Results 1 to 22 of 22
Like Tree28Likes
  • 1 Post By WhatEverBeansNecessary
  • 3 Post By Andy
  • 1 Post By Yelta
  • 1 Post By herzog
  • 1 Post By CoffeeHack
  • 1 Post By Andy
  • 2 Post By Magic_Matt
  • 3 Post By Barry O'Speedwagon
  • 2 Post By Magic_Matt
  • 1 Post By Yelta
  • 3 Post By Bosco_Lever
  • 1 Post By Bosco_Lever
  • 1 Post By Rocky
  • 1 Post By Barry O'Speedwagon
  • 1 Post By Magic_Matt
  • 3 Post By speleomike
  • 2 Post By Barry O'Speedwagon

Thread: South Australian service station bans reusable coffee cups — including its own

  1. #1
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,630

    South Australian service station bans reusable coffee cups — including its own

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hygiene is certainly one of my concerns with reusable cups, I don't, and wont indulge in the practice, and whats-more will not knowingly patronise a cafe that does.

    "On The Run really has made a major mistake and I think they're underestimating how angry South Australians will be about this." I doubt it.

    "Service station chain On The Run says dirty containers present a safety risk to customers"
    South Australian service station bans reusable coffee cups9835254-3x2-700x467.jpg

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    8
    Contaminated with a heavy metal??? Wow that’s one high tech service station. Must have really good lab facilities :/

  3. #3
    Senior Member WhatEverBeansNecessary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    469
    I saw the piece this morning.

    Personally I find it a little silly. If someone want's to use their own reusable cup and accept the liability that their cup is not sanitary then so be it. I don't think the cup would touch any food contact areas so the risk is small to non-existent of cross contamination.

    Naturally the service station would have the right to refuse cups based on visual cleanliness and properly fitting under the machine.
    magnafunk likes this.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,630
    This from the City Of Adelaide site, re a similar issue.
    "Doggy Bags"

    "Many food premises, such as restaurants and cafes, offer their customers "doggy bags" to take left over food that was not eaten at the premise back home with them. The Food Act does not prevent food businesses from providing "doggy bags" to customers and so it is up to businesses to decide if they wish to offer this service. As a food business, left over food should be placed in new, food grade containers and the date should be marked on them. The Department of Health has produced stickers that food premises can place on "doggy bags" advising their customers on how to keep the food safe after taking it away. To obtain these "doggy bag" stickers, please contact Customer Centre on 08 8203 7203."

    The key words being "left over food should be placed in new, food grade containers and the date should be marked on them."


    Cross contamination is a real issue and should be addressed.

    Knowing the SA mentality, I suspect SA Health will ban reusable cups across the board, of course I could be wrong.

  5. #5
    CoffeeSnobs Owner Andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Internet
    Posts
    16,537
    Blog Entries
    1
    "Service station chain On The Run says dirty containers present a safety risk to customers"
    I have heard some horror stories of keep-cup type containers being given to a barista full of a new green furry life-form created on the floor of the car over a few month period, personally I would be sending the customer away to clean their cup, buggered if I would offer to clean it for them too.

    While this rule might seem odd to any normal human who would only ever present a clean cup there are those out there that are too selfish/lazy to protect themselves from themselves.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I have heard some horror stories of keep-cup type containers being given to a barista full of a new green furry life-form created on the floor of the car over a few month period, personally I would be sending the customer away to clean their cup, buggered if I would offer to clean it for them too.

    While this rule might seem odd to any normal human who would only ever present a clean cup there are those out there that are too selfish/lazy to protent themselves from themselves.
    "given to a barista full of a new green furry life-form created on the floor of the car over a few month period"

    This doesn't surprise me.

    "too selfish/lazy"

    Perhaps add ignorant as well.
    Andy likes this.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    SYD
    Posts
    520
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Hygiene is certainly one of my concerns with reusable cups, I don't, and wont indulge in the practice, and whats-more will not knowingly patronise a cafe that does.
    Bugger that! I'll take it in a crockery cup every time, unless I absolutely have to take it out. And I never drink coffee with a lid on. All taste perception is lost.

    And as an aside, a petrol station chain is hardly in a position to pontificate on cleanliness and hygiene!
    Magic_Matt likes this.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Jackster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Maddington, Perth. Wa
    Posts
    776
    Biggest hate about lids is i burn myself. Cant see how close the hot liquid is, and difficult to slurp it cool.
    China cup ftw! Preheated too please

  9. #9
    Member CoffeeHack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    93
    I've been living in Adelaide for just over 12 months now, though have not yet tried OTR coffee - my perception that it wouldn't be worth the time in any case?

    Being an office lackey I'm quite happy to take my Sol glass cup for takeaways, which gets thoroughly cleaned with dish soap after each use. I can imagine that a few customers front up with dirty cups, I guess a polite refusal and offer to use a disposable cup wouldn't upset too many people though?

    It's a bit ironic that this news coincided with World Environment Day...
    Magic_Matt likes this.

  10. #10
    CoffeeSnobs Owner Andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Internet
    Posts
    16,537
    Blog Entries
    1
    I guess a polite refusal and offer to use a disposable cup wouldn't upset too many people though?
    You would think that would be the case but the barista (also in Adelaide coincidentally) said they got in a huff when she didn't want to put the furry green anywhere near her espresso machine (politely I expect).
    CoffeeHack likes this.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Magic_Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northlandia
    Posts
    1,365
    Wow, some people really can't read the zeitgeist, eh.

    Include an item on the price board: "we clean your reusable cup: $20". Problem solved
    Andy and Javaphile like this.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PRL
    Posts
    2,549
    Coincidentally, early last week (i.e. before this article and thread) my other half told me that she'd gone to her regular cafe near her office, and the girl in front of her in the queue handed the person at the counter her filthy keep cup. The staff went and cleaned the cup before filling it. Ms O'Speedwagon asked whether this happened often and was told that the particular customer did this on a daily basis. Hmmm....I guess you can't alienate the customer base, but I'd at least be giving them a raised eyebrow.
    Andy, Javaphile and Magic_Matt like this.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Magic_Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northlandia
    Posts
    1,365
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Hygiene is certainly one of my concerns with reusable cups, I don't, and wont indulge in the practice, and whats-more will not knowingly patronise a cafe that does.
    Wait - are you saying you won't patronise a cafe unless they refuse to allow customers to use their own takeaway cup Yelta? I suspect you'll find your options dramatically and increasingly limited!

    I guess there's always servo coffee.
    Yelta and CoffeeHack like this.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Matt View Post
    Wait - are you saying you won't patronise a cafe unless they refuse to allow customers to use their own takeaway cup Yelta? I suspect you'll find your options dramatically and increasingly limited!

    I guess there's always servo coffee.
    Morning Matt.

    99% of my coffee drinking is home based.

    Having said that, we went into Kadina on business yesterday, decided we would have a brew, cafe/restaurant of choice was Bellagio on Taylor St.

    H had a cappa and mine was a double espresso, the coffee was well above average, here's the rub, enjoyed our coffee, went over to pay, sitting on the register was a sign advising, yep you guessed it, we will refill your own cup at a discount. it's about the only place in the area that currently serves decent coffee, will we return? probably.
    Magic_Matt likes this.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Bosco_Lever's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    QLD
    Posts
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
    Coincidentally, early last week (i.e. before this article and thread) my other half told me that she'd gone to her regular cafe near her office, and the girl in front of her in the queue handed the person at the counter her filthy keep cup. The staff went and cleaned the cup before filling it. Ms O'Speedwagon asked whether this happened often and was told that the particular customer did this on a daily basis. Hmmm....I guess you can't alienate the customer base, but I'd at least be giving them a raised eyebrow.
    Another point of view to consider.

    There are a large number of people in Australia who are completely oblivious to reality and common sense. Voting "green" and acting "green" makes them feel great about themselves and their contribution to the world, and role in saving it. It also elevates their social status. In their minds using a keep cup is good for the environment, and therefore all in their little sphere, should rally to this cause.

    They expect the cafe to clean their keep cup. Why? If they sat down in the cafe, the coffee would come in a cup . Once drunk, the crockery is taken away and washed by the cafe. They perceive no difference if they provide their own cup, and the cafe cleans it. After all, in their minds, the cost of the cup of coffee includes the dishwashing factor. The ingredients (milk and coffee) are cheap, so the cleaning of the keep cup should be performed gratis.

    This same person would also have an alternate reality when it comes to the definition of cleanliness when it applies to their room, house, car, office space, work environment etc. If others are responsible, then the standards are high. If they are responsible, then the perception is via blurry vision or alternate perception (it was clean when I bought it, first got it, so it still is... - how it actually is does not matter, it will be alright when I {or the cleaner} decide to get round to cleaning it).

    Unfortunately society tends to pander to these people, to the point where their actions are considered the norm, and speaking out against them or their behaviour is politically incorrect.

    I suppose the next brainstorming idea will be "swap and go" keep cups. Bring in your dirty cup, the cafe will give you a clean one, filled with your beverage of choice. The cafe then cleans the keep cup, and serves it up again....
    I wonder how much of a surcharge the "greenies" would be willing to pay for this??

  16. #16
    Senior Member WhatEverBeansNecessary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    469
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosco_Lever View Post
    Another point of view to consider.

    I suppose the next brainstorming idea will be "swap and go" keep cups. Bring in your dirty cup, the cafe will give you a clean one, filled with your beverage of choice. The cafe then cleans the keep cup, and serves it up again....
    I wonder how much of a surcharge the "greenies" would be willing to pay for this??
    I htink there is a business model in there Bosco!

  17. #17
    Senior Member Bosco_Lever's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    QLD
    Posts
    432
    The cup could be a solid piece of crockery. The lid can be a removable one, similar in shape to the takeaway cup lid, but made of silicon.
    Both should be able to be cleaned in a dishwasher. (I am pretty sure this product already exists).

    The cups could have the cafe brand on it, or be part of a "group".

    This idea should bring out lots of warm and fuzzy feel good emotions......

  18. #18
    Senior Member Rocky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Central Queensland
    Posts
    1,061
    Andy's story reminded me of my first experience with this in 1982. I was completing a 12 week work placement for a Social Work degree with a local government agency.
    This particular morning I couldn't find a cup for my morning coffee. I went searching around the office and file room and found half a dozen cups, all with various colours of a lush 'culture' growing in them.
    I was absolutely gobsmacked because (1) I had never seen such colourful 'cultures' and (2) I could not believe that a group of professionals could be such 'grubs'.
    Nobody there was particularly surprised/interested in this discovery. I can still 'see' those cups in my mind's eye after 36 years.
    Andy likes this.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PRL
    Posts
    2,549
    I worked for a firm of survey consultants back in the early 1990s. While nobody deliberately left a dirty coffee cup lying around, when this did happen, the boss would put them in his 'biological experiments box' which contained specimens ranging in age from 1 day to 9 months. Some of our regular clients often asked about the box each time they dropped in. Was pretty odd.
    Andy likes this.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Magic_Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northlandia
    Posts
    1,365
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosco_Lever View Post
    Another point of view to consider.

    There are a large number of people in Australia who are completely oblivious to reality and common sense. Voting "green" and acting "green" makes them feel great about themselves and their contribution to the world, and role in saving it. It also elevates their social status. In their minds using a keep cup is good for the environment, and therefore all in their little sphere, should rally to this cause.

    They expect the cafe to clean their keep cup. Why? If they sat down in the cafe, the coffee would come in a cup . Once drunk, the crockery is taken away and washed by the cafe. They perceive no difference if they provide their own cup, and the cafe cleans it. After all, in their minds, the cost of the cup of coffee includes the dishwashing factor. The ingredients (milk and coffee) are cheap, so the cleaning of the keep cup should be performed gratis.

    This same person would also have an alternate reality when it comes to the definition of cleanliness when it applies to their room, house, car, office space, work environment etc. If others are responsible, then the standards are high. If they are responsible, then the perception is via blurry vision or alternate perception (it was clean when I bought it, first got it, so it still is... - how it actually is does not matter, it will be alright when I {or the cleaner} decide to get round to cleaning it).

    Unfortunately society tends to pander to these people, to the point where their actions are considered the norm, and speaking out against them or their behaviour is politically incorrect.

    I suppose the next brainstorming idea will be "swap and go" keep cups. Bring in your dirty cup, the cafe will give you a clean one, filled with your beverage of choice. The cafe then cleans the keep cup, and serves it up again....
    I wonder how much of a surcharge the "greenies" would be willing to pay for this??
    I had a laugh, do you have trouble with seagulls having a crack at that chip on your shoulder mate?
    woodhouse likes this.

  21. #21
    Senior Member speleomike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    911
    Hi

    I read that article that said one persons cup was contaminated with heavy metal.
    Quote Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
    Contaminated with a heavy metal??? Wow that’s one high tech service station. Must have really good lab facilities :/
    The service station probably has a laser mass spec that can scan the customers cups before they get put under the PF.

    Cafes in 5 years time:
    "Yes Sir, we do accept your reusable cup. It will be an extra 10 cents to scan it with our mass spec before we can accept it. If you get our OHS Clean Cup Loyalty Card you get a free heavy metal scan of your cup every 9th scan."

    Mike

    Mike
    Dimal, Magic_Matt and cactusjack like this.

  22. #22
    Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PRL
    Posts
    2,549
    Behmor Brazen - $249 - Free Freight
    Quote Originally Posted by speleomike View Post
    Hi

    I read that article that said one persons cup was contaminated with heavy metal.
    Anthrax? I guess that would be bad. Although at least one (awful) US soft metal band would also be harmful to ones health.
    Magic_Matt and speleomike like this.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •