor old Cimbali. I can hear it screaming, begging to be put out of its' misery, all the way over here.


    Java "Let it die in peace!" phile
    Vinitasse likes this.
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

  23. #23
    Senior Member matth3wh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Mid North Coast NSW
    Posts
    964
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinitasse View Post
    ..video..
    After watching that enlightening video I now know that I've been doing it wrong all these years! Plus, I'm going to save a lot more time now that I start frothing my goat's milk directly in the cup. #workflowp4wn
    Vinitasse and Smee like this.

  24. #24
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,815
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinitasse View Post
    Hey Yelta... I've been a very busy boy lately with juggling work at the roastery and the winery and don't have much time to play on CS lately unfortunately.

    I found a copy of the same video on YouTube so here you go:

    https://youtu.be/gCLZv4HCOfQ
    Thanks for the link, I'm speechless.
    matth3wh and Vinitasse like this.

  25. #25
    Senior Member ArtW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinitasse View Post

    I found a copy of the same video on YouTube so here you go:

    https://youtu.be/gCLZv4HCOfQ
    If that's a 1 out of 10 then I want to revise my rating upward. Truly awful (as in terrible but also - I'm full of awe at just how bad that is).
    matth3wh likes this.

  26. #26
    Super Moderator Javaphile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Earth!
    Posts
    15,463
    I think some people need to reread the description of the scoring scale:

    Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Will grade the poll from 1 the best, almost unattainable, down to 10 abysmal/undrinkable.

    Java "The definition is what?" phile
    Magic_Matt likes this.
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

  27. #27
    Senior Member level3ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,372
    I knew tamping was an irrelevant farce invented by Reg Barber and perfected by Pullman to sell me shiny things! This bloke has never heard of a tamper and look how consistent his coffees are!
    matth3wh likes this.

  28. #28
    Apprentice Coffee snob
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    323
    Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    I knew tamping was an irrelevant farce invented by Reg Barber and perfected by Pullman to sell me shiny things! This bloke has never heard of a tamper and look how consistent his coffees are!
    Mate, the secret to "consistent" is Nespresso. Just ask George Clueless.

  29. #29
    Senior Member ArtW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by Javaphile View Post
    I think some people need to reread the description of the scoring scale:

    Originally Posted by Yelta
    Will grade the poll from 1 the best, almost unattainable, down to 10 abysmal/undrinkable.

    Java "The definition is what?" phile
    Unintuitive. Just like the grind adjustment on the Macap.
    Magic_Matt likes this.

  30. #30
    Senior Member Vinitasse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Mornington Peninsula VIC
    Posts
    1,251
    Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    I knew tamping was an irrelevant farce invented by Reg Barber and perfected by Pullman to sell me shiny things! This bloke has never heard of a tamper and look how consistent his coffees are!
    Looks like he uses the grouphead as a tamper

  31. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Dandenongs
    Posts
    632
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinitasse View Post
    Hey Yelta... I've been a very busy boy lately with juggling work at the roastery and the winery and don't have much time to play on CS lately unfortunately.

    I found a copy of the same video on YouTube so here you go:

    https://youtu.be/gCLZv4HCOfQ
    Working with a local 90+?

  32. #32
    Senior Member Vinitasse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Mornington Peninsula VIC
    Posts
    1,251
    Quote Originally Posted by shortblackman View Post
    Working with a local 90+?
    Paringa Estate

  33. #33
    Senior Member level3ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,372
    I think the only thing that could be changed about this poll to make it more accurate / split up the herd a bit is defining who the compliments come from. I answered that I receive frequent compliments, because I do, but mostly from people who like coffee but don't know much about it. If the option was "receive frequent compliments from people I would consider to be fellow coffee snobs" I might have to drop down to "enjoy the fruits of my labour" because I haven't made coffee for people I consider to be at least as snobby as me very much.
    Magic_Matt likes this.

  34. #34
    Senior Member matth3wh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Mid North Coast NSW
    Posts
    964

    Rate your coffee making skills. Poll.

    Coffee beauty is in the eye of Q Grade beholder.
    Dimal and Magic_Matt like this.

  35. #35
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,815
    Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    I think the only thing that could be changed about this poll to make it more accurate / split up the herd a bit is defining who the compliments come from. I answered that I receive frequent compliments, because I do, but mostly from people who like coffee but don't know much about it. If the option was "receive frequent compliments from people I would consider to be fellow coffee snobs" I might have to drop down to "enjoy the fruits of my labour" because I haven't made coffee for people I consider to be at least as snobby as me very much.
    Forgive me! I did me best.


  36. #36
    Senior Member matth3wh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Mid North Coast NSW
    Posts
    964
    I'd try not to take it to heart Yelta. Appreciate your efforts to kick off discussion.

    And without this thread we may never have seen "that" video.
    Dimal and Smee like this.

  37. #37
    Senior Member level3ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,372
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Forgive me! I did me best.
    There's nothing to forgive Yelta! It's a good poll. I only mentioned that because it came to me after reading the thread the other day and you were talking about hoping you got it right. Please reread the start of my comment again "...the only thing that could be changed to make it better..."

    We're all on the same team here mate, Team Coffee!
    Yelta and Smee like this.

  38. #38
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    16,686
    Agree...

    Nothing wrong with the poll at all and if it gives some of us pause to think about where we really are along with our coffee journey, then I believe the poll has done an excellent job...

    Mal.
    Yelta and Smee like this.

  39. #39
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,815
    AWWWW shucks, thanks guys.

    My Abe Lincoln post was a lighthearted jibe L3n, no harm done in either direction.
    Smee likes this.

  40. #40
    Senior Member level3ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,372
    That's good. It's hard to infer tone through a screen. From what I've read you type elsewhere you seem pretty easy going, but your frowny face had me worried!

  41. #41
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,815
    Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    That's good. It's hard to infer tone through a screen. From what I've read you type elsewhere you seem pretty easy going, but your frowny face had me worried!
    Ha, "frowny face" it's meant to be a mustache, long story, a sketch done by a close friend in our rodeo days.

    Good friend, good times and yep! I kinda like the drawing.

  42. #42
    Apprentice Coffee snob
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    323
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinitasse View Post
    Hey Yelta... I've been a very busy boy lately with juggling work at the roastery and the winery and don't have much time to play on CS lately unfortunately.

    I found a copy of the same video on YouTube so here you go:

    https://youtu.be/gCLZv4HCOfQ

    He was a very proud barista, wasn't he?

    i can't say Ive ever served anything like it.....wow.
    .

  43. #43
    Senior Member level3ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,372
    By frowny face I meant the you put in your comment

  44. #44
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,815
    Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    By frowny face I meant the you put in your comment
    Fair nuff, here's a smile to balance the scales.

  45. #45
    Coffee Nut fg1972's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    450
    Peoples definition of "good coffee" varies.
    I'm pretty crap at doing latte art only because it does not interest me however I can pull a killer Italian style espresso that tastes like coffee rather than lemons.
    Dimal likes this.

  46. #46
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,815
    Quote Originally Posted by fg1972 View Post
    Peoples definition of "good coffee" varies.
    I'm pretty crap at doing latte art only because it does not interest me however I can pull a killer Italian style espresso that tastes like coffee rather than lemons.
    Try as I might, in a blind taste test I couldn't determine which coffee had been cosmetically enhanced.
    Smee likes this.

  47. #47
    Senior Member Magic_Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northlandia
    Posts
    1,365
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Fair nuff, here's a smile to balance the scales.
    Here's a moustache smiley... :-{)

    You can make this version frown... >:-{(
    ...drink coffee... :-{D
    ...or even drink Nescafé... ;-{p

    ;-{)]

    (I have a full beard)
    level3ninja likes this.

  48. #48
    Apprentice Coffee snob
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    323
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Try as I might, in a blind taste test I couldn't determine which coffee had been cosmetically enhanced.

    You're funny

  49. #49
    Apprentice Coffee snob
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    323
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Matt View Post
    Here's a moustache smiley... :-{)

    You can make this version frown... >:-{(
    ...drink coffee... :-{D
    ...or even drink Nescafé... ;-{p

    ;-{)]

    (I have a full beard)
    You can drink pharking wot ????

    ......shame on you MM!
    Magic_Matt likes this.

  50. #50
    Senior Member Magic_Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northlandia
    Posts
    1,365
    Behmor Brazen - $249 - Free Freight
    Quote Originally Posted by Smee View Post
    You can drink pharking wot ????

    ......shame on you MM!
    I know! The Royal Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Emoticons will be all over me!
    level3ninja likes this.



Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •