Results 1 to 6 of 6
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mipl
  • 1 Post By arcachon

Thread: Six of the best countries with a coffee culture- travel article

  1. #1
    Senior Member flynnaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,889

    Six of the best countries with a coffee culture- travel article

    Six of the best countries with a coffee culture

    I've long been interested in visiting Finland. Now there's another reason?

  2. #2
    Member mipl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Terrey Hills, NSW
    Posts
    43
    Australia has a very good coffee making culture, Baristas are well trained and you can get good to great coffee on every corner. At least in the bigger cities. What is lacking here is the coffee drinking culture that you find in Europe. I grew up in Germany where filtered coffee used to be the standard. But people sit down to drink coffee from a proper cup. Here in Australia people run around the city with plastic cups in their hands and are drinking great coffee through a plastic spout. What a waste (literally)!
    If I have a coffee, I want to enjoy it. Either at home on the porch or in the city in cafe. Most importantly from a real cup.

    While I am at it, the noise in a lot of cafes and restaurants here is deafening. Often you cannot have a proper conversation. There is not sound proofing, often because the venues are not purpose built or not fitted out properly. It is just a shop with a counter and a coffee machine and a few tables. Carpets and textile wall papers/coverings would already make a big difference.

    just my 2cents :-)
    Last edited by mipl; 13th July 2018 at 01:04 PM.
    Yelta likes this.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    5,993
    Quote Originally Posted by mipl View Post
    Australia has a very good coffee making culture, Baristas are well trained and you can get good to great coffee on every corner. At least in the bigger cities. What is lacking here is the coffee drinking culture that you find in Europe. I grew up in Germany where filtered coffee used to be the standard. But people sit down to drink coffee from a proper cup. Here in Australia people run around the city with plastic cups in their hands and are drinking great coffee through a plastic spout. What a waste (literally)!
    If I have a coffee, I want to enjoy it. Either at home on the porch or in the city in cafe. Most importantly from a real cup.

    While I am at it, the noise in a lot of cafes and restaurants here is deafening. Often you cannot have a proper conversation. There is not sound proofing, often because the venues are not purpose built or not fitted out properly. It is just a shop with a counter and a coffee machine and a few tables. Carpets and textile wall papers/coverings would already make a big difference.

    just my 2cents :-)
    Good observations Mipl, particularly re plastic cups and noisy cafes (one of my pet hates)

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    123
    Plastic cups not as big an issue as drinking through a lid. I very large % of your sense of taste comes from smell. If you're putting up a barrier to that aspect you aren't getting the full flabour of what you're drinking.
    herzog likes this.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    5,993
    Quote Originally Posted by arcachon View Post
    Plastic cups not as big an issue as drinking through a lid. I very large % of your sense of taste comes from smell. If you're putting up a barrier to that aspect you aren't getting the full flabour of what you're drinking.
    I find plastic anything very unpleasant to drink from, ceramic for me every time.

  6. #6
    Member mipl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Terrey Hills, NSW
    Posts
    43
    Behmor Brazen - $249 - Free Freight
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    I find plastic anything very unpleasant to drink from, ceramic for me every time.
    I agree. We go through all this effort to produce great coffees, we can at least drink it from an appropriate 'vessel' :-)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •