Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By herzog
  • 2 Post By Dimal
  • 1 Post By ghezzi
  • 1 Post By MrJack

Thread: Pour time keeps changing.

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    38

    Pour time keeps changing.

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Been roasting my own blend for the last 3 weeks, using air roaster at a local roastery.
    I'm finding every new bag of coffee I need to adjust my grinder a lot courser, but as the week progresses I gradually need to grind finer to keep the pour time within range.
    I have Expobar, but a mate uses same coffee (pre-ground) in Aeropress, he notices it gets stronger as the week progresses.

    BEANS : All sourced from here.
    ROAST: Same profile every week. 5-6 day degass.
    HUMIDITY : Same, 60% early morning to 40% after lunch. Only slight variation in pour time/or grind.

    It seems over a week I need to grind a little finer every day. Open a new bag and waste 5 shots getting the pour right, end up moving grind wheel 20+mm. (Mazzer Major)

    Am I missing something

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    253
    If you are using very freshly roasted beans (within a day or so of roasting) they will change considerably over the first week and you would expect to have to change grind setting daily.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    302
    Quote Originally Posted by ghezzi View Post
    Been roasting my own blend for the last 3 weeks, using air roaster at a local roastery.
    I'm finding every new bag of coffee I need to adjust my grinder a lot courser, but as the week progresses I gradually need to grind finer to keep the pour time within range.
    I have Expobar, but a mate uses same coffee (pre-ground) in Aeropress, he notices it gets stronger as the week progresses.

    BEANS : All sourced from here.
    ROAST: Same profile every week. 5-6 day degass.
    HUMIDITY : Same, 60% early morning to 40% after lunch. Only slight variation in pour time/or grind.

    It seems over a week I need to grind a little finer every day. Open a new bag and waste 5 shots getting the pour right, end up moving grind wheel 20+mm. (Mazzer Major)

    Am I missing something

    Is this in a home situation ? or Cafe ?
    What year where the greens harvested?
    How have they been handled / stored?

    And if your Major requires an adjustment of 20mm movement .... really??....
    Thats a massive amount of adjustment. For this size of grinder.
    Then check the Burrs / Clean out the grind chamber.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by saeco_user View Post
    If you are using very freshly roasted beans (within a day or so of roasting) they will change considerably over the first week and you would expect to have to change grind setting daily.
    From my original post.
    ROAST: Same profile every week. 5-6 day degass.

    I also use heat sealed bags with a 1 way valve.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    SYD
    Posts
    566

    Pour time keeps changing.

    Thatís still pretty fresh. Itís pretty normal for fresh beans to start tight and then open up over the next few days.

    This means you have to start the week coarse and then tighten up the grinder as the days pass. Perfectly normal.
    Dimal likes this.

  6. #6
    Site Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    929
    Suggestion:

    Check your burrs
    Mazzer is well know at having some retention check that
    Start weighing your coffee for better consistency
    Try other coffee from another roaster to compare
    Check your roast log to see if they are the same

    Regards

    Renzo

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    38
    EspressoAdventurer asked:
    Q. Is this in a home situation ? or Cafe ?
    A. I am roasting my coffee on a 2.5kg Chinook Air Roaster, housed in the front coffee shop of a commercial roastery. The small roaster is for customers to roast for themselves.
    Q. What year where the greens harvested? & Q. How have they been handled / stored?
    A. Don't know. They were sourced from here (Coffee Snobs - Andy), arrived in nice little zippered calico bags. Kept in a cardboard box on my dining room table, (I live alone )
    Q. And if your Major requires an adjustment of 20mm movement .... really??....
    Thats a massive amount of adjustment. For this size of grinder.
    Then check the Burrs / Clean out the grind chamber.
    A. Brand new machine, only done about 500 shots, just had warranty for faulty switch. Also my Minore had a major service at the same time.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by herzog View Post
    That’s still pretty fresh. It’s pretty normal for fresh beans to start tight and then open up over the next few days.

    This means you have to start the week coarse and then tighten up the grinder as the days pass. Perfectly normal.
    Normal experience with previous coffee I used was pretty much set and forget, with only minor changes to grinder position being seasonal changes or drastic changes in daily humidity.
    I had used the same coffee blend for 4 years, roasted fresh every week. I used a Has Garanti 15kg roaster for 5-8 hours every Saturday for 3 years.

    While I cannot source the exact same green beans thru Andy, the blend is very similar in relation to Country/region/estate. The taste is very similar.

    After roasting on the Chinook, beans are tested for colour inside and out, Results are very even on both counts.

    Has been suggested I try a few days longer degassing, roast tomorrow (sat) open bag Monday week.
    Last edited by ghezzi; 15th June 2018 at 12:01 PM. Reason: typo

  9. #9
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    16,864
    Quote Originally Posted by ghezzi View Post
    Normal experience with previous coffee I used was pretty much set and forget, with only minor changes to grinder position being seasonal changes or drastic changes in daily humidity.
    G'day Mate...

    Was this the case when using the Air Roaster?
    Air roasted beans do behave differently in an espresso machine than when roasted in a drum roaster.
    Also, your new Mazzer's burr-set probably hasn't bedded in yet either; can take a few Kilos of beans before absolute consistency results,

    Mal.
    MrJack and magnafunk like this.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    38
    Hi Mal, thanks for the tip.
    Old blend on drum roaster was consistent.
    New blend in air roaster behaves a little different.
    Dimal likes this.

  11. #11
    Senior Member LeroyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Woodend, New Zealand
    Posts
    2,260
    Quote Originally Posted by ghezzi View Post
    Hi Mal, thanks for the tip.
    Old blend on drum roaster was consistent.
    New blend in air roaster behaves a little different.
    I think you just answered your own question.

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by ghezzi View Post
    Hi Mal, thanks for the tip.
    Old blend on drum roaster was consistent.
    New blend in air roaster behaves a little different.

    For what its worth, i buy my beans from the coffee roaster in sydney who i think you visited the same in brisbane store (chinook roaster).

    I find their beans take about 7-8 days to settle, so i normally buy the beans at least a week before i use them. The beans they sell are very fresh each time, roasted the day or 2 before. They also keep well, can use for 3-4 weeks after roasting.

    Also i find my grinder behaves differently if the hopper is close to empty or half filled (something about the weight of the beans pushing down into the burrs i suppose), so for consistency i try keep it half filled.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Jackster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Maddington, Perth. Wa
    Posts
    979
    Yes. Grind by weight seems to need quite a lot finer grind setting.
    Also, i get that with the beans i buy. Seems to be about 1/2 notch finer each day, just to keep up with ageing beans. Sette 270w im using and a musica, beans from crema in canning vale.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,376
    Dimal likes this.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •