Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By mustang
  • 1 Post By Bazooka
  • 1 Post By Chirs
  • 2 Post By mustang
  • 1 Post By SpiceBean
  • 1 Post By mustang

Thread: mobile coffee van NOVICE here, HELP :)

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    12

    mobile coffee van NOVICE here, HELP :)

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello fellow baristas,

    I'm looking at starting my own mobile coffee business. If any one here can provide valuable information here would be most appreciated.From generators to coffee machines, to layout set up and contacts of customising vehicles...

    I'm currently enquiring through mycoffeevan, and will have a look at customcoffeevans and completefoodvans to have options and make my decision. I'm also considering picking up A 2nd hand vehicle providing it's in good condition to save start up costs.

    So far I've been offered Cumings onon generator 6kva petrol using a Wega coffee machine Pegaso &
    Brand new Van: LDV G10 brand new....

    If anyone one here has had any experience working with any of the 3 custom made mobile companies your feedback would be highly valued

    Don't be shy )))))
    matth3wh likes this.

  2. #2
    Senior Member matth3wh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Mid North Coast NSW
    Posts
    972
    Good luck in your research. Mobile coffee vans... always seems to be plenty of turn over in this space (as there is with those who have cafe/food dreams). Cogent reminder that any business comes with risks.
    Based on that should be able to pick up a second hand vehicle or even someone selling their business kitted out ready to go.

    I'll be interested to see what people suggest and I'm also interested to hear about those custom made fit out companies.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Newcastle NSW
    Posts
    179
    all the best with your venture, coffee van can be a fun way to make a living especially if you love making coffee and have great people skill ... I certainly enjoyed my coffee van experience ... before getting your coffee van please do some research on where you can operate ... I was clueless when I started my coffee van venture, I thought I could park anywhere and start dispensing smiles in a cup ... well I quickly learnt my lesson ... a second hand coffee van may be safer and limit your capital exposure should you change your mind down the track ... good luck please let us know how you go
    matth3wh likes this.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by mustang View Post
    Hello fellow baristas,

    I'm looking at starting my own mobile coffee business. If any one here can provide valuable information here would be most appreciated.From generators to coffee machines, to layout set up and contacts of customising vehicles...

    I'm currently enquiring through mycoffeevan, and will have a look at customcoffeevans and completefoodvans to have options and make my decision. I'm also considering picking up A 2nd hand vehicle providing it's in good condition to save start up costs.

    So far I've been offered Cumings onon generator 6kva petrol using a Wega coffee machine Pegaso &
    Brand new Van: LDV G10 brand new....

    If anyone one here has had any experience working with any of the 3 custom made mobile companies your feedback would be highly valued

    Don't be shy )))))

    I used to have an Onan in my coffee Van. Was a pain in the ass. kept breaking down. You cant trade when you dont have a power source! I now have an LPG coffee machine and power is from some domestic batteries through an invertor system. I wouldn't go back to diesel/petrol generator.

    I used to have a cafe2u franchise. It was a crock of shite compared to what I have now!
    matth3wh likes this.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Chirs View Post
    I used to have an Onan in my coffee Van. Was a pain in the ass. kept breaking down. You cant trade when you dont have a power source! I now have an LPG coffee machine and power is from some domestic batteries through an invertor system. I wouldn't go back to diesel/petrol generator.

    I used to have a cafe2u franchise. It was a crock of shite compared to what I have now!

    Funny you say that Chris because I was considering going with a franchise until I did some research. I couldn't understand the need of paying an adminstration fee for so much every week. Also you were a bit limited with what products you could sell and I couldn't justify that with territory restrictions. Thanks for the info about the Onon I also posted a thread about generator vs dual gas battery inverter. I'm now leaning more towards inverter because of the noise factor (quieter)

    So I take it your on your own now mobile and successful. Congrats Chris I hope to be in the same place 12 months from now.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka View Post
    all the best with your venture, coffee van can be a fun way to make a living especially if you love making coffee and have great people skill ... I certainly enjoyed my coffee van experience ... before getting your coffee van please do some research on where you can operate ... I was clueless when I started my coffee van venture, I thought I could park anywhere and start dispensing smiles in a cup ... well I quickly learnt my lesson ... a second hand coffee van may be safer and limit your capital exposure should you change your mind down the track ... good luck please let us know how you go
    Hi Bazooka,

    I know roughly where to go but need to be more thorough and diligent. My Biggest concerns will be my initial contacts, finding customers or owners who want me there 5 days a week. I'm aiming for 10-15 spots a day 5 days a week at first and then with experience grow. The hardest thing for me will be the initial phase of building trust and a relationship.
    I'm preparing for the worst and expecting a slow first 6 months of the business, that way I wont get discouraged. I will not fail in the end it is not an option)
    shewey and Bazooka like this.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by matth3wh View Post
    Good luck in your research. Mobile coffee vans... always seems to be plenty of turn over in this space (as there is with those who have cafe/food dreams). Cogent reminder that any business comes with risks.
    Based on that should be able to pick up a second hand vehicle or even someone selling their business kitted out ready to go.

    I'll be interested to see what people suggest and I'm also interested to hear about those custom made fit out companies.

    Yes I fear the risk of failure. BUT that fear drives me to succeed and do diligence!!!

  8. #8
    Site Sponsor SpiceBean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Wentworth Falls
    Posts
    46
    Hi Mustang,

    I run a vehicle-less cart, basically table and machines. This enables me to get indoors at events etc. However this is not steady work. From what i can gather your after 9-5 work? Something you might like to do is search for new office blocks with no carts in them and approach the owners to see if they will allow you to setup a permanent cart. This way you don't need a vehicle and can cut down on overheads. Obviously they will charge some type of rent but its well worth looking into. Great machines that are reasonably priced are Wega's and you can't go past Mazzer super Jully for an entry level commercial grinder that can perform under pressure and carries that reliability of any Mazzer grinder. Best of luck.

    Mike K
    matth3wh likes this.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    9
    Hi mustang,

    It's sort of off topic and might sound a bit stupid but hear me out

    In regards to getting contacts, I've noticed a few coffee vans attending local car meets/cruises - Can normally find the more established car groups/cruises on facebook and I'm sure their organisers would be more than happy to have you attend.

    Here in SA they normally meet in the big shopping centre carparks at night.

    Especially on cold nights - people always want a hot coffee!

    Anyway, don't know if that helps?

    - Ben

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael79SB View Post
    Hi Mustang,

    I run a vehicle-less cart, basically table and machines. This enables me to get indoors at events etc. However this is not steady work. From what i can gather your after 9-5 work? Something you might like to do is search for new office blocks with no carts in them and approach the owners to see if they will allow you to setup a permanent cart. This way you don't need a vehicle and can cut down on overheads. Obviously they will charge some type of rent but its well worth looking into. Great machines that are reasonably priced are Wega's and you can't go past Mazzer super Jully for an entry level commercial grinder that can perform under pressure and carries that reliability of any Mazzer grinder. Best of luck.

    Mike K
    yes i'm after full time work, I'd rather go mobile personally unless I can find a red hot spot and make a decent living in a fixed area. Thanks for the idea though I'll keep it in mind

    Cheers Michael.
    SpiceBean likes this.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by realbenyoung View Post
    Hi mustang,

    It's sort of off topic and might sound a bit stupid but hear me out

    In regards to getting contacts, I've noticed a few coffee vans attending local car meets/cruises - Can normally find the more established car groups/cruises on facebook and I'm sure their organisers would be more than happy to have you attend.

    Here in SA they normally meet in the big shopping centre carparks at night.

    Especially on cold nights - people always want a hot coffee!

    Anyway, don't know if that helps?

    - Ben
    Wow that's a great Idea Ben. It actually does help, good thinking outside the box legend !!!

    Ivan.

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    16
    Speaking of fixed spots. In sydney there are a few places that do a drive through service along main arterials. They setup in council car parks have two service lanes and presumably serve a few hundred coffees each morning. Might be worth considering.

  13. #13
    Senior Member matth3wh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Mid North Coast NSW
    Posts
    972

    mobile coffee van NOVICE here, HELP 😊

    Link below for temp locations / food stalls / carts ... sounds like this link below comes in to play with factoring in temporary locations for your cart setups. Not applicable to van I guess but there's still council regs on where you can park for different areas.

    Hope that helps.

    http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/b...ry-food-stalls

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiceBean View Post
    Hi Mustang,

    I run a vehicle-less cart, basically table and machines. This enables me to get indoors at events etc. However this is not steady work. From what i can gather your after 9-5 work? Something you might like to do is search for new office blocks with no carts in them and approach the owners to see if they will allow you to setup a permanent cart. This way you don't need a vehicle and can cut down on overheads. Obviously they will charge some type of rent but its well worth looking into. Great machines that are reasonably priced are Wega's and you can't go past Mazzer super Jully for an entry level commercial grinder that can perform under pressure and carries that reliability of any Mazzer grinder. Best of luck.

    Mike K
    Going mobile... So I'm planning on starting early mon-fri 6am-2pm
    Thanks for the idea though...
    I'm getting a mazzer grinder, so it's good to hear it does the job

    Cheers Mike!!

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    12
    Behmor Brazen - $249 - Free Freight
    Quote Originally Posted by realbenyoung View Post
    Hi mustang,

    It's sort of off topic and might sound a bit stupid but hear me out

    In regards to getting contacts, I've noticed a few coffee vans attending local car meets/cruises - Can normally find the more established car groups/cruises on facebook and I'm sure their organisers would be more than happy to have you attend.

    Here in SA they normally meet in the big shopping centre carparks at night.

    Especially on cold nights - people always want a hot coffee!

    Anyway, don't know if that helps?

    - Ben

    Hi Ben

    Funny you mentioned that... It's were my inspiration has come from local drive ins at parking spots and main roads... I have looked into it... But I've decided to chase the money rather it come to me I kinda like the idea of going mobile and not being stuck at one spot... I wouldn't rule it out though if i can find a hot spot... problem is a lot of them are taken already in Sydney. Plus it's tough completing with Mcdonalds at every main road intersection.

    Cheers Ben



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •